Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for advise.

The aqua-lube bushing that is in my prop support strut keeps coming dis-lodged and slides down the shaft when I am running. I recently replaced the bushing with a new piece and snugged it into to support. It was not super-tight, but it was not falling-out loose either.

Is there some magic goop, sealer or other trick I should be using to keep these things in place?

Attachments

·
Steve
402 Posts
Looking for advise.

The aqua-lube bushing that is in my prop support strut keeps coming dis-lodged and slides down the shaft when I am running. I recently replaced the bushing with a new piece and snugged it into to support. It was not super-tight, but it was not falling-out loose either.

Is there some magic goop, sealer or other trick I should be using to keep these things in place?
I don't know of any way to keep 'em in place. But,,, When I replaced mine, they were frkn tight. Tight to the point I was afraid they might crack going in the last inch or so.
:)Unsure

·
Lookout I'm Crankin it Baby
6,576 Posts
I had a strut doing that to me...just plain old..so I bought the Blackfish bushing which is brass and rubber...When strut was empty I drilled and tapped four spots in the strut ...two in front and two in rear..opposing sides of the strut..then I pushed blackfish bushing in and dimpled the brass outer sheath with a small drill bit...then put four stainless set screws in it with some loctite...problem solved..

·
Registered
67 Posts
You need bushings with more crush (larger O.D.). you will probably need some made out of delron or turcite (sp?). Looks like your rear strut bushing is coming out also. The turcite is pricy, but good.

Vic

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the rear came out too, yes. I replaced both bushings in the rear and the one in the front. The rear are staying put but the front is the problem. It lasted in place for one weekend, the the next it came out. I was thinking about a thin layer of RTV on the outside of the bushing before pressing it in? Too ghetto?

the original rear bushing did not surprise me much, the prop was set back 1.25" from the strut, I assume there was a bunch of flex and vibration over time. I have since removed an inch from the prop shaft length to get the prop back in the right zone from the strut.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Suggestion to me from Marine Hardware - Steve McElroy

I recently had to replace my drive shaft on my boat. While replacing the shaft I replaced the bushings too. I bought a shaft from Steve with Marine Hardware who is their sales rep in Orange County who has been running v-drive for what seems like forever to me. While in conversation with him, I told him I had been having a problem with my fiber bushing coming out after only a little bit of use. He told me to put a thin layer of liquid nails around the outside of the bushing and then slide it in (or tap it in for that matter). bang, it has not come out since. To remove the bushing is the same process by tapping it out like the snug fit solution that we all know seems to be hit and miss. I haven't looked back since as this completely fixed the issue and it was done without having to pull the whole prop shaft out again. Moral of the story, listen to the old timers who have been vdriving longer than I have been alive.:))THumbsUp

Jayteetrotter

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
Suggestion above is a good one. I've had guys use Sea Goin putty or marine tex also with success. Locktite Green sleevelock if bushing is brass outer. This condition is not all that uncommon with older struts. Once a bushing spins this is what you get. Also I believe putting the metal sleeved bushings in and out a few times takes enough material out to cause issues on some struts, even though those sleeves are brass. I've seen it a bunch of times over 4 decades and owned one boat that had this problem myself. RCL's solution sounds good too although I hate giving him any credit for anything that might have merit.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
RCL is "The Man"

I had a strut doing that to me...just plain old..so I bought the Blackfish bushing which is brass and rubber...When strut was empty I drilled and tapped four spots in the strut ...two in front and two in rear..opposing sides of the strut..then I pushed blackfish bushing in and dimpled the brass outer sheath with a small drill bit...then put four stainless set screws in it with some loctite...problem solved..
Very creative fix Mike. :))THumbsUp

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Could you just, carefully, stake the strut?

·
Lookout I'm Crankin it Baby
6,576 Posts
Suggestion above is a good one. I've had guys use Sea Goin putty or marine tex also with success. Locktite Green sleevelock if bushing is brass outer. This condition is not all that uncommon with older struts. Once a bushing spins this is what you get. Also I believe putting the metal sleeved bushings in and out a few times takes enough material out to cause issues on some struts, even though those sleeves are brass. I've seen it a bunch of times over 4 decades and owned one boat that had this problem myself. RCL's solution sounds good too although I hate giving him any credit for anything that might have merit.
I took this to Kinko's and had it copied in Mexican Italics..or Old English font and then laminated in plastic and gave a copy to each one of my kids for the walls of they're homes...I then sent a couple of copies to the Smithsonian and then one to the White House...and the last copy to Al Gore...because this is the "Official Day that Hell Froze Over"...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Loctite 640

use a liberal amount, wipe off excess, got me through 3 years of use on the fiber bushings, make sure the strut barrel is clean and dry when assembling

1 - 13 of 13 Posts