Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
77 hawiian
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i am new to the jet boating world and just purchased my first jet boat it a 77 hawiian 18 foot has a 383 with a jucuzzi pump. my question is how can i tell what pump i have the most noticable thing on it is a hourse sho shaped plate with six allen screws on it 3 on each side. its at the back of the pumpwhen standing behind the boat and lokking at it. also wich pump is better the wj or yj thanks for all your help

·
History Repeating
596 Posts
Look for a metal stamp on the pump somewhere that has the model information in it. My boat is a 77 Caribbean with a WJ - they are great pumps that last a very long time with minimal maintenance :)

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
so i am new to the jet boating world and just purchased my first jet boat it a 77 hawiian 18 foot has a 383 with a jucuzzi pump. my question is how can i tell what pump i have the most noticable thing on it is a hourse sho shaped plate with six allen screws on it 3 on each side. its at the back of the pumpwhen standing behind the boat and lokking at it. also wich pump is better the wj or yj thanks for all your help

The "Plate" you refer to with Allen screws would indicate your jet as a YJ that plate serves as a manual trim adjustment for the steering deflector nozzle (the WJ bowl has a grease zerk in the bowl in the same bowl area) That trim Plate area is also where the OEM hydraulic nozzle trim was mounted if so equipt (now obsolete) As to which jet is better , they are both quality pieces IMO and well built but have different designs, functions and applications The YJ an axial flow jet and does well in big boats (crusiers , tenders, work boats etc) with low to moderate power moving big loads etc. The mixed flow WJ is more similar to the design of Berks and AT jets and lends itself to HP and performance mods , almost no parts interchange between the two Jets BTW nor can they simply "swap" out on their respective intakes . Both Jets can be modified with mixed flow "Energizer kits" , the YJ typically benifits more from such a mod in terms of performance these kits may be of the greatest advantage when repair cost for original parts outweighs the Kits ... Tom

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hey Tom,
you say it has a manual trim? How do you adjust it? Can it bring the nose of the boat down? I know its no Place diverter but can it adjust enough to bring the nose down at cruising speeds?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Hey Tom,
you say it has a manual trim? How do you adjust it? Can it bring the nose of the boat down? I know its no Place diverter but can it adjust enough to bring the nose down at cruising speeds?

While your buddy or GF drives you can hook your toes into the ski tow lean over the transom and with an allen wrench and screw driver turn the large screw in or out to trim
:D Just kidding .... that adjuster will allow you to adjust the YJ nozzle up and down from center several degrees down will force the bow in up will free it up you'll have to work with it to find the "sweet spot" call if you need help Tom

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks tom! you might be getting a call this weekend if i get stuck. this boat seems to ride a little nose high

·
Registered
517 Posts
anyone have another of these trim plates layng around that is still adjustible? i tryd to put an allen socket on mine to loosen up the set screw....after soaking it in penetrating oil....and the allen snapped off flush in the bolt head:)sphss

·
Registered
546 Posts
While your buddy or GF drives you can hook your toes into the ski tow lean over the transom and with an allen wrench and screw driver turn the large screw in or out to trim :D Just kidding .... that adjuster will allow you to adjust the YJ nozzle up and down from center several degrees down will force the bow in up will free it up you'll have to work with it to find the "sweet spot" call if you need help Tom
tom, great answer

·
Registered
517 Posts
i know a gut here in sacramento that has one but he thinks his is made of gold.:)sphss

·
77 hawiian
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks so much for all your help sound like the energiser kit is a good way to go. it works good now just not as fast as i was expecting i can live with the speed. but would like to have that big roost do they make a diverter for the wj jucuzzi

·
Registered
517 Posts
guy wanted 4 bills for the hydualic factory trim

·
Registered
517 Posts
he sells used and just based from what a new diverter costs with hydraulics....he justifies charging 1/2

1 - 17 of 17 Posts