Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Old Skool Member
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tell me that due to China products and the big box stores they are having to close their family business after 44 years. I feel really bad for them but I guess it is the way it is going these days. They were a furniture manufacturing company and their overhead was just too much to compete. Yes, they are in S CA and the red tape and all the other requirements just killed them as well as the lower quality products on the market.

Sad to see them go.........:(

I guess it is progress??????????????

·
Registered
322 Posts
Unfortunately, this is an all too familiar story these days, and I'm not sure there is anything we can do about it.

We've all heard about the rise of China (and India and Brazil and others), but how many realize that their rise is being accompanied by a simultaneous decline in our standard of living. We have transitioned from being the world's leading "producer of goods" to the world leading "consumer of goods". (Check out "The World is Flat" by the economist Thomas Friedman. A good explanation of how our competitive advantage, and therefore our standard of living, will decline as others rise).

The only hope is if we start voting with our dollars, direct our spending towards "made in US" goods, and get laws that support instead of suppress business in our country. I'm not sure if this is even possible, given the extent of globalization and our supply chain being so dependent on foreign materials.

On that cheery note, happy Friday! Have great weekend...:)violent11

·
Registered
785 Posts
sad times when quantity surpasses quality...

i always try to support the family run shops.

·
Az Desert Dweller
2,436 Posts
A history teacher once told my dad when he was in high school, "America will eat itself alive from the inside out", pretty much what has been happening for the last couple of years.

Here is a question, why are we so friggin intent on building up other countries instead of ours ??, ie China, who really doesn't like us or our ways, India, what have they ever designed or built, again lots of cheap labor, and so on.....

I think its really the dumbing down of America when we continue to give away the farm.

·
Cross Member
104 Posts
Don't shop at china central (aka walmart) or other places that bring in absolute crap from china and sell it for cheap.

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
Went shopping for a fold-up reclining beach/camping type chair at REI and Bass Pro today and could not find one damn chair that was not made in China. Pisses me off. And they are all pieces of crap the way they are built and cheaply rivited together with flimsy plastic crap pieces that you just know will be lucky to last one year in use. :((((((

I'm sorry to hear about this business also. Quality US furniture (and most everything else) is becoming extinct at a rather alarming rate.

I get probably 10 emails a week from factories in China wanting to make various crap for me. There are very few things I buy that are imported. Sometimes there just is no choice (like my chair example above). :mad:

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
I get probably 10 emails a week from factories in China wanting to make various crap for me. There are very few things I buy that are imported.
I take the time to send them back a nice response. Makes me feel better

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
Who's fault is this really. Let's all just keep shopping for cheap sh*t made in China at Wal-Mart , Harbor Freight Tools etc.

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
Who's fault is this really. Let's all just keep shopping for cheap sh*t made in China at Wal-Mart , Harbor Freight Tools etc.
Not me pal.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Even my rival Culligan moved to China , fockem:)hand So everyone buy a Kinetico made in America by americans:)devil

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Look up ZipDee and buy one of those chairs if you like the style. Not cheap but will last forever. I've got some that have to be at least 25 years old and the new ones are made exactly the same.

Went shopping for a fold-up reclining beach/camping type chair at REI and Bass Pro today and could not find one damn chair that was not made in China. Pisses me off. And they are all pieces of crap the way they are built and cheaply rivited together with flimsy plastic crap pieces that you just know will be lucky to last one year in use. :((((((

I'm sorry to hear about this business also. Quality US furniture (and most everything else) is becoming extinct at a rather alarming rate.

I get probably 10 emails a week from factories in China wanting to make various crap for me. There are very few things I buy that are imported. Sometimes there just is no choice (like my chair example above). :mad:

·
Cross Member
104 Posts
Ummm. It's the fault of jack-hole people like you who buy that crap.

By the way a question mark goes at the end of a sentence when there is a question asked. Not a period.

Just the other day I needed a radius gage set for the shop. Went to the local supply. They had a Starrett for $125 and a china import for $30
I said let me look at both of them. Yes, I could have bought a set for $30, but looking at the quality of the American and the incredible lack thereof on the cheap import I took the Starrett. Seemed to surprise the counter sales guy there.

·
Registered
634 Posts

By the way a question mark goes at the end of a sentence when there is a question asked. Not a period.

Just the other day I needed a radius gage set for the shop. Went to the local supply. They had a Starrett for $125 and a china import for $30
I said let me look at both of them. Yes, I could have bought a set for $30, but looking at the quality of the American and the incredible lack thereof on the cheap import I took the Starrett. Seemed to surprise the counter sales guy there.
Actually I interpreted his statement as sarcasm...
Unfortunately there are many items that are no longer made in the USA which eliminates choice. The original argument that products from other countries are better quality, a la vehicles from Japan, doesn't necessarily ring true today. Prison labor, child labor, etc allows cheaper products but lacks quality. USA consumes but doesn't produce so we are digging a big hole......just my .02

·
Premium Member
892 Posts

Hey Hemmingway

If I was posing the sentence as a question, I would have used a question mark. However, I was making an observation, therefore I used a period. I will however concede that even when asking a rhetorical question (see definition below), that a question mark is the more appropriate grammatical symbol. Thank you for clearing that up for me. If we didn't have a literary genius like you monitoring these boards, all communication would be lost; many of us would never be able to effectively convey our point(s). So I'll make it one more time.

We (society in general) have become a nation of cheap asses and will by the cheapest crap we can get our hands on. For the most part this observation does not apply to the people here.

BTW, I haven't been inside a Wal-Mart or Harbor Freight in years. Every last piece of furniture in my house was made in America. My four cars and my motorcycle are American. I don't own a tool that was made in China (and I own a bunch of tools).

I was unable to run a spelling or grammar check on this post, so review it and please try to give me a passing grade this time.

Definition
A rhetorical question is an illocutionary act that

·is not generally used with the expectation of an answer but with some different, indirect force, such as

• a command
    • a tentative statement, and
    • an evaluation.

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
I broke my Craftsman handled lops I bought 10-12 years ago, (when they were made in America) took them to Sears and they exchanged them for made in China crap. I would have gladly bought another set like I had, had they not exchanged them. I am not disgusted very often.

The set I have now do not look like they will last 10 years.

Brian

Actually I interpreted his statement as sarcasm...
Unfortunately there are many items that are no longer made in the USA which eliminates choice. The original argument that products from other countries are better quality, a la vehicles from Japan, doesn't necessarily ring true today. Prison labor, child labor, etc allows cheaper products but lacks quality. USA consumes but doesn't produce so we are digging a big hole......just my .02

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Not just the consumers fault.

Note the the families factory was in CA, this state is anti business to the extreme.:|err:|err

With all the fedearl regulations, state on top of it, EPA fcn bull crap, insurance etc. companies in the US can not compete. They're being strangled.:|err:|err

·
Hub Cap Annie & Wheel
1,926 Posts
Hey Hemmingway

If I was posing the sentence as a question, I would have used a question mark. However, I was making an observation, therefore I used a period. I will however concede that even when asking a rhetorical question (see definition below), that a question mark is the more appropriate grammatical symbol. Thank you for clearing that up for me. If we didn't have a literary genius like you monitoring these boards, all communication would be lost; many of us would never be able to effectively convey our point(s). So I'll make it one more time.

We (society in general) have become a nation of cheap asses and will by the cheapest crap we can get our hands on. For the most part this observation does not apply to the people here.

BTW, I haven't been inside a Wal-Mart or Harbor Freight in years. Every last piece of furniture in my house was made in America. My four cars and my motorcycle are American. I don't own a tool that was made in China (and I own a bunch of tools).

I was unable to run a spelling or grammar check on this post, so review it and please try to give me a passing grade this time.

Definition
A rhetorical question is an illocutionary act that

·is not generally used with the expectation of an answer but with some different, indirect force, such as

• a command
    • a tentative statement, and
    • an evaluation.

EPIC!!:)devil

1 - 18 of 18 Posts