Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Just pulled the plugs on the headers, block and sea strainer. Hose running as we speak to wash a little sand out. I have some anti freeze in the garage. Was wondering, have a small unit heater hanging in the garage. Use to keep it on through winters when I had my drag cars. Kept it about 40-45*. Turned it up when I went out there to work. I am thinking about just leaving the plugs out. Question, would you lay over with water or dry. Thanks

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
You bet. I've seen them rust right through from the water jacket right into the cylinder. It's not worth taking the chance to leave air in there all winter long. ESPECIALLY in a heated garage. Warmer temps speed the rusting.
Duane HTP

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And don't forget to check the pump and make sure there is no water in it.
Didn't see any drain on the pump, will look again in the mornin. Thanks

You bet. I've seen them rust right through from the water jacket right into the cylinder. It's not worth taking the chance to leave air in there all winter long. ESPECIALLY in a heated garage. Warmer temps speed the rusting.
Duane HTP
Looks like I'll be going back to Murry's for more anti- freeze. Thanks

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How many of you guys use Sta-Bil. Never used that product. Should I worry about the carbs. Oh, also some people like to take the valve covers off to back off the rockers, alot of spring pressure there, what do you guys think. I more or less did it on my cars because of blown head gaskets, ran lots of the NOS and if it was near the end of the season left the rockers off.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
How many of you guys use Sta-Bil. Never used that product. Should I worry about the carbs. Oh, also some people like to take the valve covers off to back off the rockers, alot of spring pressure there, what do you guys think. I more or less did it on my cars because of blown head gaskets, ran lots of the NOS and if it was near the end of the season left the rockers off.
Just my .02...if you have a roller cam, you may want to back off on the rockers. Other wise I wouldn't bother. I suppose sta-bil works, if you're boat is only going to sit for 2 or 3 months, I wouldn't stress over it.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just my .02...if you have a roller cam, you may want to back off on the rockers. Other wise I wouldn't bother. I suppose sta-bil works, if you're boat is only going to sit for 2 or 3 months, I wouldn't stress over it.
Thanks for your .02. :)devil Do have some heat in there. I'll just top off with some good gas in the Spring.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Top it off now before you put it away. A full tank does not draw condensation like one half full will. A full tank does not let near as much air get to the gas either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts