Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much salt should I be using? I seem to use about 60 lbs a month.and about 1 to 2 inches of water a week.I noticed the deck raised under the pool sweep attachment about 3/4 inch for about a year now.I plugged the sweep attachment and bumped the pump to about 15 lbs and closed the jandy valve to isolate it and the pressure dropped to 0 in about 1 minute.The deck is stamped with 2 colors.Any suggestions besides breaking the deck?

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
You should not lose any salt with evaporation. Salt is a mineral and does not leave the pool with evaporation. You only lose salt through splash out and leaks. From the sound of it you have already pinpointed the leak to the dedicated sweep line. Is it a pressure side cleaner or suction side.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You should not lose any salt with evaporation. Salt is a mineral and does not leave the pool with evaporation. You only lose salt through splash out and leaks. From the sound of it you have already pinpointed the leak to the dedicated sweep line. Is it a pressure side cleaner or suction side.
Yes but when you have evaporation fresh water is added to compensate. Fresh water will for sure lower your salt content.

To the question at hand. Do you live in a high wind area and what has your outside temps been running? If your truley lossing 2" a week, this time of the year you can about say you have a leak. The best way to find out is first do a bucket test then call a leak detection Co.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The salt will not evaporate !!!! Your salinity will only increase with evaporation and when you add fresh water in the same amount evaporated your salinity should then be at desired levels or very close to it.. I think your on to the leak I know thats not what you wanted to hear....:mad: Sorry and I feel ya A$$$$

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pressure side sweep.I am going to cap everything tomorrow and pressurize it and isolate the sweep. If that holds than I know the sweep line is leaking.What do they use to find the leak a camera, ultrasound?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the leak is about 18" from the inside.Would it be possible to seal it from the inside?I forgot to mention the slab is 8 to 10" thick but their is a stone band about a foot from where I think it is leaking. So I can remove the stone and chip out the concrete and possibly access it but it would be a bastard of a dead end connection.pinpointing the leak would be a big help.

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
Your salt only goes away due to leakage.

I do not use salt, but am going through the sme deal, but much greater water loss.
(1 1/2' in 3 days with the fill turned off)
My pool is 21x42, 10' deep end, roughly 38K gallons.
I isolated it to suction line, and had a guy come do sonic testing.
The BIG leak is not under the slab, thankfully!
Looking at around a grand to dig up next to pump and fix the big leak, but the slab needs broken up to fix a much smaller leak.
The guys doing it are neighbors that have been doing pool repair for 40 years, they told me that anything less than digging it up is a waste of time.
Going to do the easy one first and hope for the best! If we can afford it, we are doing a remodel on it next winter so the little leak can wait till then.
Good luck!

·
8anned
4,154 Posts
I think the leak is about 18" from the inside.Would it be possible to seal it from the inside?I forgot to mention the slab is 8 to 10" thick but their is a stone band about a foot from where I think it is leaking. So I can remove the stone and chip out the concrete and possibly access it but it would be a bastard of a dead end connection.pinpointing the leak would be a big help.
I would think you should be able to seal from the inside depending on how much pressure runs through it. I know plumbers can repair like this for drainage lines.

·
Registered
707 Posts
How much deck is there in that spot, IF the leak is at the sweep and close to the wall then its an easy fix, core drill a new hole and tap into the line a few feet back , this is the easiest. The pool sweep line is probably valved at the eguip., so put a rubber exspansion plug in the pool outlet and cut the line at the valve and glue a coupling with a gauge and hose bib on it and put 12 to 15 pounds of water press. in the line, you will know if you have a leak in a few min. even if its really small.. Bucket test works but will not tell you WHERE it is!!! sounds like you think its at the sweep so Isolate the sweep and see, you can do this yourself and save money and even do all the lines until you find it. If I remember ,leak detececters are not cheap!!! Just REMEMBER,,,, Always releif the pressure off ther system by opening the bleeder valve on top on the filter!!!!!!!!

·
R.I.P. Dakota
255 Posts
A landscaper hit one of my lines with a pick. I was able to dig around the pipe and I used a waterproof epoxy around the pipe. It's held up for 2 years now.
Good luck

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I isolated the hot tub and pumped 10psi in the pool skimmer. Seems to be holding. I then isolated the pool sweep from the skimmers and pumped to 10psi and it blows out around the base of the connection of the sweep.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I isolated the hot tub and pumped 10psi in the pool skimmer. Seems to be holding. I then isolated the pool sweep from the skimmers and pumped to 10psi and it blows out around the base of the connection of the sweep.
What do you mean ???athe fitting in the pool wall or at the equip.???

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought it was at the pool fitting, so I added some teflon and It's leaking but not at the fitting.Will a leak detector be able to pinpoint the leak? It is leaking from the pool sweep for sure.

·
Registered
707 Posts
how much concrete is there from the pool edge to some dirt.......

pool edge> (.....concrete..............................) <edge of deck
water dirt

You can core a 2" hole and repipe the sweep line in 1 1/2" its a pretty easy job. otherwise you will have to abondon the line or just keep adding water!!.

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
how much concrete is there from the pool edge to some dirt.......

pool edge> (.....concrete..............................) <edge of deck
water dirt

You can core a 2" hole and repipe the sweep line in 1 1/2" its a pretty easy job. otherwise you will have to abondon the line or just keep adding water!!.
That sounds like a good fix.
I have done that on one of my discharge lines. Went from 1 1/4" to 1". Leak was about 10" up the line. It leaked worse with the pumps off, pool would drain out around the pipe end at the pool wall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can get a leak detection done. The guy will come out with a syringe of fluid that turns bright flourescent in water. He'll apply the fluid to any possible cracks, if it draws into the crack, then he's identified the leak. Pretty simple, think it costs a few hundred per pop.

I did a Condo complex with a pool above a parking garage. Underneath the pool in the parking garage we had a really slow drip, I mean 1 to 2 drips per minute. Isolating the leak was a bitch - drove us crazy for a year, but had to be done because it was dripping on someones parking spot.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts