Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
turn over your engine ?

Just finished you the Winterizing project. After all the rocker's were backed off I put a torque wrench on the engine to turn it over. Pump disconnected and alternator off; it took 41 lbs. ft of torque to turn over the 565" engine. It's a pretty cool day in El Cajon today.

Have you ever turned your engine over with a trq. wrench ?

Sleeper CP

Big Inch Ford Lover :D

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Not with the rockers off and the plugs still in.:D
That's funny, I don't recall if the plugs were in or not..... I guess I'll go check. :)sphss

I'll get back to you on that.....:)Unsure

Sleeper CP :)bulb

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I did that once....... lol

You're in good company.... make that two of us. But I'm not sure how many were in :)Unsure

With all of them out it was 30 ft. lbs of torque to turn over ,but it's a cool day (58*) and there's Lucas oil stabilizer in the system.

4.6" bore, 4.25 stroke, with Total Seal zero gap rings standard tension.

Sleeper CP :D

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
You're in good company.... make that two of us. But I'm not sure how many were in :)Unsure

With all of them out it was 30 ft. lbs of torque to turn over ,but it's a cool day (58*) and there's Lucas oil stabilizer in the system.

4.6" bore, 4.25 stroke, with Total Seal zero gap rings standard tension.

17 to 20 lbs without the heads on, so I would say you are in the safe area. IMLAO. M

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it takes more know then it did before
Would you like to explain ????

Oh, because of your valve springs, got it, with mine (rocker's) bolted down it's a bunch, but I did pull about 75-80 psi open pressure off the over the nose # last year. Didn't need that much psi with the Ti intake's. I'm thinking about bumping them back up next year when I drag her to the track just in-case I need 350hp worth on Nos. :|err

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have an unfired 509 ( 4.500X 4.00) on the engine stand.
If I can remember I will check it tomorrow.

Jim

·
Registered
441 Posts
What is special about the Lucas oil stabilizer that it would make the rotation of the assembly different? More slick?

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is special about the Lucas oil stabilizer that it would make the rotation of the assembly different? More slick?
Less slick.... it's pretty tacky, not sure how much it would add to the rotational friction but it doesn't make it easier. I put it in for the Winter so it would stay on the bearings,roller lifters and rockers. Put in two quarts and ran it for about 20 minutes a few weeks ago.

Not even sure if it's measurable though ?

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Less slick.... it's pretty tacky, not sure how much it would add to the rotational friction but it doesn't make it easier. I put it in for the Winter so it would stay on the bearings,roller lifters and rockers. Put in two quarts and ran it for about 20 minutes a few weeks ago.

Not even sure if it's measurable though ?

You're a sick man, Jon....:)devil:D

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
For what it's worth, I've read about checking before and after drag when correcting valve train geometry and the changes were pretty significant. Next time you're bored, reset the lash, pull the timing chain and see what it takes to roll the cam.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For what it's worth, I've read about checking before and after drag when correcting valve train geometry and the changes were pretty significant. Next time you're bored, reset the lash, pull the timing chain and see what it takes to roll the cam.
What makes you think I was bored....:)bulb ;)

Sometime at the end of January or early February the engine will be coming out so I can flip the boat to work on the bottom. I'll be changing head gaskets and drooping the pan to check out a few things. I might play with it then.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts