Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts
saw and heard that thing at the airport today.

·
About 500' AGL
2,471 Posts
Great Vids.....One of my favorite Helicopters. They are absolutley incredible to see in person. They fill their 2,650 gallon tanks in under a minute. Each of its twin engines make 4,500 HP. 70 feet long and 18 feet tall with a 72 foot rotor diameter.

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts

·
Re-member
3,729 Posts
...Spotondl: Were the videos shot at the dam in Big Tujunga Canyon?...About ten years ago, I lived on the 4 acres where they have recently built the multi-millon dollar home (2150 Big Tujunga)...It could have been the CDF, not sure?,...but in the area between the dam and the 4 acres, firefighting helicopter training exercises were the norm...

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
...Spotondl: Were the videos shot at the dam in Big Tujunga Canyon?...About ten years ago, I lived on the 4 acres where they have recently built the multi-millon dollar home (2150 Big Tujunga)...It could have been the CDF, not sure?,...but in the area between the dam and the 4 acres, firefighting helicopter training exercises were the norm...

I dont think so, it looks like the resevour at the top of Haines Canyon

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
We were watching them hit the Station fire all day, along with the airplanes. Thank God it isn't windy. The brush is so thick up there, I do not think they made a dent in the fire. As the day wore on, the fire just kept getting bigger. They did keep it from going over the ridge for most of the day. Late afternoon they couldn't keep up and finaly went over. Real smokey here this morning. No evac. yet, but we are in La Crescenta. Wind or a wind shift then its a different ball game.
Please God, Keep all the Firemen safe.

·
Spot On Dee El...
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dont think so, it looks like the resevour at the top of Haines Canyon
Hustler Joe is correct... This is a flood control basin at the top of Haines Canyon. Usually I take my labrador up there to chase tennis balls in the water... he loves it... There was actually some idiot swimming his dog in between water loads.

I believe they are neither LACoFD or CalFire but are contract helicopters ordered by USFS or CalFire per incident.
Yes, these were contract helicopters though they had Los Angeles Fire Department labeling on the tail boom...

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts
we returned the super scoopers to Canada already? i saw some P-3's out there.

dont they have some C-130's some where converted into water droppers?

·
Registered
353 Posts
LA City leases one of those helicopters during brush season. I believe the lease is for a set amount of hours and it includes it's own crew. Our pilots don't fly them

1 - 20 of 21 Posts