Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a great river trip to Fishers until our run up to piccacho, and I noticed my carpet was wet. Turned out to be fuel leaking from my bow tank. Its a 73 tahiti, and it has the original gas tank up there. I dont want to cut more holes in the boat for side mounted tanks nor deal with more plumping and levers and all that. I just want to replace the tank and get back on the water. Any suggestions? Can I just buy a similar dimensioned plastic tank, glass in some 2x2s for a strap or 2 and call it good? It seems simple, but I feel like im missing something. Also, can someone tell me why side tanks are better? Im not racing, just cruising...the boat has a 455 olds, and maybe does 50. Thanks again for the help. Also, has anyone put in side tanks, but retained the filler cap on the bow?

·
Registered
546 Posts
gas tanks

yes u can do a simple plastic tank replacement. but i have seen major performance changes by moving the tanks and getting the weight out of the bow.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
We did the change on a Glenco, which is a similiar boat. Two biggest benifits in my opinion is you get the weight out of the nose and put it in the back. This helps the hull run dryer and a little more free. I think we picked up 4-5 mph just by eliminating the bow tank. Then there's all the room you get for storage up under the bow. Nice to have a place for chairs, towels, ski's, whatever. I would say the simplest solution is to just replace the bow tank though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts