Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody do hard drive replacements on laptops.

My wife's Sony Vaio's hard drive crashed.
Just out of warranty:|err

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes we have the restore disc and her data is backed up on a external hard drive.

any suggestions where to purchase one?

Sony wants 1/2 the cost of a new laptop for a hard drive.

·
Been here a while
610 Posts
Like PhatMatt said.

Its very easy to swap out a hard drive on a notebook. I work at a computer liquidation business. Its amazing how cheap new hard drives can be purchased now days.

eBay. Just look for a good seller with 99% positive or better.

·
Box Pimp
2,260 Posts
Yes we have the restore disc and her data is backed up on a external hard drive.

any suggestions where to purchase one?

Sony wants 1/2 the cost of a new laptop for a hard drive.

Give me the model number and I'll post a link for you to buy a new one.

·
Box Pimp
2,260 Posts
Just one more question, the original one was 160GB
does that make a diff
This one is twice as big for more storage. It will run just fine in her laptop. How much was Sony asking for the 160 gb?

Hers was also 5400 rpm so this one is faster.

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you believe $349 plus shipping:)sphss

Thank You very much for the help:)devil

ordering it right now

·
Box Pimp
2,260 Posts
Can you believe $349 plus shipping:)sphss

Thank You very much for the help:)devil

ordering it right now

They are probably making $329 on it. :p When you go to install it, it's probably only a couple of tiny screws on the back. Make sure you take out the battery first and try to get the static off of you. All they do is plug in. It's really simple once you get to it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Do not upgrade to larger drive...

My experience is that the system restore will not work.. The 1st thing the software does is a system check and it will not like the larger drive. If you are comfortable installing a OS (window XP or similar), then go out and get the drivers, download them all to a DVD/CD, and then install them. Not the easiest thing to do.. My suggestion is replacing the drive with the original size drive and throw the restore disk in and be done, easy. :D

BAS

·
Registered
130 Posts
Don't upgrade to a larger drive...

My experience is that the system restore will not work.. The 1st thing the software does is a system check and it will not like the larger drive. If you are comfortable installing a OS (window XP or similar), then go out and get the drivers, download them all to a DVD/CD, and then install them. Not the easiest thing to do.. My suggestion is replacing the drive with the original size drive and throw the restore disk in and be done, easy. :D

BAS

·
Registered
6,120 Posts

BAS
Guess every time I have installed a larger drive I must have been lucky. :)sphss

Outlaw, you will be fine.
Computer Geek fight...:D

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,462 Posts
Welcome to "binary tapout"!!
In this corner...........:)hand:)hand

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

BAS
I will let you all know, I ordered it at right after my last post.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts