Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
PB Administrator
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a thread the other day where some people asked about the LHCMA. A specific request was made for Todd to come over here and provide some info about the LHCMA, so ask and you shall receive. Todd Headlee, known on the forums as Todd969 will be on here shortly to post some good information about the LHCMA.

Here is my opinion on the matter. Organizations like the LHCMA are great for our community. There are not a whole lot of organizations that have a specific focus on protecting the performance boating community and lifestyle, and the LHCMA has become one. Our ability to use the Colorado river boating areas are under near constant attack from groups of people who have forgotten how to have fun.

With that said, here is Todd...

(note: Please no talk of the banning at HB or anything like that on this thread. If you have questions or concerns regarding that please PM me. The subject has been beat to death so hard that there is no more bits of horse left)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Good morning folks,

I’m going to “try” and clarify a few things.

History: The LHCMA was originally formed in 1992. The reason was the dealers and manufacturers wanted to put on a boat show. The city required that they form an association to use the Aquatic center as the show facility. This was done so only members could display product and it didn’t turn into a swap meet.

Fast forward to summer 2006

Breaking news and possible threats of changes on the river and lake required that the LHCMA step up and provide a voice of boating freedom. There’s a group of people Known as the Tri-State waterway committee including BLM, National Wildlife Refuge, AZ Game and Fish, ADOT, AZ state parks, every law enforcement agency that has jurisdiction on the river\lake, California and Nevada BLM,, Blue water group, Sierra Club and LHCMA who have met a couple of times discussing the impacts of boating specifically between Davis dam and Bill Williams refuge. From this came a very intense report. I have the report and can e-mail upon request.

Many of you know Uncle Larry, well he was the first person to really get involved and provide a voice to protect OUR freedom to boat. He played a very active roll within this group and made sure that no one could arbitrarily decide what changes could be made without some type of defense to again protect the BOATERS. Uncle Larry put out several threads and calls for support from the boating community, but many didn’t seem interested.

Forward to April 2007
Once again things start heating up. The city threatens new laws and rules (most of which really aren’t bad) but more importantly there’s council meetings to discuss changes in the Bridgewater channel. A lot of you complained, bitched, felt like they were being unfair, but did NOTHING to stop it.

At this time I was brought in to turn the LHCMA into a group with real boaters and people who actually use the lake\river. When I took on these new duties my main goal was to convince everyone I came in contact with to support the LHCMA and the lake they love. I’ve asked every Manufacturer to join (many haven’t) hoping that owners of their products would join also. The LHCMA is about the Lake, Safety and OUR freedom to boat. The manufacturers and dealers are secondary, NO LAKE, NO DEALERS.

I spent countless hours in meetings with many of the above people making sure that YOU have someone who loves boating just as much to PROTECT the lake. If you think lobbying politically is easy, think again. I’ve asked for support from the boating community many times, but for whatever reasons there’s a serious lack of interest. I guess if the lake closed, has a speed limit, no mooring in the channel etc. That would be ok with the boating community, right? I can’t do this alone, we all need to support it. It’s a lot easier to approach these issues when I can say the 500+ members of the LHCMA………….

Have you ever wondered what the SCMA does besides put on 6-8 boat shows every year?
They are constantly lobbying to protect you’re freedom to boat in the ocean and local lakes. They have an active membership of over 600 industry related companies and several hundred others. They do a great job and there’s no reason why we can’t be on the same level.

There’s been a huge breakthrough for the LHCMA within the city. We are active with other groups and really starting to get recognition.

As the LHCMA grows it can put out more safety materials, coozies, decals, a real newsletter, life jackets etc. I am grateful for the contacts we do have for many things. There are businesses that provide discounts so we can get printing and such done with a limited budget.

As for e-mails and updates: I’ve put every e-mail I have for the LHCMA in a group. If you do not receive them, please send it to [email protected]

I dedicate my days to keeping our lake open and free and encourage you the BOATER to take these threats serious. One day we might wake up to find the lake\river overtaken by non-boating naturalists unless we continue to fight for what we LOVE.

Currently the LHCMA has 84 active members, over 50% is non business. The LHCMA is NON-PROFIT tax ID’d and 501 C6.

22 Dealers\manufacturers
16 service centers
46 individual

Business member $250.00 Individual member $50.00 annually

All the dues received go to things like Tri-fold applications to hand out, decals, materials etc. There’s no direct benefit to the dealers\manufacturers other than potential sales.

Todd Headlee
Ex Dir LHCMA
928-208-6044
LHCMA.com

·
Lil' Hellyun
3,238 Posts
Thanks Todd:

I think that goes a long way to helping to clarify some of the misunderstandings. I do believe that we as boaters need to make sure we have a voice in what happens on our lake. It seems the non-performance boating community has no trouble rallying people to have their agenda heard and I think LHCMA is a great vehicle for us to have ours heard.

I have chaired one of these organizations before and it is a thankless job that you can only be successful in with support. I think there has been a general lack of communication as LHCMA gets its feet under it and I am willing to be understanding of this process and hope we can all get more communication as it grows.

Just my .02.....

·
Registered
991 Posts
Todd, thank you for your efforts and time you spend toward the goals of the LHCMA and us boaters. I have seen the progress you have made in making the LHCMA a viable entity and believe that this progress came at no small effort on your part. Many of us are willing to rest on the effort of people like you but I hope that we all wake up and offer support that, in the end, benefits all boaters.

·
Lil' Hellyun
3,238 Posts
Todd, thank you for your efforts and time you spend toward the goals of the LHCMA and us boaters. I have seen the progress you have made in making the LHCMA a viable entity and believe that this progress came at no small effort on your part. Many of us are willing to rest on the effort of people like you but I hope that we all wake up and offer support that, in the end, benefits all boaters.

I think a regular update as to what LHCMA is involved with in regards to boaters interests would be beneficial for all to see (like here on Performance Boats.com) and would help to generate additional membership. Once LHCMA is shown to be making an impact, others would be inclined to join....

·
C Ya on da lake
6,991 Posts
glad I could help get the ball rolling a little bit for ya Todd. Again as previously mentioned, I know you are very passionate with this, please dont take my opinions personal as I do value our friendship. Seemed like I was not the only one looking for some answers.

·
Lil' Hellyun
3,238 Posts
glad I could help get the ball rolling a little bit for ya Todd. Again as previously mentioned, I know you are very passionate with this, please dont take my opinions personal as I do value our friendship. Seemed like I was not the only one looking for some answers.
:|err:|err:|err...I'm just missing with you Cam......Say hi to Jamie....:D

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
Thanks Throttle for the thread you started. I had wondered what had happened to the club that I had sent $$$ towards. After a call from Todd, and now this thread. I have no problem re-newing my membership. For now I am 282.2 miles away,:D and I am glad that the LHCMA is looking out for my boating rights. :)devil

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Yes, thanks Todd for your dedication, tenacity and long hours. City Council meetings are pretty exciting to sit thru (NOT!) :D

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
I haven't followed this lately. Has the LHCMA tried to do anything about the management at Lake Havasu Marina or anything to try to get another marina at Havasu?

:)bulb
From what I have heard the lease to the Marina still has a few years on it. Don't know about the other Marina yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts