Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys can you give me some info on this. I just added Nitrous to the boat and my boat guru mounted the Nitrous bottle very back left about 1 foot away from the headers. My question is should I be worried about anything blowing up on me?? SCOM was over here the other day and we had this discussion. I'll put up some pics later today. Any info would be great.

Thanks

OK

·
Banne'd
2,568 Posts
Did you ask you "boat guru" why he put it so close? This way you won't have to wrap it with a heater.

·
B.A.M aka "Black Azz Mike
2,925 Posts
I wouldnt never run a pressurized canister new headers. Thats a problem waiting to happen. Why didnt you put it under the bow:)bulb

·
B.A.M aka "Black Azz Mike
2,925 Posts
Guys can you give me some info on this. I just added Nitrous to the boat and my boat guru mounted the Nitrous bottle very back left about 1 foot away from the headers. My question is should I be worried about anything blowing up on me?? SCOM was over here the other day and we had this discussion. I'll put up some pics later today. Any info would be great.

Thanks

OK

Did you "Ask Phil Bergeron" yet:D:D

2,056 Posts
I wouldnt never run a pressurized canister new headers. Thats a problem waiting to happen. Why didnt you put it under the bow:)bulb
That was my opinion. I think as long as he runs water through the headers he should be ok, but I still don't think it's such a bright idea. :)bulb If it was under the bow it would be too difficult for him to remove to refill.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
If the pressure get to high it should just blow the safety relief.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Ultra is correct, it will blow the safety relief and vent all your NOS into the atmosphere. One foot from the header is to close IMO it well add excessive heat to the bottle and raise the pressure. Sometimes before the pressure blows the relief it will stick the solenoid.

If you are going to keep it that close build a heat shield for it.(IMO)

Sleeper CP:D

·
Registered
541 Posts
i would run it under the bow for three reasons one its away from the hot headers, two its out of the sun the first two would cause a increase in pressure from being in the heat and cause it to blow the safety release and then you lose $50 on a bottle fill up, and the third when you want it on you dont have to climb all the way to the back of the boat

·
not ******
718 Posts
this is where mine is, although i have no back seat, probably put a towel over it if im going to be in the sun all day. can you get a pic of yours up here? hard to tell if its too close to the headers depending on the space you have in the gunel wells.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
man, you might wanna get a fuel pressure safety switch and put it up there by the fuel solenoid;) if that thing gets low pressure on the juice, its not gonna be pretty, especially with a single carb tram.

·
Registered
325 Posts
This happened to us when we were going thru the channel at Havasu. The bottle was back by the headers, relief blew and it was loud and scary. My dad tells my mom to take me and my sister(9 and 6 years old) out on the bow (the deck was HOT).We're freakin out. He figures out what it is, "Ah it's just the nitrous". The bottle was eventually moved under the bow.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
:))eek:))

Wow, good luck with that setup. I'd yank the t-ram setup and go with a nice performer RPM or something similar OR find a dual carb top for that one...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
man, you might wanna get a fuel pressure safety switch and put it up there by the fuel solenoid;) if that thing gets low pressure on the juice, its not gonna be pretty, especially with a single carb tram.
Well he does have it rigged if the fuel presure droppes below 4psi, the Nitrous will not activate.

Billy I know we have a trip to Saguaro on Tuesday, but I think I should bring it back to Bergerons to have that bottle moved first. If it's happened to someone else than it will happen to me. I'll give you a call later.

OverKill

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This happened to us when we were going thru the channel at Havasu. The bottle was back by the headers, relief blew and it was loud and scary. My dad tells my mom to take me and my sister(9 and 6 years old) out on the bow (the deck was HOT).We're freakin out. He figures out what it is, "Ah it's just the nitrous". The bottle was eventually moved under the bow.

Well that settles it then. I will have it move under the bow. It might take me a bit longer to get to it. But I don't care. I'm not putting my wife in harms way. Thanks for the story thats all the proof I need right there. Not to mention having $50 blow right out the window.

OK

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OH one more thing

Squirtcha? and I were talking one day about different types of nitrous Shots, 50, 75, 100 and up. I am going to keep it at a 75 shot regardless of gain. I'm not going to run her to many times then she's out a here. My current status is 72mph without Nitrous. Any predictions with the 75 shot. Dan is telling me I will hardly notice a thing. What do you all think.

OK

·
Registered
151 Posts
OH one more thing

Squirtcha? and I were talking one day about different types of nitrous Shots, 50, 75, 100 and up. I am going to keep it at a 75 shot regardless of gain. I'm not going to run her to many times then she's out a here. My current status is 72mph without Nitrous. Any predictions with the 75 shot. Dan is telling me I will hardly notice a thing. What do you all think.

OK
I ran a 100 shot on a 335 hp 454 with very little noticeable difference during acceleration. It was more noticeable when the nitrous was shut off(the boat's nose dropped slightly). I gained in the neighborhood of 3-4 mph(from 62 mph w/o NOS to a best of 66 with) depending on the water conditions.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
I ran a 100 shot on a 335 hp 454 with very little noticeable difference during acceleration. It was more noticeable when the nitrous was shut off(the boat's nose dropped slightly). I gained in the neighborhood of 3-4 mph(from 62 mph w/o NOS to a best of 66 with) depending on the water conditions.
Very similar results to mine. Running 100-HP on what was a 400HP 454 (had the heads worked on this winter, gonna see. lol) Gained about 4MPH on the happy-gas.
Only good speed check run after the GPS Speedo went in was a bit choppy water, 65 dry, 68+ on the gas, heavy Taylor SS mostly stock Berk F pump.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts