Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
"Need For Speed"
1,210 Posts
Thanks for letting us know. Joe was a true legend in his time and as you mention a pioneer and master in the Oldsmobile High Performance.

He was also a bit of a wild man! I remember the first time I talked to him back in 1979 when my younger brother had purchased a new '79 Firebird Trans Am and it came with a 403 Olds. Being the Hot Rodders that we were, we wanted to hop it up a bit. I remember discussing some HP mods and all to which he kind of "went off" on me and the 403 Olds. Me being a fairly young fellow at the time I was a little taken back with his comments. I remember replying, "Well, I know the large bore cast pistons are probably a little weak...." To which he replied...."It is not the dmn cast pistons I am worrying about, it is the "Blankety Blank Dmn" scalloped out block. If you turn it past 4500 the crank will come right back up through the middle of the block!" I got off the phone failry quickly as I thought he was crazy or something. I did not understand until later we pulled the engine at about 30,000 miles to "hop her up" and I saw the hollowed out areas bethween the cam and mains in the block. There is no meat in the bottom of a 403, then I understood his passion.

He indeed had a passion to improve the performance of your engine especially if it was an Olds. Rest in Peace old buddy and Godspeed!

Gear

·
Ralphs club member
886 Posts
RIP....a true pioneer and legendary performance icon. May he join all the 455 jet boat motors in heaven, and improve their deficient oiling systems eternally :)devil :)devil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts