Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just wanted to get your opinions on the K&N flame arrestors? There is quite a bit of mixed info from what info I could find and it wasn’t anything directed toward big blocks or performance boats mainly 4.3’s.
Anyway, I have a tiny little flame arrestor on my boat that I know in fact is choking it out. So bad I have to run it without it which I’m not comfortable running no flame arrestor. And yes I have cleaned it. I am in between just getting a larger flame arrestor from cpperformance for around $70 or deciding if it’s worth the extra $50 or so for a K&N. I have run them on vehicles before and do not care for them on fuel injection cars whatsoever I have always had trouble with them causing hard starts. But on a carved boat I would be willing to spend the money and give it a try if it’s a better suit.

·
Jet boat service
126 Posts
Flame arrestor

Years ago we dynoed a 500 HP BBC and found that the short 5 " arrestor could cost anywhere from 3 to 5 HP. I use the stainless 8" dia flame arrestor and it seems to work fine for most applications.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
True flame arrestors offer no filtering capability. K&N flame arrestors also provide clean, dirt free air to your engine, on top of providing backfire protection. You would be amazed at the amount of grit that flushes from the K&N on my HP500EFI every year, junk that is not being injested by my engine. On my Cole I have two 10" K&N's, covered while trailering, that provide clean air to the 565. I also used K&N filters on both my race cars, low 9's SBC Vega, and low 8's 540 Lumina.

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
I have a 5 3/4" diameter by 3" high stainless flame arrestor on my 460 that has been slightly pumped up from the original 320 hp to 400 hp.....I have been running it this way for 12-13 years with no problem- I have not seen the K&N flame arrestors.

The area of different size arrestors; 5 3/4 x 3 = 54 sq. inches, the 8 x 2 = 50 sq. inches, and the 8 x 3 = 75 sq. inches....

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I use K&N on everything. You would be shocked what get sucked up in a motor. Everything from paint chips to rubber dust from fan belts and such. Fan belts wear out. What comes off them has to go somewhere and more then likely into that giant vacuum on the top of the motor. I just 3 replaced today in two boats because they had been washed so many times they lost all the red color in them and looked bad but that was after like after 5+ years.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
I use K&N on everything. You would be shocked what get sucked up in a motor. Everything from paint chips to rubber dust from fan belts and such. Fan belts wear out. What comes off them has to go somewhere and more then likely into that giant vacuum on the top of the motor. I just 3 replaced today in two boats because they had been washed so many times they lost all the red color in them and looked bad but that was after like after 5+ years.

Are you sure that red color wasn't oil for the filter?
I run a large K&N filter on my blown 540, and after it gets cleaned most of the red is gone, but returns after I re-oil it using their products.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts