Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I've had her for about a month. Had it out about 5-6 times. Twice with my son, so no foolin around those times. Starting to put my foot into it last few times out. Still not close to matting it, just roll ons mostly. Last time out, met a few friends out at the sand bar and their tellin me I am crazy to have a boat like that, its going to kill you, on and on. I just laugh and say whatever. They say it will kill me by blowing over. Now this stuff is coming from a bunch of guys that drive baja's, crown's and searay's. My question is how easily do these flatty's blow over? I believe the previous owner said it has 650+ hp. You know, I dont know why I let these pricks get to me, they could be jealous, who knows maybe they do care about me:D. I've only had it out on calm days/ maybe 5-10 winds and calm to a slight chop. Thanks Guys

Attachments

·
Hard Core Member
406 Posts
Pretty much bs, I've gone 117 in my flat. Unless you tried to go 100 plus with the nose sky high, that's the least thing to worry about. What would be more likely is to something breaks or comes loose like the rudder, prop, shaft, steering gear, etc. and get in trouble real fast. You want to bring it by some time and let me go through it let me know.
DJ

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty much bs, I've gone 117 in my flat. Unless you tried to go 100 plus with the nose sky high, that's the least thing to worry about. What would be more likely is to something breaks or comes loose like the rudder, prop, shaft, steering gear, etc. and get in trouble real fast. You want to bring it by some time and let me go through it let me know.
DJ
DJ, thats sounds like a great plan. Are you going to Wamplers?

·
Just Me
4,107 Posts
Older flats, espeicailly the short ones without plates or with fixed plates had a tendency to blow over. I took an early 60s flat over playing (the term playing is putting a favorable light on being young and totally stupid). It took a lot to get them to blow over back then, and that was before modern flats were running. Old Fords would throw rods before reaching 60 MPH. You wouldn't worry about taking a new Ford to that and then some would you? And even if you're a chevy fan you know what I mean. It is an old stereotype that some remember about flats. If it starts to lift too much pedal it. If you see the rollers coming back off it and be ready. It's very very seldom you hear of a flat going over these days and if they do it's even more rare for it to be a blow over as opposed to a roll over in a turn. A side note is that chute jackets were first used to get the driver away from the boat as it blew over as it would try to eat you in the process. Boat wisely and don't worry about blow overs. Boat foolishly and blowovers are the least of your worries. So just go have fun.

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
Quit tying that boat up to the dock!:|err

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Older flats, espeicailly the short ones without plates or with fixed plates had a tendency to blow over. I took an early 60s flat over playing (the term playing is putting a favorable light on being young and totally stupid). It took a lot to get them to blow over back then, and that was before modern flats were running. Old Fords would throw rods before reaching 60 MPH. You wouldn't worry about taking a new Ford to that and then some would you? And even if you're a chevy fan you know what I mean. It is an old stereotype that some remember about flats. If it starts to lift too much pedal it. If you see the rollers coming back off it and be ready. It's very very seldom you hear of a flat going over these days and if they do it's even more rare for it to be a blow over as opposed to a roll over in a turn. A side note is that chute jackets were first used to get the driver away from the boat as it blew over as it would try to eat you in the process. Boat wisely and don't worry about blow overs. Boat foolishly and blowovers are the least of your worries. So just go have fun.
Thats comforting to know. Thought those guys knew something I didn't know. Not close to full pass yet, running out of time this year, maybe next year. Thanks.

Quit tying that boat up to the dock!:|err
Past couple times had it out by myself. Got laid off all most 2 weeks ago. Been able to go out mid mornings. Nobody out there. Just have to find my balls to let her rip. You have admit, does look pretty good tied to the dock:D.

·
A legend to the DNR
1,166 Posts
I have had mine for over ten years and have been over 100 many times never even thought of blowing over. One has to use some common sense when boating fast like making sure the water is half way calm when trying to go fast as you can I don't see drag boats running in rough water do you. That down pedal is there for a reason have it down when you are taking off then as you get up to speed you can let off. You should be able to let the pedal go all the way up if your boat is set up right when you have the gas smashed down given her hell. ;)

·
T/E 222
745 Posts
DeweyDaddy,

Nice boat, and cool photos.

You are not going to blow that thing over. As you get more seat time and familar with the boat, you will learn where the limits are. Most important thing it to stay up on the maintenance. These boats will shake themselves apart given the chance. LOL

One more thing, if the boat ever does get to high or loose it will try to warn you by diving in on the right on the chine. This is the boat telling you to not be stupid. Have fun with your new ride.:)

·
Other Side of River
1,235 Posts
Your kid will never forget you bought that boat.50 years from now he will still be talking about it. Enjoy.:)devil

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
One thing you do have to pay attention to if you don't have a whirl a way is if you panic and let off the gas tooooo fast on a 100 mph pass and nose into a roller, the boat can pitch you and your passenger out of it and without a kill switch it can run you over or somebody on shore minding their own business............... Kill switch is mandatory. Some people in the slower boats don't want a prop release because the don't slow down as fast. ...............

·
Coors Light Tour - 2010
341 Posts
Hey there,

Looks like a nice boat, and I hope you and your kid enjoy the heck out of it. I can't ditto enough what Coleman II said about checking your hardware frequently. Make sure you have safety collars on where they are supposed to be, and make sure things are tight. Make sure your steering cable is tight not loose.

You should be plenty safe with that setup, as long as you aren't driving like an idiot. One other thing that no one has mentioned is that bouncing is BAD. Hopefully your boat rides nice and flat, at all speeds.

.... and what I think the other guy was saying was "Stop tying that boat up to the dock"....NOT "it looks nice tied up to the dock". But I'm SURE what he meant was .....
Welcome to the Flatty World of
:
1. always having to hold your boat when it's in the water
2. Never again getting to park your boat up on the shore
3. Never again getting to use the courtesy dock
4. No more tying up to friends boats in the middle of the lake

Yet, we all still LOVE our flatties...

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have had mine for over ten years and have been over 100 many times never even thought of blowing over. One has to use some common sense when boating fast like making sure the water is half way calm when trying to go fast as you can I don't see drag boats running in rough water do you. That down pedal is there for a reason have it down when you are taking off then as you get up to speed you can let off. You should be able to let the pedal go all the way up if your boat is set up right when you have the gas smashed down given her hell. ;)
I hope to try that soon. Lets keep this warm fall going. Thanks

DeweyDaddy,

Nice boat, and cool photos.

You are not going to blow that thing over. As you get more seat time and familar with the boat, you will learn where the limits are. Most important thing it to stay up on the maintenance. These boats will shake themselves apart given the chance. LOL

One more thing, if the boat ever does get to high or loose it will try to warn you by diving in on the right on the chine. This is the boat telling you to not be stupid. Have fun with your new ride.:)

Thanks, Some of you know me on the forum, went from weedwacker to jet to v-drive. Still have the jet, but the v-drive gets me going:D. Thanks Nice pic. My son isn't too crazy about the V-Drive yet, maybe he sense's a little of my nervousness, I think he'll warm up to it as I gain more confidence.

Your kid will never forget you bought that boat.50 years from now he will still be talking about it. Enjoy.:)devil
I hope so. Big 50 coming soon. Thanks

One thing you do have to pay attention to if you don't have a whirl a way is if you panic and let off the gas tooooo fast on a 100 mph pass and nose into a roller, the boat can pitch you and your passenger out of it and without a kill switch it can run you over or somebody on shore minding their own business............... Kill switch is mandatory. Some people in the slower boats don't want a prop release because the don't slow down as fast. ...............
Thanks V. Have some issues with the in out lever. Long story. Have all winter to figure out.

Hey there,

Looks like a nice boat, and I hope you and your kid enjoy the heck out of it. I can't ditto enough what Coleman II said about checking your hardware frequently. Make sure you have safety collars on where they are supposed to be, and make sure things are tight. Make sure your steering cable is tight not loose.

You should be plenty safe with that setup, as long as you aren't driving like an idiot. One other thing that no one has mentioned is that bouncing is BAD. Hopefully your boat rides nice and flat, at all speeds.

.... and what I think the other guy was saying was "Stop tying that boat up to the dock"....NOT "it looks nice tied up to the dock". But I'm SURE what he meant was .....
Welcome to the Flatty World of:
1. always having to hold your boat when it's in the water
2. Never again getting to park your boat up on the shore
3. Never again getting to use the courtesy dock
4. No more tying up to friends boats in the middle of the lake

Yet, we all still LOVE our flatties...
Thanks. I think I'll copy / paste that and laminate it. Good stuff. You know only been a month and all that stuff there is no bull. :D Never had worry too much how I faced the jet on the sand bar but the flat, better have the bow pointed in the right direction.

·
Registered
20,026 Posts
Please please make sure your lil buddy has his life jacket on at all times please and you too..............;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts