Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to tell everyone about the great work these guys do. I brought my Campbell project in to them in Tucson at the beginning of summer for a complete overhaul of the engine and drive. It turns out that since the PO left the boat outside in Payson over the last winter without winterizing the engine it froze and cracked the block. Since my budget was rather thin, Larry and Stephanie Peto stepped up and helped me out: I guess I became their summer community service project. Not only did they build me a stonking new engine, but they allowed me nearly free run of their shop, 6 days a week for 4 to 8 hours a day. Jim and Travis built a BBC using a new Dart Block, Dart marine heads and a Dart intake and my old 4.00 crank, Carillo rods and roller rockers. Larry and Wade set everything up on the dyno and Lou and John installed the engine and trans in my hull. I then spent weeks overhauling the outdrive, installing fuel tanks and lines, working out all the electrical gremlins in the tilt-trim and the trim tabs and all the other little jobs that go with a restoration. Larry was able to dig up a set of used Gil headers and a used Mercruiser electronic ignition as well as coming up with a useable combination of parts. The bottom line is 550 hp and 570 ft lbs out of 517 cu in.
I finally finished my part and got the boat ready to splash, we didn't really know where to start with the prop so they LOANED me one for the first tests at Roosevelt! All went well so it was off to Lake Powell for 5 days of houseboating and exploring with NO problems from the boat at all. It just ran for hours and hours, purring away....
The best part is that when I got the bill I discovered that the only labor they charged me was for the engine build-up! This means that all those times I asked for advice, for assistance and for the use of all their tools and machinery they gave it for free. Such generosity is not the norm these days as we all know. Anyway I want to give a big "Thanks for Everything!" to Larry Peto and his entire crew.

·
Banned
4,599 Posts
Great story. Larry is a class act and definately one of the good guys! :D

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Agreed! I've been a customer of theirs since around 1978. I'm just a local Tucson low budget guy. I have always been treated well. Their work is always excellent. Larry is one of the most knowlegable people in the boat and engine business.

·
Dave @ campbellboatowners
25 Posts
Glad to hear you are up and going. Looked for you at the regatta, thought I saw a red 24 DC go by the beach, but we had filled the beach by then, so you might not have stopped.
Send me some updated pictures when you get a chance. congratulations and great job bringing a unique classic back to life

1 - 6 of 6 Posts