Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my buddy do a leak down and all cylinders are at 20% when is it time for a rebuild. At what percentage do you say time for a rebuild

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
An engine in great condition should generally show only 5 to 10% leakage. An engine that’s still in pretty good condition may show up to 20% leakage. But more than 30% leakage indicates trouble.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
An engine in great condition should generally show only 5 to 10% leakage. An engine that’s still in pretty good condition may show up to 20% leakage. But more than 30% leakage indicates trouble.
especially if he's using rings with big gaps. i've got a pretty good size gap on top and bottom, i leaked 10% at 3hrs on the motor, and after about 30hrs, its down to 8%. the rings broke in and sealed up alil more over time. still have 240psi cranking compression across the cylinders, and i've put alot of nitrous thru it.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shoot then its good to go!!!!!!!!!!!! I only put maybe 5-10hrs a yr on it so its probably good for a few more years.

·
149 BGJ-Willis Power 540
538 Posts
Blown Howard,

When you notice there is a lot of blow by, that tells you something is in need of repair too.

On my engine, when I get blow by coming out the breathers, I've melted something.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts