Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just wanted to introduce myself. I am in Spokane, and am "fresh meat" to this boating scene. Been doing Hot rods, Customs and Harleys all my life and finally decided to get into the Jet Boat FUN!!! Been looking at a few for sale locally, and am trying to get a '72 Rogers as I type this, Don't "BANG" on me too hard for being new, but you gotta start somewhere right? Thanks, Ken

·
NW Spectraholic
588 Posts
Welcome! What size/model Rogers? I don't think anyone will think bad about you picking one up. We have a local boat forum at skagenboats.com that you should check out as well. We have a few from Spokane there already.

·
Registered
773 Posts
V-drives

have you thought of getting a v-drive boat. there are a couple really sweet boats here in the spokane area. as a friend of mine has said they are the crotch rocket on water. i have one and love it. they also burn 70 per cent less gas. i have owned jets and all they do is suck then blow HEHEHEHHEHE.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That Rogers didn't turn out as promising as I thought it would be!! It was a '72 with an Olds 455 and rochester, but he couldn't get it running and it was an "enclosed engine" type, and the back where the Berkley was mounted looked a little rotted to me, I weld aluminum all day at work, but I aint no wood-worker Ha - Ha!!
How/what is that V-drive?? Is that the type where the motor is connected to a shaft towards the front of the boat then another shaft goes towards the rear out the back??? To be honest I just wanna go fast and have the motor "out in the open" with a tunnel ram and headers pointed out back!!!!!. I am sure that is pretty generic, but I like loud and fast!! and able to seat 4 people. I guess I'll have to do some research into that V-drive, don't wanna spend a lot of money at first, as I am new to this, and the wife is just shaking her head as my harleys and Impalas have soaked a bit of money out of us in the past!!!
That Skagen site is KOOL!!!! Especially with that recording of a "TRUE blown motor" Sounds like the caklefests I go to!!! It gave me goosebumps it sounds SOOOOO good!!! Thanks for the Welcome guys, I appreciate it, and look forward to "hanging out" and learning alot here...Ken Carvalho

·
NW Spectraholic
588 Posts
The V-drives are definately the top of the hot boat food chain, but they tend to earn the title of trailer queen in mixed company cuz they like flat water. Many smaller jets don't like waves either, so give it some thought as to what your back and neck can take.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info!! Hadn't thought about the "josouling" of the back/neck, my chopper is a Hardtail so I am "assuming" I should be able to take what the water can give??!?!? I hope???? Thanks again,
BTW that ride you have in your avitar, is WHAT I am looking for except I want a BIG ASS motor sticking up out the back!!! I really like the lines/stance of your boat!!!!

·
Registered
773 Posts
V-drives

that is a picture of my v-drive with me driving it. if you would like some more details and see one up and close and in person let me know. i would be more than happy to show you. thanks larry

·
Registered
231 Posts
Spokane area Boats.

Aluminum welder , impala owner, your already one of my favorites. If you want to get a look at some v-drive boats there are 6 race and pleasure boats up at Bill's Heliarc in north spokane for your viewing. The address is N.53ll Julia , phone Dave(owner) at 509 994-7494 if you would like to talk to someone about boats. My first car was a 1961 bubble top. Jimmy D.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Aluminum welder , impala owner, your already one of my favorites. If you want to get a look at some v-drive boats there are 6 race and pleasure boats up at Bill's Heliarc in north spokane for your viewing. The address is N.53ll Julia , phone Dave(owner) at 509 994-7494 if you would like to talk to someone about boats. My first car was a 1961 bubble top. Jimmy D.
Jim, are you taking the boat to TnR next weekend?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Thanks for the info!! Hadn't thought about the "josouling" of the back/neck, my chopper is a Hardtail so I am "assuming" I should be able to take what the water can give??!?!? I hope???? Thanks again,
BTW that ride you have in your avitar, is WHAT I am looking for except I want a BIG ASS motor sticking up out the back!!! I really like the lines/stance of your boat!!!!
Ken,
There's a big difference between a Jet and V-Drive and how they ride. You are more than welcome to stop by anytime. Maybe we'll get together and talk about this 1964 Impala I have and you can give my son some tips on it. I also have 2 Jet boats for sale currently:D Sold the other 2 this past weekend:)devil

·
Registered
231 Posts
TnR not sureyet , still have some issues with b-boat

I'm not sure we are in the middle of the pack yet so Levi and dave are helping me with some fixable problems. Toys-- are you going over ? The flatbottom list seems to be growing, nice to see a full field. Jimmy D.

·
NW Spectraholic
588 Posts
We've only had this one for a year and a half and love it. I wish it had a huge motor sticking out of it too sometimes, but I notice everyone that rides in it loves how quiet it is and how good it handles chop. Always nice to get girls in it. ;)

·
Registered
981 Posts
I'm not sure we are in the middle of the pack yet so Levi and dave are helping me with some fixable problems. Toys-- are you going over ? The flatbottom list seems to be growing, nice to see a full field. Jimmy D.
I am considering it. I'm heading over to Seattle anyways next weekend to look at a boat. May just make a weekend out of it. Trying to get back into the Racing myself but gotta find the right boat and setup for me first. Of course, $$ helps too ;)

·
Registered
981 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW, thanks for the kind words guys!!! Seems like a lot of other boards I "visit" are MUCH harsher to "fresh meat" such as Kustoms, Harleys, & Hot rod sites" I visit (thank god I have been a member on those for YEARS now) !!! I am gonna take you guys up on your visit offers!!!
I have another one I have to go check out this weekend. A divorce sale. A guy at work told me about it today, but he needs to get more info. He said from what he remembers, it was "just custom painted", had a 383 Stroker built, but not installed, it's a V-drive flat bottom and then....It has sat for 2 or 3 years OUTSIDE uncovered!!!! The ex WANTS IT GONE. He will get me the address and specifics as soon as he can get ahold of her!! AGAIN thanks guys, Ken

·
Registered
773 Posts
v-drive

hey ken let me know when you go look at that v-drive there are a few things that you need to know about or to look for so you do not end up with a big peice of shit. that will cost you a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. i have any mid to late afternoons where i can go with you to check out the boat. thanks larry

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jeez, I've been gone a bit!! Between a graduation (with family arriving) dealing with my tennants (renting to family = bad idea!!) and getting the dreadfull "we are having a lay-off at the end of the month" news, things have been hectic and F'in crazy here!!
Larry, sorry I didn't get back to you I just didn't have the time, B.B.T's. as soon as things settle here I will get ahold of you and help your boy out anyway I can with that Impala....

Ken

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Welcome to our hobby-Boats are almost ALL cool, and there is such a variety of stuff out there- performance boating become the best outlet for us gearheads.

Unlike cars youll find there an unlimited # of boats in various stages.

Boats are all centered around the drive systems.
ALL drive systems involve compromises to some degree-

V-drive - can handle ridiculous HP- but cant be beached, backs up like crap

Jet - can handle ridiculous power less efficient than props through handling characteristics are unique, but are simple and relatively cheap.

I/O cant really handle super large power without major bucks, but very easy to live with. at moderate power levels

Arneson- also unique super efficient,

Outboard- nuff said. Nothing like a 3 litre 2 stroke v6.

Its all good keep us posted. Ive modified owned and worked on ALL of these it it was all good fun and unlike a car when its ready to roll you can always find someplace with NO speed limits to try it at.

Uncle Dave

·
Registered
399 Posts
welcolm aboard Ken, Please take these guys up on the offer when looking at boats. I have a mini day cruiser v drive, in which i love. Though i miss my flatty v drive for the fun factor.

Try to meet up with us at the lakes and ask for a ride, that can weigh huge on what factor to look for in a boat.

Both jets and v drives have their plus and minuses, I grew up v drives, but being exposed to all the guys at skagens where majority of guys are running jets, I have to say they are all hot rods on the water. Good luck on your venture, and post up some pics when you decide.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts