Performance Boats Forum banner

Lake Michigan....anyone here

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Unchained 
#1 ·
Lake Michigan....anyone here been on the lake with a Daytona.

I may going back there for a stint and would like to know what it's like for boating.

#2 ·
I hope it's a big Daytona. Some people surf on Lake Michigan

#3 ·
I am originally from Grand Rapids MI. I towed my 21ft Trick Cat up there last summer, and ran Lake Macatawa in Holland, and the Grand River out of Grand Haven. Both OK, but be warned that any inland water way in MI has a 55MPH speedlimit. I found out the hard way. Big lake was to rough during the time that i was there, but I used to boat in an 18ft donzi. Just have to play with the weather. The Chain of Lakes would be an awesome run for you to look into if you have time. There are LOTS of lakes and places to boat. I hope to tow the Trick back up there this summer again sometime, and hopefully the big lake will be a little more forgiving, it can be! Good luck! What size is your Daytona?

#6 ·
I have been on Lake Mi. in a 28ft daytona with twins and had a blast. The waves were HUGE rollers spaced really wide, we would launch off one and throttle up the next maybe hitting 40mph. If the spacing is wrong or short it is a little scary in a smaller cat. Some days there is barely 1ft chop out there. I ran in a poke run with my 28ft profile cat with no problems and it was pretty tore up out there. Anyway, you should be able to run out there if you have a 28.
Jeb

#7 · (Edited)
I went on Lake Michigan a couple times when I had a 20' Sleekcraft jet back in the early 1990's.
We went out the channel from Grand Haven and started from 20 about miles upstream in Allendale.

At the mouth of the channel the swells are 4' + so when we were in the low part we were below water level :))eek:))

Seems stupid looking back on it but we didn't have any problems and had fun.
I always have used a splash guard or it would have certainly sunk.

Somedays the waves can be 8' and other times, mostly in the evening, it can be glass smooth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.