Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
PrayforFriendznSun&Fun
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have anything good to say about the stereo brands PYLE or DUAL?

There are plenty of great deals on these brand names in Overton's and E-Bay. I am in the market for a marine CD stereo (I-Pod input), detachable face, (4) 6.5 speakers, and a small amp.

I am already running dual batteries, so this will not be an issue.

The stock stereo is from 1994 and is shot. Its an AM/FM cassette tape for goodness sake!

·
PrayforFriendznSun&Fun
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Somehow I knew I was going to be asked that question. I read the other thread from the other guy (about the minor stereo upgrade) who had a budget of $1500 and saw how he got beat up.

Well I am even "cheaper". I don't need to cause tremors around the lake or put on a open-air concert for everyone on the water. I was just looking for something real simple to enjoy to ourselves when anchored in a cove.

·
Rubbing is Racing!!
2,813 Posts
So whats your budget and what do you need? (How many speakers and subs are you thinking)

Can you do the install yourself?

Be realistic and shop from there......

Craigslist can be your friend.

Don't forget to budget in wire,fuse,RCA's and perhaps an extra battery or two.

With audio euipment you get what you pay for but with that said there are some brands that sound decent for a fair price. I'm sure if we know how much you have to spend and what you need we can point you in the right direction. (If your budget is 1K and your not handy/need instalation its not gonna happen;):))

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Do you need subs or just want subs? Subs are heavy, take up room and usually mean a big amp that needs big batteries.

I'd like to have subs, but for the reasons above, went with Memphis Audio 8" co-axial speakers instead. Decent boom and gets the job done. They are running about $170/pr, have good sensitivity and are marine type. http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/memphis15-ma8.aspx

I have 4 pair in my boat, with a single HiFonics Zeus 4x170w @ 2ohm amp (so 85w/speaker) for about $170 on Ebay. Add a used AudioControl Matrix for around $70-$90 and the headunit of your choosing and it's a decent all-around system for under $1500. Go with less than 8 speakers, and the price goes down even more.

·
PrayforFriendznSun&Fun
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I shopped around on E-Bay and Craigslist like ColeTrickle suggested and found some "slamming" deals.

Because I am nursing a back injury, unfortunately I wasn't able to chase the offers on Craigslist because it included driving to other cities. But damn, people are giving stuff away on there.

I ended up on the E-Bay stores named thedeepdiscounts and bigbuycity. I got some real deals there including a Sony CDX-M50IP Marine CD stereo w/ IPOD attachment for $119 (this included shipping). Also found some decent speakers and amp for a bargain and all dropped off at my doorstep. My buddy will do the install for a small fee (hopefully beer and carne asada tacos), luckily for me he does this kind of stuff for a living.

So for all you big ballers who are in the position to spend $1000s on a booming system, have mercy on me. :):)punch

For us bargain hunters I'll post some pics when the install is complete and let you know what the result is.:)ViolinWish me luck......

·
What the Hell is That?
1,586 Posts

·
What the Hell is That?
1,586 Posts
hey buddy never mind us we all like to talk shizz. :D if you like what youve purchased that's all that matters hope is turns out ok. hope is sounds good enough for you:)devil
I sometimes wish I had my old setup. Its either boats or audio its takes a lot of money to do both

·
New here
4,028 Posts
So for all you big ballers who are in the position to spend $1000s on a booming system, have mercy on me. :):)punch

For us bargain hunters I'll post some pics when the install is complete and let you know what the result is.:)ViolinWish me luck......
I suggest ORION. I don't think you can find better bang-for-buck. Ratings are all TRUE power (and under-rated). I get my stuff from www.sonicelectronix.com

It's not about being a baller or not. If you don't spend four-digits, you will NOT have any boom anyway. If you do, it won't go too long until no more boom. You get what you pay for.

I have been doing my stuff area-by-area. For instance, I have now replaced all of the 6X9s in the boat. That was last season. So, the "highs" are taken care of, speaker-wise. The year before, I replaced the deck and added the changer, XM module, and some nice RCA cables.

This year, I upgraded the marine housing that the head-unit resides in. I will also add the AudioControl line-driver and the 1/0 power supply from the batts to the existing (p.o.s.) amps. It's just 8-ga wires right now.

Next season, I will change out the high amp to the Orion 4800 and Orion 2600. This will take care of my 3-sets of 6X9s, which are now powered by one 4-channel garbage amp. After that, it will be ready for the bass. The power will be in place, line driver already pumping. All I will need to do then is get the Orion D5000 amp (1700 watts for $600), two 15s (probably Orion, but to be determined), and have the box built.

Doing it piece by piece keeps the system operating while upgrades are done. Plus, I don't have to come up with the whole $5000 or so that it takes to do a nice system. Additionally, I can afford to do nice stuff and not crap, since I am not doing it all at once.

My point is - I think you would be happier taking a bit longer to do what you want, but you will be able to afford better stuff as you go. There is nothing worse than putting all that you can into a system and be unhappy with it every time you turn it on - IF it turns on.

·
PrayforFriendznSun&Fun
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Beer:30,

I am really on-board with that whole idea of slowly upgrading. I have absolutely no sound system in the boat right now, so this is what I have to settle for right now. Actually I really don't feel like I am settling because in today's economy, I feel fortunate enough to have a boat and the lake trips that come along with it. I know most of you know what I mean by that.

On my last Havasu trip as I was coming down Interstate 40, I had a mishap and bam!!... a few hundred dollars later, I had to get new trailer tires. This dipped into the stereo fund. LOL

Break Out Another Thousand !!

Attachments

·
New here
4,028 Posts
Ok, I would say, get your highs mounted. Figure out if you are going to run 6.5 components or 6x9s. 6x9s will provide the most sound and music for the $, in an open environment. 6.5s are perfect for interior/enclosed environments. I also suggest a 4-way speaker for open-air sound extension. They would be way too sharp and loud for inside, but work outstanding in boats. Right now, I think Pioneer has the best 6x9 for boats. $75/pair, and they absolutely RAIL.

I would mount however many pairs you want to run, and run some good quality 16 or 14 ga speaker wire to them. You can get a nice 50' roll of Stinger or Phoenix Gold, which will be excellent quality for little $. Bring all of the speaker wires right up to where the deck will mount and call it good for stage one.

When you can, get a nice deck and marine mount. Install it and just hook the speakers you installed to the power from the deck. This will at least give you some sound for your spent $.

Then, you would probably want to add whatever size power system to wherever you are going to mount your amps. There is no reason to buy amps and not have sufficient power to them. They would just run hot and possibly implode. Running, say, 1/0 cables all the way to and from the batteries, with distribution blocks, cable ends, a 200 amp breaker or fuse, and a 16/18 ga amp turn-on lead from the deck will be $300-500, depending on how quality you go. There-again, the amp(s) won't run without it, so it has to be in place before them.

After that, you can add your high-end amp(s) appropriate for whatever amount of highs you put in. For me, I have 6-6x9s, so I either have to run one 6-channel, three 2-channels, or a 4-channel with a 2-channel. The factory system has all three running from ONE 4-channel, and it runs hot all time. You have to build a boat system to run cool or it will just go into thermal protection and shut down all the time. I plan to run a large 4-ch to 4 of them and a large 2-ch to 2 of them. Keeps everything cool, loud, and clear.

Same with the bass. The D5000 that I will run will put out 2500 watts of true power at 1-ohm. That is asking EVERYTHING the amp has to give. In a car/truck, it would be fine at this level - since it is climate controlled. Boat interiors are all hot, all the time. So, I will run the amp at 2-ohms, where it produces 1700 watts. It will just be cruising and not being asked for maximum current (heat).

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
I suggest ORION. I don't think you can find better bang-for-buck. Ratings are all TRUE power (and under-rated). I get my stuff from www.sonicelectronix.com

All I will need to do then is get the Orion D5000 amp (1700 watts for $600), two 15s (probably Orion, but to be determined), and have the box built.
FYI, you might consider looking at the HiFonics brand of amps too. They make a Brutus BXi-2006 that's rated at 2000w x1 @ 1ohm (1300w x1 @ 2ohm) that you can find on Ebay for around $250-300. They also make a BXi-2610 that's rated for 2600w x1 @ 1ohm (1700w x1 @ 2ohm) that should be in the high $300 range. Like here: Ebay. Same kinda power as the Orion, but a bit cheaper. I've been very pleased with the performance of my HiFonics amp.

Another thing is that if you buy an amp that is 2ohm stable, you can setup a pair of speakers or two to get going, then add another pair or two down the road and parallel them. I originally put 2 pair of the Memphis 8" coaxials in my boat, but it just wasn't enough for me. Put a 2nd pair in the boat, wired in parallel, and now it's running at 2ohm, putting out the same power per speaker, but twice as many speakers.

·
PrayforFriendznSun&Fun
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So here is my final build. It sounds great, so far no problems after 2 Havasu trips. For those of you lacking knowledge in the stereo world like myself, when you are pricing a stereo system for your boat don't forget to include wiring. Luckily my buddy Isaac "the stereo master" had leftover spools of wire I needed for the install lying around his garage. But this stuff is pricey. I was into my build for less than $500 compliments of E-Bay and Craigslist and of course no charge on the install THANK GOD FOR GREAT FRIENDS. My system includes:
  • SONY XPLOD XM-554ZR 600 WATT 4 CHANNEL BRIDGEABLE AMP (underneath driver's console)
  • MTX 6" 2-WAY 150 WATT MARINE SPEAKERS BOSS MARINE 6.5 (front mount)
  • ROUND WHITE 2-WAY 200 WATT AUDIO SPEAKERS (rear mount)
  • SONY CDX-M50IP MARINE AUDIO/CD/IPOD PLAYER RECEIVER (just had to trim the existine head unit hole to make it fit)
  • ALPINE SUBWOOFER IN BOX (underneath rear bench seat...yeah I know kindda ghetto but there was nowhere else and it still bumps just fine!)

·
PrayforFriendznSun&Fun
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was cruising around on the other forums and found some guy calling himself CHPSTER27 posted this: (made me glad I kept it low budget).....:)devil

I have 3 Audison amps powering Focal 3 ways. None of it is marine grade and I've had NOTHING but problems with the Audisons. I don't recall two consecutive weekends where everything was working as it's supposed to. One of the amps was always blowing. I've given up on them and am changing to JL amps.

Next boat, $200 Kragen auto stereo piped through $50 speakers. I'll just put everything on quick release and swap stuff out as it dies. It will take me 12 years of replacing cheap speakers to get to what was spent on the current stereo.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.