Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When extracting your boat from the water and there is a line of trucks waiting to drop their boat into the water.

Do you

A. Wait in line like every one else?

B. Jump to the front to extract your boat as to make room for others?

What should be expected?

Side note..

Does it drive you crazy when mr weekend warrior does not use his time in line to prep his boat and takes 15 minutes to put his damn boat in the water?

·
DRIVE4SHOW-PUTT4$$$
647 Posts
I'll wait until its my turn in line on or off the the trailer,yes it does bother me a little when the launch ramp is busy and people are still getting ready while backed in the water,i'm off the trailer in under 2 min....another thing that bothers me a bit ,is people that stay tied to the dock on the launch ramp and theres no space to get in there and pick up the person who parked the trailer.

·
1,512 Posts
Get in line like everyone else. It should take no more than 5 minutes to backup, hook and cook (get out of the way). Inconsiderate ramp hogs suck! :mad:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im the same way... on or off in under 3 minutes once the trailer touches the water.. In or out and not dilly dally... but since my wife cant back the trailer up i am left leaving my boat hooked to the dock while i retreive my trailer.

·
lol, right.....
1,168 Posts
Wait in line, unless you happen to be waved at to go on around... See that every now & then. Jumping line at the ramp liable to get you an ass-kicking around here, lol.... :p And it's so simple to have your shit ready to go when you are in the lane. Don't be going through the line & back down the ramp, then decide its time to load the coolers, check the drainplug, make sure its even going to start, lol.... :)sphss

No matter if we are launching or retrieving, wife backs the trailer & we are off the ramp & out of the way in just a few minutes. :)

·
detachable member
819 Posts
Im the same way... on or off in under 3 minutes once the trailer touches the water.. In or out and not dilly dally... but since my wife cant back the trailer up i am left leaving my boat hooked to the dock while i retreive my trailer.
I keep sayin i,m going to teach her :|err

I do the same...tie up to courtsy dock then get trailer...
the only thing is I leave the truck in ready position while I get the boat..
but I RUN to get boat.....I still am off before RAMP HOGS :D

·
Registered
884 Posts
I keep sayin i,m going to teach her :|err

I do the same...tie up to courtsy dock then get trailer...
the only thing is I leave the truck in ready position while I get the boat..
but I RUN to get boat.....I still am off before RAMP HOGS :D
x2. End up doing the same thing. Need to teach fiance how to trailer the boat around, however she is scared.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sounds like wait in line is the way to go.. Thats what i did last week i just wanted to make sure i was not being stupid leaving my boat tied up to the dock while i got my truck and waited in line. Had to let a couple of people past me cause the dumb ass in my way at the launch needed to have a 15 minute conversation with his wife on how the engine cover came off before he would put it in the water.:|err

·
Registered
219 Posts
Wait in line, unless you happen to be waved at to go on around... See that every now & then. Jumping line at the ramp liable to get you an ass-kicking around here, lol.... :p And it's so simple to have your shit ready to go when you are in the lane. Don't be going through the line & back down the ramp, then decide its time to load the coolers, check the drainplug, make sure its even going to start, lol.... :)sphss

No matter if we are launching or retrieving, wife backs the trailer & we are off the ramp & out of the way in just a few minutes. :)

Unless your being detained by TPW and getting a ticket for no lights!:D

·
lol, right.....
1,168 Posts
x2. End up doing the same thing. Need to teach fiance how to trailer the boat around, however she is scared.
Take the boat, find a big empty parking lot somewhere & let her practice. :)My wife already knew how when I met her, but thats how my daughter learned. Way less pressure than at a ramp where people are in line waiting, watching, etc....

·
lol, right.....
1,168 Posts
Unless your being detained by TPW and getting a ticket for no lights!:D

I already had it on the trailer & was winching it up when he came up f*cking with me, actually. ;)

I told him, "Ya mind if I go on and get done here & off the ramp first? I may say something about launch etiquette on a boat forum sometime in the future & I don't want this episode to throw my post off track...."

He said, "Sure, no problem...."

So here we are...... :p :D

·
Registered
219 Posts

I already had it on the trailer & was winching it up when he came up f*cking with me, actually. ;)

I told him, "Ya mind if I go on and get done here & off the ramp first? I may say something about launch etiquette on a boat forum sometime in the future & I don't want this episode to throw my post off track...."

He said, "Sure, no problem...."

So here we are...... :p :D

hil:)hil:)hil:)hil:)hil:)

·
Twin squirt guns.
1,778 Posts
My wife kicks ass backing down the trailer. I am usually pulling up to the trailer as it is entering the water. Drive it on, hook it up and pull it out. A couple minutes at most.

Takes a little longer getting it in just because I have to load the kids in, but I don't pack the cooler or all that other crap I see while on the ramp.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
My wife is 5'0'' and won't even drive the truck let alone back it down.:mad:
But ny son is 15 and soon will be my wing man:)devil

·
Registered
86 Posts
I hate the people who put the boat on the ramp thinking they are first...but the truck is five deep.... Yeah move all the trucks so you can get your boat out....but that only happens around here where there aren't waiting docks right?

·
5149 1/2
1,407 Posts
I had my wife learn in the winter on the ramp when nobody was around. I also had my buddy sit with her and show her rather than me. That way there wasn't added pressure of her worrying about me getting upset with her. We purposely went out on a holiday weekend and had her jump right in and she was fine.

·
Registered
373 Posts

·
Some guys never learn.
658 Posts
Saw one that took the prize Memorial day at Don Pedro. The ramp is about 6 lanes wide with a dock on each side. There is a light breeze blowing cross ways to the ramp. A guy in an old Cobalt bow rider pulls up to to one dock and jumps out of the front of his boat tying only the front of the boat to the dock and letting the wind blow his boat away from the dock so that the boat and six feet of bow line block about half of the ramp from use. He just leaves it that way while he goes to his car to get something and head back down.

·
32 DW X-CAT
2,271 Posts
Comment:

Wait in line is what I do swinging around to the front is a good way to start confrontation and hostility.

As for teaching the wife or girlfriend:

1. The empty parking lot is great per Devilman.

2. Sit in the truck versus in the boat and walk her through the appropriate technique---preferably on a slow day so she is not nervous or distracted.

3. Use a handheld motorola radio to boost her confidence and talk her through the steps including depth of trailer on retrieval it works great. Plus you need not wait around the launch like the rest of the rookies you can hangout further out and have her call you in when she is backing down.

I can say my wife is an awesome wingman:) and knows how to drive a HD2500 with trailer like it is childs play probably better than me at the end of the season.

Oh one more thing on the launch ramp--- I always have the mindset that the person in front of me does not boat often and he/she will take tons of time. So when they act like a pro I usually have a smile or say damn that is the way it should be done:D and give them a :))THumbsUp.

We sometimes sit at the launch ramp aka Divorce court and watch--- it is quite entertaining---biggest offense is not having drive up or sinking the trailer to deep:).

KAP

1 - 20 of 80 Posts