Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Been here a while
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im currently hunting for a new career job. I know there are a lot of business owners on the boards here. Im not looking for a job from anyone here.

Im looking for advice on different places to find jobs. Im currently on Monster.com, Careerbuilder.com, and Accountemps.com.

All these sights suck and have the same listings posted week after week for insurance companies and stuff like that.

I just got my finance degree last year, and I am the office/sales manager at my current (dead end) job selling computer hardware and servers.

Any advice on a better place to look for a finance career job? Ive been searching craigslist and yahoo as well.

My ears and eyes are open for advice.

·
Full Of It.
787 Posts
At this point, you should be happy just to have a job....there's a lot of qualified folks out there looking. There simply is not a lot of hiring going on.

I get a few unsolicited resumes every week across my desk.

A personal referral is going to likely be the best break, but other than what you are doing already........maybe a professional recruiter?

·
Been here a while
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thing is, i am getting married in a little over a year from now and I would like to get into my profession now.

My current job already cut hours so we are only open monday-thursday. Its nice to have 3 day weekends every weekend, but i need the pay more. And at 25 years old, $15 an hour is not cutting it.

Like you said, im guessing the only way to get something right now is by a personal referral. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
What type of career would you like? Continuing with sales? What industy?
I know lots of career sites for the healthcare industry. Try just googling (___) job search engine. Thats how I found all the ones for the medical field.

·
Been here a while
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Join Linkedin.com and connect wth recruiters.

www.sales-talent.com
www.softwaresalesjobs.com
Thanks, I have not heard of that yet. I will check it out.

What type of career would you like? Continuing with sales? What industy?
I know lots of career sites for the healthcare industry. Try just googling (___) job search engine. Thats how I found all the ones for the medical field.
I just got my finance degree, so im hoping to do something in that category. As far as the industry goes, im open to anything except insurance. Auto industry, healthcare, electronics, manufacturing... any of these would be cool.

Ive grown up around business owners. My parents, fiances parents, and the majority of my relatives all own there own business. Also, I guess you can say im the right hand man for the CEO/Owner of the current company I currently work for. I know how to run a business, and I plan on opening my own business one day, but right now is not the time... especially in this economy.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts

I just got my finance degree, so im hoping to do something in that category. As far as the industry goes, im open to anything except insurance. Auto industry, healthcare, electronics, manufacturing... any of these would be cool.

Ive grown up around business owners. My parents, fiances parents, and the majority of my relatives all own there own business. Also, I guess you can say im the right hand man for the CEO/Owner of the current company I currently work for. I know how to run a business, and I plan on opening my own business one day, but right now is not the time... especially in this economy.

Ok Try...

www.healthcarereps.com
www.biospace.com
www.DeviceSpace.com
www.meddevicejobs.com
www.PharmaResumeBlaster.com
www.medzilla.com
www.HealthJobsUSA.com

www.indeed.com is a great one that will search every job site and all over the entire internet.

Good luck!

·
HOT SAUCE HERE
749 Posts
Recruiters are necessary but here's the catch -- USE them, don't let them USE you!

When I was looking for a job a little while ago - I found jobs on the internet and instead of applying, found out who the recruiter was, called and scheduled a meeting, sold myself to them and then told them I was interested in 'their' job. Recruiters meet hundreds of people, have an entire database full of resumes and notes (which from my experience - they DO NOT use), so its up to you to BUG them to make something happen. They get paid and get paid BIG $ to place some people into jobs - as much as 30% fees so you would think they are very motivated, but I have found a few in Phx that are and 100 that suck!

Linkedin will help you. There are tons of recruiters on there and jobs that are just on linkedin.

I have a finance degree myself and they always 'want' more...so you must be able to sell yourself and they reason 'why' you don't have an MBA, CPA, etc yet. For me its simple - I want an MBA from ASU or Thunderbird School of Mgmt (#1 Intl Business school in the world) and you must have certain experiences before you can even qualify and apply.

KNOW your market value and support it. Again, you would think the recruiters would want to get you more $ since they get paid based on your salary. NOT THE CASE - they just want to place you. If you think you are worth $60K for example, and they ask will you take $50K - they will most likely tell their 'customer' you can have this great client for $10K less than you wanted to pay. Companies like that approach but you as the recruiters client want a job but hate that approach. Its so hard to get big raises (if any) in this economy so get every penny you can up front. I have always tied my jobs structure to bonuses if possible. Very simple - you produce, the company is happy and you get paid. You don't - the company sees it as 'saving' $. Yes, as a financial analyst, finance manager, inventory manager, etc -- you can directly show a savings to the company by your work.

If you find a job you like and are interested in - search linkedin, myspace, facebook, etc and see if you can find anyone that you know that actually works there. Ask around to your friends to. You might be surprised. Getting my last job - there was someone that worked for my previous company that I never knew, but they were great friends with one of my coworkers and friends- the executives hiring asked her to do research about me. Very successful tactic.

I was told by a hiring manager that hiring is not even a 50/50 chance. There is a greater than 50% chance that the new hire will not work out, leave before 6 months, not perform as expected, etc than there is of someone that is a 'career' person. PROVE yourself to be the 'career' person.

Something else to consider is your competition: I was a finance manager going up against laid off VP of Finance, Director of Finance, Sr Analysts, etc. Companies are smart. If you were making $100K and the new job pays $60K -- they are not going to hire the big guy because (most likely) the day he can find another $100K job he is gone. Back to the career person - be that guy!

Resume -- have a professional look over your resume. You have no idea how important this is. I will even share mine with you. I probably spent 10 hours- yes, 10 hours refining this with professionals and it does pay off. 90% of the resumes are HORRIBLE and it already gives the employer or recruiter a bad or neutral vibe. You need to give a GREAT vibe immediately.

TALK IS NOT CHEAP - if you back it up. Talk with confidence, share your experiences that relate to the job you are looking for and think before you speak. From my attorney friends - tell them enough to peak their interest that relates to the job - DO not tell them everything. Make them ask some questions to be involved. This goes for the interview with a company or a recruiter.

I know thats alot, but again, I went through this end of 08 - if you are not beyond persistent but professional, you will find it very tough to find a job. I applaud what you are doing and trying to situate yourself for your future. I think its a great time to do it - just takes more effort now than it did 3 years ago.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
Patrick

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Im currently hunting for a new career job. I know there are a lot of business owners on the boards here. Im not looking for a job from anyone here.

Im looking for advice on different places to find jobs. Im currently on Monster.com, Careerbuilder.com, and Accountemps.com.

All these sights suck and have the same listings posted week after week for insurance companies and stuff like that.

I just got my finance degree last year, and I am the office/sales manager at my current (dead end) job selling computer hardware and servers.

Any advice on a better place to look for a finance career job? Ive been searching craigslist and yahoo as well.

My ears and eyes are open for advice.
Take a look at some of the online universities. they have good pay and great benefits plus free school. The finance departments are always looking for directors because they are growing so fast.

Reason they are doing so good is because any joker can qualify for financial aide and most people are using it as tough times financing.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
LOL! hold onto what you have my friend! I am 1yr3wks out of work, there is not too much going on right now! Keep a keen eye out for a new gig, but stay focused at what you have!
Stay positive too...things will come around!

·
WHTBRD
94 Posts

Right now is the perfect time to open your own company. I opened mine after 9/11 and things were in the sh!tter. Start working for yourself and hire on when you can't keep up with the work.

SJP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts