Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just had Paul Pfaff's shop install a new 555 and our Lavorsi/Gaffrig monster GPS speedo is stuck on 55mph, about 9 the o'clock position.I can hit the erase and it clears and goes right back to 55. Does anyone know how to diag this thing or should I remove the guage and sender and send it to Lavorsi?
We are trying to find the correct prop for this boat and motor and with out a speedo it makes it a little more difficult. The last prop we tried was a lab 30 that is actually about a 28. We are seeing about 5300 RPM.
I also don't know anything about the "X" demension. I feel like the boat needs to be a little lighter when I trim up. It just feels like it's not getting any air under it.
Any help is appreciated.

·
6,873 Posts
Your GPS unit may be mounted in the wrong place, Your GPS may be bad, the speedo may be bad.
The wiring may be incorrect or have a bad wire.
I had this same question and that is the answer Livorsi gave me...

·
Hanging Member
239 Posts
Sounds like that POS is falling apart.....maybe you should just nut up and buy a new one.

Plus, I never liked the name anyways.....

Attachments

·
Wishin I was at the lake!
547 Posts
What kind of boat, estimated hp, X dimension, etc? Need some details. Open bow cats need some bow lift because of the extra weight up front compared to the closed bow counterparts. Bravo 4 blade usually works well, but if the X is too high one symptom can be a lack of sensitivity to up-trim, because there's not enough blade in the water. Could be lots of things, but that's one to think about.

·
Hanging Member
239 Posts
I say you see if that motor is gonna last longer than 10 hours before you start worring about props and "X" dimension. :D

Don't worry, I'll tow you to the Channel and back....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice work with the photo shop Punchy.....Ass.
By the way you will probably be riding in my POS this summer since yours isn't done. Yours is a NEW company so hopefully she floats.:)hand

·
Hanging Member
239 Posts
At least the company/owner building my boat is going into business.....not going out of business....:):)punch

Oh....and mine comes with a stereo. Do you know what that is? It's the little box with blinking lights that sends a signal to those round and oval mesh things called speakers and thus produces a sound most people identify as music. It's one of those minor things that are supposed to be included in a boat when one spends the kind of money you did. Just contact the owner of Force, I'm sure it was an oversight.....or not. :D

p.s. maybe when they forgot the stereo, they also forgot to install the "X" dimension as well as some extra air under the hull.....just swing by, I'm sure they'll hook you up.....if not, I've got a compressor...I'll throw some air under there for free.:)devil

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the guy who sold me my boat has something to do with the new company........make sure you don't have any "over sights". FYI things to look out for, Engine stuff (600sc or 525) they are both blue;) and make sure the helm can be put on either side. Have you seen your stereo yet? All I am saying is things happen, it aint over till the fat lady floats!

·
Hanging Member
239 Posts
All kidding aside, I can't speak for the circumstances leading to him leave Force and starting Barracuda. I'm sure, being that this is Dano's first Barracuda build and somewhat of a make or break situation, he will ensure there are no oversights on anyone's behalf. What with everyone on this board, Performance Boat Mag, Hot Boat Mag, and any other potential buyer or performance boating mag out there waiting for the completion of #1 with a critical eye, the bar has been set high and will need to be reached if success is expected to follow.

·
32 DW X-CAT
2,271 Posts
We just had Paul Pfaff's shop install a new 555 and our Lavorsi/Gaffrig monster GPS speedo is stuck on 55mph, about 9 the o'clock position.I can hit the erase and it clears and goes right back to 55. Does anyone know how to diag this thing or should I remove the guage and sender and send it to Lavorsi?
We are trying to find the correct prop for this boat and motor and with out a speedo it makes it a little more difficult. The last prop we tried was a lab 30 that is actually about a 28. We are seeing about 5300 RPM.
I also don't know anything about the "X" demension. I feel like the boat needs to be a little lighter when I trim up. It just feels like it's not getting any air under it.
Any help is appreciated.
Hello Chaos:

Well with respect to the GPS--- it can be lot of things.

List can be as follows:

1. The GPS puck or antennae is not reading properly because it is mounted improperly ie... under the dash via silicone. I had mine mounted under the gunwale and it is still finicky---it is best to have it mounted top side on the dash with unobstructed view to the sky.

2. Check to see if the speedo is wired backward---when turned on it should wind up to max and slowly return to 0.

3. The speedo could be bad as Livorsi---did have a few batchs that were defective---they will not tell you which ones but quite a few. Contact them directly with serial number of guage and best case scenario they will ask you to return the one you have for a replacement.

It appears from the limited facts you provided that yours is not working properly at all ie...defective--- if it simply goes to 55 and freezes. I had a problem with mine not holding or recalling the top speed---it would hold it a couple times then nothing. I contacted Livorsi directly and they assisted in the replacement of our speedo including labor and parts.

Livorsi customer service is very good if you contact them directly and provide sufficient facts about the problem your experiencing. If the boat is relatively new they may send you a new speedo but get them to include the antennae/puck as well---solo I believe the puck is $180.00 bucks. You want to have everything brand new to eliminate all the variables.

FYI--- a simple handheld Garmin is also great to have if you want to dial in props without having to wait for a new gauge or determination by Livorsi. I currently have two independent forms of speed monitoring the Livorsi speedo guage and a full screen Garmin as a backup.

Hope this helps.

KAP

P.S. Livorsi has a great deal of info on their website it is worth a visit for more information.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Punchy,
All kidding aside, the only reason I bought a Force was because of Danno and if I were in the market for a Deck I would by it from him.
Brad should stick to drywall, Force was growing and doing great until Danno left and brad took over.I am shure your boat will turn out great and I cant wait to see the finished product.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.