1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
U Member, Member?
639 Posts
i know RSO needs to hire aprox. 1600 by this coming year. so i hear

·
U Member, Member?
639 Posts
that would be correct sir. tho i hear laso pays the best. but look at the area you have to deal with

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
If, for example, a guy had smoked weed a few times years back do you think that would that disqualify him?
I hear Riverside isnt too strict. I doubt they'll have an issue with weed.

San Bernandino is a lil tough, they denied a buddy of mine for his driving record. Riverside just hired him. Oh and he smoked some weed too.

·
You who rock I salute you
3,339 Posts
Do the LASD still work the jails for a few years before hitting the street?
Or did they go like the LAPD and hire jailers?

·
5149 1/2
1,407 Posts
Do the LASD still work the jails for a few years before hitting the street?
Or did they go like the LAPD and hire jailers?
They have Custody Assistants but yes you do have to spend some time working custody.

·
U Member, Member?
639 Posts
laso spends around 7-9 years before you hit the streets.
rso spends around 2-3 years in the jails before hitting the streets. laso is the worst when it comes to jails. not exact #s but generally speaking

·
Floatin dirty
4,831 Posts
laso spends around 7-9 years before you hit the streets.
rso spends around 2-3 years in the jails before hitting the streets. laso is the worst when it comes to jails. not exact #s but generally speaking

This is incorrect info. The average stay in the jails now is 2 years unless you voluntarily extend your time there. You can also choose to work the bus bureau or the courts in lieu of the jails for your pre-street time. There is also no age limit for applying at this time but you need to have a clean record. Some experimental use of marijuana as a young person will not disqualify you but may be used as a factor if other area's of concern are also present.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Politics in LA suck, but LAPD has good people like LASD. You are on street after academy, and they are so large including 19 Divisions. All somewhat like there own cities. Plus unlike LASD they have specalized detective divisions that use po's and detectives. Those are the super jobs, surveillance, specalized investigations, etc.

I spent 22 years in detectives, 18 in specalized units, nothing like it around that I have seen. Not to mention places like Air Aupport Division, 19 copters.

You have to look 5, 10 and 25 years out to make a good decision. Most street cops are making 100G+ with overtime and court within 2 years in busy divisions

·
You who rock I salute you
3,339 Posts
LVPD or Sand Diego PD are good choices too IMHO.

If you're 21 and join the LAPD you can be in 3 retirement plans AND the drop program.
You can draw both your paycheck/ot and retirement up to your last 5 years.

Guys I know retireing from the LAPD at 41 years old are millionares.

·
Passin Glass
2,825 Posts
What are some other areas of concern? I'm just trying to see if it's worth giving it a shot, or whether I'd just be wasting their time and mine.
Thanks to all who've responded.
If you apply naked stoned on coke screaming " fukk da po po..YEAH fukk da po po " they'll frown on that..

Hope this helps!

·
Floatin dirty
4,831 Posts
What are some other areas of concern? I'm just trying to see if it's worth giving it a shot, or whether I'd just be wasting their time and mine.
Thanks to all who've responded.

Well, they research your background. Have you had steady employment, is your credit history decent, do you have good references, education level, any prior contacts/arrests with L.E...etc..., Is this something you want to try or are you committed to making it a career at this point in your life? Departments invest a lot of money in training and recruiting of candidates and they want to get good investments for their money. My friends sister just entered the academy at age 36 so your age is not a factor but more your attitude and committment to this line of work along with your background and qualifications. If you are unsure, then do some ride alongs with several agencies and see if it still interests you. There are a lot of positive sides to a career in L.E. but there are also negative sides as well. PM me and I will answer some of your other questions....thanks...

Marc

·
Registered
936 Posts
Go for the fire dept.; more appreciated and honorable!!!! 1 Year as any cop in any department will turn you into an A-hole!! I have LAPD, CHP & Sheriff friends who were brainwashed and ruined in the academy! Look at the divorce rate, depression rate, spousal abuse rate and suicide rate of any law enforcement divison....way higher than the general population.:|err

DISCLOSURE: This is just my opinion and you know the saying "opinions are like a$$holes........."

Edit- Add alcholism to the list of "good traits" of the LEO !!!!

1 - 20 of 91 Posts