Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a lake that I go to near my house (Lake Bastrop) That has a lot of hydrilla floating around at the boat ramp. With my prop boat I usually don't worry about if and just go slow and make sure it doesn't get hung up on the water intake. I'm worried though about my jet boat. I don't have it running yet but I was wondering when I do, is it safe to run it there, or do weed really screw up the pump? Thanks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What the hell is Hydrilla? Was he in those 70's Jap flicks? :D
LOL.....Its a weed that we have here that take over our lakes. It's like thick grass.

·
TEN THIRTY ONE
1,293 Posts
Oh LOL! Lake grass/weed will not hurt the pump at all but if it gets sucked up the intake your boat will not get out of its own way. You'll need to jump in the water and pull the weeds out by hand. Jets dont like anything in them but water. Even the smallest piece of driftwood will kill the acceleration.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Just be careful. Hopefully that stuff is just near the marina & shallow areas. Otherwise Id find another place to boat. I stuffed my intake full of plant life in Parker last summer. If my handhole wasnt outside of the boat I would have been stranded-no way was I getting in the water-too damn cold.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very true. It's only by the shore, but I wanted to run it on the trailer on the ramp for a little while the first time I fire it up. I guess I'll go find a cleaner lake to run it on the ramp at. Thanks guys

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have hydrilla here in the Potomac. It's good for holding bass, but don't try to take a jet through it, especially if you are in a no wake zone. They mow the stuff here to keep channels into the marinas clear, and even the stuff that floats free into the marinas from the harvesters will clog your pump if your not careful.

Bob
87 Advantage 18'
BBC - Berk JG

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Very true. It's only by the shore, but I wanted to run it on the trailer on the ramp for a little while the first time I fire it up. I guess I'll go find a cleaner lake to run it on the ramp at. Thanks guys

Why not just disconnect your driveline and run it on a hose?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How difficult is it to disconnect the driveline?

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
How difficult is it to disconnect the driveline?
Usually 4 bolts on teh back of the flywheel, that you have to put in (with washers to space it) to run it. HUGE pain fopr me since I have a 3-point mount with a large bellhousing. Guys with 4-points and no bellhousing, not so bad.

Oh yea, MINE are 3/8" hex, almost requiring a ball-end allen or driver.

·
Registered
968 Posts
We have hydrilla here in the Potomac. It's good for holding bass, but don't try to take a jet through it, especially if you are in a no wake zone. They mow the stuff here to keep channels into the marinas clear, and even the stuff that floats free into the marinas from the harvesters will clog your pump if your not careful.

Bob
87 Advantage 18'
BBC - Berk JG
on the "Lower Potomac" you can pull out a 55 gallon drum full of hydrilla from the intake of a jet. No shit. Stops you dead, no water to the engine...paddles a-flyin'.

ask the Pomonkey Boys.

If you keep full throttle thru it, you got a chance. Brown Rooster, no shit.

ask SuperSoaker

1 - 20 of 24 Posts