Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So is the point of a leak down test to find our where air is escaping or if your leaking air at all? Will the cylinder ever hold air perminently or does it allways leak?

Got any good step by step instructions that i can follow for my SBC? or tips or suggestions i should follow?

thanks!!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
379 Posts
Realistically, if it's that bad then just pressurizing the cylinder with air while it's at TDC with the valves closed will tell you what's leaking, if the escaping air is coming out the valve cover then it's most likely the piston or rings, if it comes out the intake it's an intake valve, if it's coming out the headers the exhaust valve, if it comes out an adjacent cylinder or the water hose usually a head gasket. Most of the time anyway. From your other post a 90 psi loss is going to show up somewhere, wont matter if the engine is warm or cold.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Realistically, if it's that bad then just pressurizing the cylinder with air while it's at TDC with the valves closed will tell you what's leaking, if the escaping air is coming out the valve cover then it's most likely the piston or rings, if it comes out the intake it's an intake valve, if it's coming out the headers the exhaust valve, if it comes out an adjacent cylinder or the water hose usually a head gasket. Most of the time anyway. From your other post a 90 psi loss is going to show up somewhere, wont matter if the engine is warm or cold.

its a 60 PSi loss but thank you for all your help. For reall!!!

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
del, there's a hole in those pistons man. the speckles told the tell , build ya a 383 now:)devil

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Hush fool hush... Im hoping for the best... :D
lol, i saw a nice used rotating assembly for sale on yellowbullet.com for under 600, pistons/rods/crank and it was all forged stuff, almost bought it myself:D

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol, i saw a nice used rotating assembly for sale on yellowbullet.com for under 600, pistons/rods/crank and it was all forged stuff, almost bought it myself:D

Il have to wait till i confirm shit went kaboom before the wife unit Ok's any additional boat purchases.. I do have a baby on the way ya know.. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts