Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing a ton of work on my sled over the winter I finally got her on the water last sunday. Motor ran pretty good the entire time until I was ready to leave. That's when it started acting like it was starving for fuel and even stalled once on the way back to the ramp. Yesterday I pulled the carb and filters and this is what I found. I kept both tanks 75% full over the winter. The boat got worked on at 3 different places and was not covered all the time. What I found in the fuel is a combination of sediment, facial hair from me and metal shavings. I've already got the filters and lines cleaned up. I flushed out the fuel pump and carb. Next on the list is to clean the tanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
That's nothing

I helped a friend pull a fiberglass tank that was leaking.... Once it was out, it was obvious it was never going back in, and he is having aluminum tanks made... The other side was CUT out, and what we found was amazing..... 3/8ths to a 1/2" of VARNISH laying in the bottom like hardened pitch or tar.... This was so bad it gummed up the carb in one outing the last time he added gas..... Concentrated gas residue that partially dissolved when new gas was added creating a gooo......I've seen this before mistaken for tanks delaminating, when the tanks themselves were fine....
Ray

·
Registered
95 Posts
That same thing happened to both of my tanks in my boat. I rarely ever buy gas on the water but I wonder if the few times I did is where this crap get's into the tanks?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts