Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know that K&N sells a CG approved Flame arrestor but is that filter actually any different than the standard one? There are no visible differences and they seem to be the same element so my I question is whether all the elements are constructed the same and will work in a closed engine compartment?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I wondered the same thing when I purchased my K&N velocity stack/flame arrestor units. They list the same element as a replacement for both the marine applications and automotive usage however the lid on my units have the USCG approval stamped on the edge, nothing I could find on the elements. I paid the few dollars extra for the peace of mind should I ever be placed under a microscope by some over zealous and under informed LEO.

I believe the flame arrestor law only applies to enclosed engines, and those below the level on the gunnels but I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I know that K&N sells a CG approved spark arrestor but is that filter actually any different than the standard one? There are no visible differences and they seem to be the same element so my I question is whether all the elements are constructed the same and will work in a closed engine compartment?
When was the last time you saw a SPARK come out of your carb? ITS A FLAME ARRESTOR

As far as I can tell, there is no difference. However, its all in the labeling with some USCG approved stuff. Some starters are a perfect example.
But if it isn't labeled as USCG, then you could have a problem with your insurance company in the event you need them.

Yes, the K&N is suitable for closed engine compartments. There is no requirement for USCG approval with open engines.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
When was the last time you saw a SPARK come out of your carb? ITS A FLAME ARRESTOR

As far as I can tell, there is no difference. However, its all in the labeling with some USCG approved stuff. Some starters are a perfect example.
But if it isn't labeled as USCG, then you could have a problem with your insurance company in the event you need them.

Yes, the K&N is suitable for closed engine compartments. There is no requirement for USCG approval with open engines.
LOL!! Yea, it's an old habit. I was typing faster than I was thinking but you know what I meant!! I still say "Jetski" instead of PWC too if I don't catch myself first but people get the idea.:oops: I fixed it for ya so you would feel better. :D

Thanks, I am am not concerned with insurance, only actual safety.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts

I thought it didn't make any difference?I had a cop flip me guff over not having a marine MSD but then he tells me a non marine is ok as long as it's mounted higher than the gunnels

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have a set they are stamped with the USCG logo on it , they do seem a little less pliable ( at the rubber area ) that is the only difference I noticed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FWIW, I called K&N directly and spoke to one of their tech guys. He told me that there is no real difference between the construction of the automotive filter and the USCG approved filter other than the stamp, which you might need to "prove" it passes if you get inspected. I am not concerned with that as long as it is safe so I will get the one I want. Thanks for the responses.

·
BTC cardcarrying member
1,075 Posts
I have a set they are stamped with the USCG logo on it , they do seem a little less pliable ( at the rubber area ) that is the only difference I noticed.
I bought one that is marked "USCG APPROVED" also. It is stamped in the rubber.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts