Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sit N' Spin
1,345 Posts
If you're running a flat tappet cam, run Valvoline VR1. It already has the zinc phosphorus in it. No additive required.

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
for break in i say yes,then after that not necessary.i run vr1 20-50 has some zinc in it.i have 5 years on same flat tappet and its still going strong.

·
Sit N' Spin
1,345 Posts
For break in I used the Joe Gibbs performance break in oil. It's a 15-50 oil that has lots of zinc in it. Also put lots of break in assembly lube on the lobes as well.

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,634 Posts
clipped the following two comments from another forum. It is direct responses from the oil manufacturer concerning ZDDP content. Some might find it interesting. None of this info is from me. Just regurgitating what I was able to find. I personally use valvoline VR1 40 in my piece.

---------------------------------------------------------

Date: October 29, 2008 11:53:21 AM EDT

The 1200 ppm of Zinc is something that would be required for a high performance racing engine with an oversize cam application. Not sure who is supplying this information to you, but any stock flat tappet cam application, only requires around 800 ppm of Zinc for protection and approximately 730 ppm of Phosphorus, as Zinc itself will not serve the purpose. If you would like to use the highest Zinc content product we have, that would be our Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil, with 1300 ppm of Zinc and 1200 ppm of Phosphorus.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Over on the VOA forum there was a debate about the zinc and phosphorus levels of the Rotella T 15W-40. I thought I'd e-mail Shell and ask what they claimed. Here's what they said:

"Shell Rotella T Multigrade Oil SAE 15W-40 with Triple Protection Technology, our API CJ-4/SM specification product, typically contains about 1200 ppm zinc and 1100 ppm phosphorous as manufactured."

·
Premium Member
5,260 Posts
Splitting hairs... but I just like the old "original green" Kendall formula and Brad Penn still makes it.

"The Brad Penn® Penn Grade 1® High Performance Oils contain the higher level of anti-wear (ZDDP – zinc dialkyldithiophosphate) and enhanced film strength so critical to proper high performance engine protection. The Penn-Grade 1® oils “typical” 1,500 ppm Zinc (Zn) and 1340-1400 ppm Phosphorus (P) content provide the needed anti-wear protection to critical engine parts, such as piston/cylinder walls, roller cams under heavy valve spring pressure and especially those that employ a solid “flat tappet” type system. As important as the chemistry is to the Penn-Grade 1® oils, it is by no means the whole story. The unique base oil cut used to refine the Penn-Grade 1® High Performance Oils maintain a tremendous affinity to metal surfaces. This naturally occurring “metal wetting” characteristic enables the oil to stay put on your highly stressed engines and makes the Penn-Grade 1® High Performance Oil resist slinging for an extended period of time. Also, rest assured in knowing that the Penn-Grade 1® High Performance Oils are 100% Made in the USA."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.