Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1,000 Horsepower, that's who.

Tomorrow the 565" will be back on the dyno knocking on the door of 1,000 hp all throttle, no bottle with a single carb.

Here's the story; one month ago at the river an external oil line came loose somewhere between Hidden Shores and Fishers. The oil pressure never droped below 60 lbs on the way up, but once I came off plane at Fishers the oil pressure droped below normal. Oh shit what's that? Checked the bildge and there must of been 5-6 qtrs of oil in the bildge. Damit... Mother ***** etc, etc.

I have no one to blame but myself, before I left Hidden Shores I told myself to double check all the oil lines. Checked the filter and both lines at the top of the oil adapter and then a friend came up and started talking to me and I never checked the lines at the oil cooler. That was a very expensive beer my friend gave me :|err. No one to blame but myself though.

Anyway she took out the # 5 main and she required a little bit of surgery. All done and back together. Other than the $$$ I only lost one river trip. The schedule has been a bitch over the last 6 weeks.

So this is what I'm looking for tomorrow: The old (last yrs combo) made 765 lbs ft. @ 6,000 and 935 hp at 7,000. I had a few issues on the dyno and didn't get all that was there, but walked away pleased knowing that she had more in her. I hope to extract some of that tomorrow.

My C&S carb was sent back to Kansas and wet flowed for two hours, they say it will be worth 20-30 Hp over the 1050. It wet flows around 1,180 cfm 1,300 dry. It still might be 150 cfm short. But in anycase I doubt that I'll be pulling 1.4 in vac at 7,000 ( I'll call it 15 hp)

Mobil one 15-50 will be worth a minimum of 10 hp ( last three times on the dyno Mobil one picked up 12-15 hp with this engine) I'll call it 10 hp.

Super Sucker 2" carb spacer vs 1" open. Lot's of experience with these. I'll call it 10 hp

That put's me at 970 hp. Dan Crower made a few adjustments that we think might be worth another 10 HP So that puts me at 980 at 7,000. For an increase of 45 HP. Assuming I'm 90% correct that would be a 40 Hp increase for 975 HP. That's the target 975 +/- 5 hp.

If she can hit 975 HP on VP C-12 when we are done we'll drain the fuel cell and drop in 2 gallons of VP Oxygenated race fuel worth between 4-6% over C-12 up jet 3-4 jet sizes, drop the timing 2* and let her rip. 5% of 975 is 48 HP. 975 + 48 = 1,023 HP.

So, if my math is correct and my dream wheel calculator is spot on I really only need 965 hp at 7,000 on C-12 if the MR Oxygenated fuel can produce a 4% power gain = 38 hp.

965 + 38 = 1,003 hp.

So tomorrow I hope to have a 975 HP sheet and a 1,003-1,020 HP sheet.

I any case I'll be knocking on the door of 1,000 HP, I hope he's home. :D
Wish me luck.

Engine spec's: http://www.performanceboats.com//showthread.php?t=1874

Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover :D

·
Boat 502
1,298 Posts
It sounds like you might of put a little thought into this goal of yours:D Good luck Jon.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
coolio:)devil please tell me you're squeezing it too after all that nitrous on the dyno talk:D

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
Good luck John, although luck has little to do with it. I'll be watching this closely.:)devil

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
That is a shit load of power for a lake river boat.

Good luck on the dyno.

Steel will tell you how much I think about dyno pulls........:)sphss

But in all honesty I dig seeing guys really get into the nuts & bolts of any subject. You obviously have thoroughly thought this deal out.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
coolio:)devil please tell me you're squeezing it too after all that nitrous on the dyno talk:D
Not this time. Just getting on and off but no bottle.

It sounds like you might of put a little thought into this goal of yours:D Good luck Jon.
Just a tad bit of thought ;) It won't be on pump gas, but Im okay with that. If it makes less that 965 I'll be disappointed. 975 hp +/- 5 seems a realistic goal, but if I take the high numbers from all the "guest"imates it could spit out 990 HP on the C-12, but I highly doubt that it will be that much of an over-achiever.

Sleeper CP :D

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good luck John, although luck has little to do with it. I'll be watching this closely.:)devil
Combination,combination,combination. :)bulb

I had to resit Dan ( www.crowerpower.com ) wanting to put a bigger "stick" in it. The only thing that stopped him was the piston /valve clearance.

He really wanted to put a cam in it that would change the trq. #'s from 765 at 6,000,874 hp (702 at 7,000, 935 hp ) to 780 ft. lbs at 6,400 (950 hp) and 720 at 7,200 ( 987 hp). With the bigger carb and other changes we would be looking at approx 1,030 hp at 7,200. But I didn't like the ideal of the additional duration either. I like the fact that this engine idles at 800 with a lope and is smooth at 1,000 (she purrs). It's a "ski" boat after all ;)

Sleeper CP :D

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

In any case I'll be knocking on the door of 1,000 HP, I hope he's home
. :D
Wish me luck.

Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover :D
Well hells bell's. He opened the door and said " Phuck you". What a horrible day. :)st The only good thing that came of it is nothing broke , well I take that back, found an oil leak under the manifold. But other than that nothing worked as planned. Do they make one of those smiley faces of someone stepping on their dick :)bulb Well that's about how I feel.

I'll give a blow by blow later, but after a late start things started going bad right off the bat with very low oil pressure, after being concerned with that for about an hour we decided that the pressure wasn't dropping so we'll rev it to 6,500 and see what happens.

Any way, we spent 3 hrs. just trying to get back to the base line of 935 at 7,000. The power curve is nearly a mirror image from 4,000-6,500 just 20 ft. lbs and 21 hp less to 6,500. Since the oil pressure remained low we didn't force the issue. We chalked the low oil pressure up to excessive (more than optimum) main clearances after the quick rebuild.

I called me friend Randy Walls and asked him about the HIPO roller lifters he once had in his Blown Fuel car from last year. He told me he lost 20-25 psi of oil pressure with the HIPO lifters ? They were Cranes and he had Crower make him a set with out the oilers and he gained back 24 psi. (This got us scratching our heads). I put a new Melling HV oil pump in it with this rebuild. Wondering if the clearances aren't correct. Anyway 45 psi of oil pressure is not comforting. I don't know the size of the orifice on the Crower HIPO but Randy said the Cranes were .017 and by the time you multiply that by 16 lifters you have a hose dumping oil all over the crank costing HP. ( ?)

We finally got the numbers back to within 13 ft. lbs. and 13 hp at 6,500. We chalk the bad numbers up to lack of cylinder pressure. Should have bought a new set of Hell Fire rings or Total Seals for it while it was down. Live and learn ( step on dick yet again)

I'll give you a couple of back to backs, The Super Sucker 2" carb spacer was worth 10 ft. lbs at 6,000 and 5 hp at 6,500 over the 1" open spacer.

The Super killer C&S carb was -2 ft. lbs at 6,000 was down 3-6 hp from 6,000-6,500. But then again the oil temp was 4 degree's hotter with the 1050 Holley. The Holley 1050 was much, much cleaner at part throttle part load from 3,200-4,000 far much better for cruising on the river. The power valve in the primary seem's the right direction.

( I'll edit a little later I have to go home an kick the dog or the wife, not sure which one yet) :)sphss

Anyway, nothing got broken found out a few usable items and there is always next year after I order some new pistons to fit the bore at bit tighter. Maybe I'll post the results after I acheive them......... Nope, live and learn, sometimes I'm correct and sometimes I'm not.

Got to figure out this oil pressure thing though ? There's a guy that post's or use to with the Blown BBF in a Daytona from Washington State it only has something like 45-48 lbs of oil presure. Need to talk to him.

I'll be back to talk later.

Sleeper CP :(

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
What size impellor you gonna run if it gets max power at 7200?Almost need a C cut.
No, it's set up to run a MPD "b" cut to 6,200. Pulls it to 6,200 at 98 mph. This weekend I'll make at least 3 hardware changes and after the we find the correct one off the bottle we'll get around to hitting thw 200 hp Nos shot. Should rev to 6,800 on the bottle. However if the oil pressure is under 50 psi I don't think I'll be doing that. I didn't mention and I should have one reason the oil pressure was dropping off is that the oil pan for the jet boat slopes to the front. On the DTS dyno this is a problem because the absorbtion unit and drive shaft is fixed. The 10 qrt pan had 12 qrts in it but the oil runs to the front on the pan away from the pickup . Anymore than 12 qrts the crank is about under oil any less than 11 qrts the oil pressure really took a dump. :)st :)st :|err

How heavy is that ski boat?
775lbs bare. 990 with the pump and interior ( less engine)

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
There are good days, and there are bad days. That'll teach ya to go to the dyno on a Monday.;)
So many thoughts on your day...main thing is- glad yoiu didn't break anything.
And don't be kickin your dog. :D

·
Registered
282 Posts
What is the main clearance,and how was the oil pressure before it got hurt?Hows the clearence between the lifter bore and lifter?No cracks on the main webbing oil passage when that main ran dry.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Well hells bell's. He opened the door and said " Phuck you". What a horrible day. :)st The only good thing that came of it is nothing broke , well I take that back, found an oil leak under the manifold. But other than that nothing worked as planned. Do they make one of those smiley faces of someone stepping on their dick :)bulb Well that's about how I feel.

I'll give a blow by blow later, but after a late start things started going bad right off the bat with very low oil pressure, after being concerned with that for about an hour we decided that the pressure wasn't dropping so we'll rev it to 6,500 and see what happens.

Any way, we spent 3 hrs. just trying to get back to the base line of 935 at 7,000. The power curve is nearly a mirror image from 4,000-6,500 just 20 ft. lbs and 21 hp less to 6,500. Since the oil pressure remained low we didn't force the issue. We chalked the low oil pressure up to excessive (more than optimum) main clearances after the quick rebuild.

I called me friend Randy Walls and asked him about the HIPO roller lifters he once had in his Blown Fuel car from last year. He told me he lost 20-25 psi of oil pressure with the HIPO lifters ? They were Cranes and he had Crower make him a set with out the oilers and he gained back 24 psi. (This got us scratching our heads). I put a new Melling HV oil pump in it with this rebuild. Wondering if the clearances aren't correct. Anyway 45 psi of oil pressure is not comforting. I don't know the size of the orifice on the Crower HIPO but Randy said the Cranes were .017 and by the time you multiply that by 16 lifters you have a hose dumping oil all over the crank costing HP. ( ?)

We finally got the numbers back to within 13 ft. lbs. and 13 hp at 6,500. We chalk the bad numbers up to lack of cylinder pressure. Should have bought a new set of Hell Fire rings or Total Seals for it while it was down. Live and learn ( step on dick yet again)

I'll give you a couple of back to backs, The Super Sucker 2" carb spacer was worth 10 ft. lbs at 6,000 and 5 hp at 6,500 over the 1" open spacer.

The Super killer C&S carb was -2 ft. lbs at 6,000 was down 3-6 hp from 6,000-6,500. But then again the oil temp was 4 degree's hotter with the 1050 Holley. The Holley 1050 was much, much cleaner at part throttle part load from 3,200-4,000 far much better for cruising on the river. The power valve in the primary seem's the right direction.

( I'll edit a little later I have to go home an kick the dog or the wife, not sure which one yet) :)sphss

Anyway, nothing got broken found out a few usable items and there is always next year after I order some new pistons to fit the bore at bit tighter. Maybe I'll post the results after I acheive them......... Nope, live and learn, sometimes I'm correct and sometimes I'm not.

Got to figure out this oil pressure thing though ? There's a guy that post's or use to with the Blown BBF in a Daytona from Washington State it only has something like 45-48 lbs of oil presure. Need to talk to him.

I'll be back to talk later.

if i sell this 505 i'm runnin or pop it, me and you are gonna put together a bbf combo for me:D:)devil i miss runnin bbf's.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What is the main clearance,and how was the oil pressure before it got hurt?Hows the clearence between the lifter bore and lifter?No cracks on the main webbing oil passage when that main ran dry.
I'll know tomorrow. Couldn't reach him today. Pressure use to be 62-65 hot. So it lost the 20 lbs that Randy lost,but that just doesn't seem right.

I'm beginning to think I should have left this engine alone at 855 hp, trouble free for years. :|err Oh well.

I think it's main clearance and new oil pump. :)bulb I'll know something to:)bulbmorrow.

Sleeper CP

1 - 20 of 29 Posts