Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
umm well i a have a 88 eliminator with a faded gel coat and was wondering if wet sanding it is really a good idea and if it works as well as it is says to?

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
It will work. But after time the chalkness will reappear.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
A good quality wax has alot to do with slowing down the process, and if done regularly, can stop it. The chaulkiness is caused by the uv the sun puts out. Its really hard to beat a carnauba wax. One of the worst things you can put on any type of finish is a product that contains silicone.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Does Carnuba yellow the gel after repeated use?
Thanks in advance!
Todd
I've never seen it yellow any type of finish. It generally just wears off from the elements. The number of coats for maintenance kind of depends on the elevation. Here its a mile high so the uv is brutal on finishes. On all the boats I've ever had, I generally put it on every couple months depending on the use. One of the best and easiest ways to apply it is by hand and then buff with one of those cheap forty dollar buffers. A cheap 100% cotton dish towel and bath towel are all you need. Its really easy to tell when its wearing off. When its fresh, the water literally beads like crazy, and when its wearing it starts sheating off. One major benefit on a boat is it makes wipe downs after use much quicker. Water spots are easy to control with a good coat as well. One downside is it makes the deck very slick. Its not going to make a chaulkey finish shiney. But after you bring the shine back, it makes a huge difference in the appearance. It makes a black show finish look stunning. People have gotten away from it in favor of the much easier spray on stuff. Much of that stuff has silicone, which is very very bad for your finish, car or boat. I guarantee you its worth the 15-20 bucks and a couple hours of your time to try it.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
I've never seen it yellow any type of finish. It generally just wears off from the elements. The number of coats for maintenance kind of depends on the elevation. Here its a mile high so the uv is brutal on finishes. On all the boats I've ever had, I generally put it on every couple months depending on the use. One of the best and easiest ways to apply it is by hand and then buff with one of those cheap forty dollar buffers. A cheap 100% cotton dish towel and bath towel are all you need. Its really easy to tell when its wearing off. When its fresh, the water literally beads like crazy, and when its wearing it starts sheating off. One major benefit on a boat is it makes wipe downs after use much quicker. Water spots are easy to control with a good coat as well. One downside is it makes the deck very slick. Its not going to make a chaulkey finish shiney. But after you bring the shine back, it makes a huge difference in the appearance. It makes a black show finish look stunning. People have gotten away from it in favor of the much easier spray on stuff. Much of that stuff has silicone, which is very very bad for your finish, car or boat. I guarantee you its worth the 15-20 bucks and a couple hours of your time to try it.
Hmmm, very interesting!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts