Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are they? How much do they cost? ...and are they worth it?

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
For your current boat (Magic)??? NO.

It's about $400. A shop will take your prop, work it and send it back to you and for your application it won't do much of anything.

Give Brett at B Blades up in Minn. a call and he'll tell you everything you need to know.

·
1,512 Posts
Take Southocg advice, call bBlades. There's a lot more to labbed props than just thinning them down for a couple of hundred RPM. Remember, you'll be spending $400 each for 1 or 2 MPH depending how your set up and running now. Of course having a labbed prop will increase the cool factor of your boat 10x. You can't put a price on that.:D

·
The Insurance Guy
1,922 Posts
If you're still thinking about adding the whipple to your motor, don't spend any $$ on props until you do that. You will just have to do it all over again (with new, bigger props) when you add the extra ponies

G

·
Take Southocg advice, call bBlades. There's a lot more to labbed props than just thinning them down for a couple of hundred RPM. Remember, you'll be spending $400 each for 1 or 2 MPH depending how your set up and running now. Of course having a labbed prop will increase the cool factor of your boat 10x. You can't put a price on that.:D
For me the extra MPH at mid RPM has been well worth the extra coin. Dino at Teague suggested the Merc labbed version for my 26. I've been real happy with it. I agree about waiting until after a SC install.

·
Distinguished Member
412 Posts
Labbing a prop is about a lot more than MPH. It's about driveability; specifically, the way you drive your boat. You can have a prop labbed for pure top speed, but it will cavitate at low speeds, and maybe not turn well. You can lab a prop for hole shot and give up top end. I took a Merc labbed 30 and got the best top end number on my boat, but the driveability was poor. I took it to Bronson Hill and they asked about 50 questions from engine type, weight of my friends, how I boat, where I boat, etc. I then took the boat out with the freshly cut prop (now a 29) and over-all it was better, but there were things I didn't like. I took it back once again and explained how it felt, they worked more magic (this time on the diffuser) and now I have what I feel is the best all around prop for my boat. It works great on Havasu, Elsinore & Mojave. For Powell, it is too much prop and I use a stock Bravo 1 28. Pre-Whipple I found the labbed 25 to be the best prop (but a stock 26 got the highest MPH).

Labbing a prop is about your specific combination, what your goals are, and your ability to communicate how your boat drives to the person working your prop. In a perfect world, you get the guy working the prop to drive your boat. But then, his needs may not be your needs.

Just my .02:)hand

----Rob

·
Premium Member
578 Posts

A lab finished prop is a fine tuned, blue printed, thinned out, @ times cupped version of a stock prop. Usually you can pull 1 pitch bigger of a lab prop than its stock version, depending on the boat and where and how you are driving it.

We sell Labbed Bravo 1 Props for $895.97 (w/ 1.25" Hub assy), and others will vary depending on their model.

They can be very much worth it depending on your boat, power, and how you run it. I see your picture of the magic and will tell you that a stock Bravo 1 will honestly work the best all around. If you have other than stock (496/HO) a 5 blade may be a thought? With those Magics i know they have set the X-dimensions in different spots depending on the power that was built with the boat.

If you carry 10+ people and all their crap, like to pull skiers/tubing, etc... and want something that will be very comfortable and easy to drive a stock Bravo 1 is your answer...

Eric

TEAGUE CUSTOM MARINE
www.teaguecustommarine.com

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
A lab finished prop is a fine tuned, blue printed, thinned out, @ times cupped version of a stock prop. Usually you can pull 1 pitch bigger of a lab prop than its stock version, depending on the boat and where and how you are driving it.

We sell Labbed Bravo 1 Props for $895.97 (w/ 1.25" Hub assy), and others will vary depending on their model.

They can be very much worth it depending on your boat, power, and how you run it. I see your picture of the magic and will tell you that a stock Bravo 1 will honestly work the best all around. If you have other than stock (496/HO) a 5 blade may be a thought? With those Magics i know they have set the X-dimensions in different spots depending on the power that was built with the boat.

If you carry 10+ people and all their crap, like to pull skiers/tubing, etc... and want something that will be very comfortable and easy to drive a stock Bravo 1 is your answer...

Eric

TEAGUE CUSTOM MARINE

I agree 200%. I've tried it on a buddies Magic Deck with a stock 496 and it's simply not money well spent.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Eric

TEAGUE CUSTOM MARINE

Thanks... I just kept seeing people refer to the them and wondered what it was. Stock Bravo 1 is what I have and it seems to suit us well.

·
Islander Space #221
130 Posts

Eric

TEAGUE CUSTOM MARINE
McCarthy is that you? Did you copy this right out of the Mercury catalog? Or did Bob dictate this while you typed? :)hand

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
McCarthy is that you? Did you copy this right out of the Mercury catalog? Or did Bob dictate this while you typed? :)hand

Hahahaha.. Yes, tis it be me.. Whats going on Brent! Believe it or not, that is all me, and Bob taught me well. So.. When we going to install that Whipple kit on your new 29? I'm thinking we can get about 95MPH out of her or 15 minutes to Luau Larry's?

Eric

·
Islander Space #221
130 Posts
Whats news? I was just commenting on one of the other threads about whippling my 525. If we do get into the mid 90's I will a very very happy man!
:)devil

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Forgot to mention... I have a 26B1 that Brett (BBlades) did for me last year that I don't use any longer (if anyone is interested).

·
Premium Member
557 Posts

Eric

TEAGUE CUSTOM MARINE

Verrry official sounding there, E-Mac!

Bob HAS taught you well! Hope to hang soon, bro... :)hand

1 - 15 of 15 Posts