Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard you cannot rent a houseboat from a private party on Lake Powell but must rent from a concessionaire or purchase a share in a houseboat.
WTF the deal with this?

Anyone know of some good deals for next summer on LP or maybe another larger lake around?

"Due to National Park Service regulations, you may not rent a houseboat from anyone other than the authorized concessionaire on the Lake. You may not rent a houseboat from a private owner or a corporation offering shares."

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Aramark has the concessionaire contract with the National Park Service on Lake Powell. Thats just the way it is with any National Park.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about purchasing a share of a boat, anyone have any experince with that.

Just doesn't sound right to me to purchase a week or two share of the boat.....

·
100% Pimp 50% of the Time
1,516 Posts
We had a shared house boat on Powell since 1997 but in 2008 the boat caught on fire and was totaled insurance paid us off but that is another story. Shares more that pay for themselves in a few years and there are some pretty good deals out there on good weeks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
This is what I don't get about the "Shared Ownership" deal. How do you own 1/12 of a boat and only have one week a year??? on top of the 20k+ buy in, you also have a couple grand a "annual fees", (what does this cover) And the cost to launch it in some cases. (few hundred bucks)

Granted, most are some nice 75 footers, but somebody is making a killing off of these.....who is it??

I think I'd rather just hand the keys back when my week is up on a rental (less than 6k for a week in the summer on the 53') and be done with it. You're gonna have to pay for gas either way.

Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I'm in a Time Share houseboat at Powell. If you plan on using it every year than it is worth it. Our yearly maint. fee is $1200. That covers the Bouy, Ins. and Maint. Been doing it for about 20 years now.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
100_4230.jpg
100_4231.jpg

Been going with friends twice a year, on their older 55', for 13 yrs. Decided to buy a share of our own on a 2006 75' 3 years ago...well worth it if you go every year.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is what I don't get about the "Shared Ownership" deal. How do you own 1/12 of a boat and only have one week a year??? on top of the 20k+ buy in, you also have a couple grand a "annual fees", (what does this cover) And the cost to launch it in some cases. (few hundred bucks)

Granted, most are some nice 75 footers, but somebody is making a killing off of these.....who is it??

I think I'd rather just hand the keys back when my week is up on a rental (less than 6k for a week in the summer on the 53') and be done with it. You're gonna have to pay for gas either way.

Or am I missing something?
I'm with you on this one....can't justify the buy-in + anual fees + ?
Not something I think I would use every year but then again would have to if bought in to one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Advise / Suggestions

Hi,
I just came across this discussion while researching online and am hoping to get some advise and suggestions. My husband wants to retire in about 2 years. I'll still be working for ten or so more years but when he retires I'll take a year off and we want to basically live on the Lake for an entire year (Lake Powell). We don't have a Houseboat but were thinking maybe someone owned one that they would rent to us for a year. Does anyone know if its even allowed to live there for a year and if so any suggestions on how to go about doing that?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
54 Posts
We own a 1/2 share on a houseboat at Powell. I highly recommend that option if you don't want to go every year. Our family goes even years, our friend's family the odd years. The prices for shares is really low right now ~ $10k + dues (about $1,200). That means you break even (from a rental) after 2 years, and every week thereafter is only a grand. And on a lot nicer boat. The rentals are not as nice as the private corps. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373122349.343934.jpg

·
Registered
38 Posts
Michelle,

Unfortunately, no, that is not allowed. I would need to double check but I believe that you are not allowed to be on the lake more than 30 days in one calendar year. With that said, who is checking? Unless you are living on a houseboat in a slip in a marina I doubt anyone would notice. There are several options to rent a home in or around Page and come and go on the lake as you please.

If I am allowed here, i would recommend you visit the Wayne's Words boards at this link Categories - Wayne's Words Bulletin Boards. There are some very knowledgeable people there when it comes to that lake and the surrounding area.

Norm

·
Registered
89 Posts
Powell

Looking to go out next year with a bunch of friends, Never been.
It says you can only have 12 people on the boat while under power. How strict are they with this, does anyone know.
I'll have my boat so when we leave the marina we can have 12, but we really have 15..

Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
38 Posts
We have never had a problem with it. This year we had 19. In years past we have had 23 on the boat. I have never heard of anyone being checked or cited for it. But that is my experience.

Norm

·
Registered
880 Posts
Looking to go out next year with a bunch of friends, Never been.
It says you can only have 12 people on the boat while under power. How strict are they with this, does anyone know.
I'll have my boat so when we leave the marina we can have 12, but we really have 15..

Thanks, Brian
I just got back last friday, we had 3 ski boats we towed behind the houseboat. Right after we left the Marina we hooked up the boats and had 16 people on the boat. Just didn't come to or leave the marina with more than 12.

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
I'm an owner on a boat at Bullfrog. Aramark has exclusive rights for renting houseboats on Lake Powell. All houseboat owners are registered and an owner must be present if the houseboat is being used. We usually go twice a year and have been doing so for many years. That said, we have never been checked or asked for proof of ownership. Houseboat ownership on a nice boat is expensive, we currently pay about 3k a yr in ownership dues, plus whatever the trips cost with fuel, food etc. Occasionally you will have to kick in more if something major breaks or an owner damages it. In my opinion it is worth every nickel. There is no other place like it on earth and it seems even more special than before because it may not be around forever. It seems that every year the hiking, biking, cry baby environmentalists pry a little further into the pockets of the powers that be in a ridiculous effort to drain Lake Powell. This year they are claiming that Powell is not a good source of water storage because the sand stone absorbs hundreds of thousands of gallons of water each year. This BS will never end, so enjoy it while you can.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts