Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My pops has an '88 Nordic 19" with a 200 Black Max on it....and it seems to be quite the piece of shit.

Bought the boat in 2000 from a guy in havi, it ran good for about 5 years...(excepting the need to change the impeller every year) then it locked up one day while skiing. I don't think this engine has ever been to full throttle. The old man just ski's with it...thats it.

Dunno why it locked up, but it did. oil pump was still working fine..using merc oil. Bought a complete rebuilt unit from Lakeland for $$$$...the following season the lower unit blew up. Paid Lakeland $$$$ to fix the lower unit. I got a call from pops tonight...2 years later, and the thing developed a slight tick, which within the course of about 15 seconds developed into a knock and he shut it down. Just had it tore down...rod bearing shot, crank shot, rod shot, debris wiped out the affected cylinder wall.

When I was a kid, the old man had a 100hp evinrude on a 16ft regatta...we ran that boat for 17 years and changed plugs every 3rd season...thats it...probably had the original impeller in it when we sold it someone who still runs it today and still hasn't changed the impeller.

I remember a buddy with an old 1150 merc "tower of power" on a tahiti that used to show up at the river with it to work on it all weekend while we skied behind our boat. Are Mercs just pieces of shit or did we get a lemon?

Whats the best course of action here? I can't see spending another $6 or 7 grand on a rebuilt again, this one has less than 100 hours on it. The old man isn't gonna go for throwing $15K down on a new one. I can pick up whole boat with a 200 outboard on it for a couple grand...but it's a gamble....

I play with real engines so I have trouble wrapping my mind around why this thing won't run for 20 years.

·
Under yo mommas bed
1,884 Posts
Buy a used Force 125. Best damn engine out there. You won't have any more Merc problems.:)devil

·
Registered
760 Posts
V-4 Omc...

I raced with Evinrude from 1966-76 basically full time. OMC Engineering developed a great motor. I ran the Parker 9 Hour Enduro three years in a row with the same V-4 and finish everytime...Won my class and was third overall... My brother had a V-4 on a Glaspar we ran 590 hours (13-15 years) before we replaced the bearings, then we ran it 40 hours before we found the hour meter was broken....We skied from sun up to sin down at Needles forever. We stored the boat in town and everyone I knew had a key for our storage unit. We'd frequently come to town and have to "FIND" our boat.....

The Mercury S-3000 and 260 seem to be wonderful engines...but an S-3 is $12,000 plus or minus...

We are going to be working on putting together a 2.5 V-6 Mercury on Saturday 6/13/09 in Santa Ana. If you want to bring your motor/boat we can look at it...I've throw several 2.4 blocks away as I don't like 2.4...Maybe we can piece you a powerhead together.... Cell phone 714-608-7147...

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ron, I'll give you a call in a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
First, junk the oil injection on whatever motor you buy. Pre-mix it and you won't have to worry whether it works or not.

Second, call Kevin at R&R Prop Shop (vendor/advertiser on this board). He sold a buddy of mine a complete 2.5/260hp modified powerhead for $4300, and that's the hot rod stuff. A stock 200 would be less than that for sure. Might even ask about him rebuilding it for you. That would be even cheaper, since you have most of the hard parts. 702-564-7502.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Ibhsbz Talked to Your Dad...

Seems your dad has the rebuild under control...

I agree with STV Keith 100% on the OIL INJECTION.....get rid of it.

I might add that I generally run a quart of oil to 5 gallons but I AM OLD SCHOOL...

Chad runs a pint of Redline to five...

Keith...For Skiing only one mile at a time would you back the timing down???

Ibhsbz's dad says they only ski a mile at a time...

Number six went out....Maybe water caused it????

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
I run my 260 timing at the factory spec, 25* advance. Could be water, but I'd guess lack of oil due to it taking out the crank journal/bearings too.

I run 32:1 (quart to 8 gals) on my hot rod motors, and 50:1 (quart to 12.5gals) on the fishing motors.

·
Banne'd
2,568 Posts
First, junk the oil injection on whatever motor you buy. Pre-mix it and you won't have to worry whether it works or not.

Second, call Kevin at R&R Prop Shop (vendor/advertiser on this board). He sold a buddy of mine a complete 2.5/260hp modified powerhead for $4300, and that's the hot rod stuff. A stock 200 would be less than that for sure. Might even ask about him rebuilding it for you. That would be even cheaper, since you have most of the hard parts. 702-564-7502.

Those extra holes that the rod takes out get expensive to fill back in.

·
Baller on a Budget
168 Posts
Somethings not right with your motor or whoever did the build on it. My Merc 200 2.5 carb motor has had the piss ran out of it for the five years I've had it and is still going strong. Still has the same compression numbers it had the day I bought it. Also my dad has had a '92 Merc 200 XRi fuel injected motor since day one and it is still going strong. He uses his probaly 10 times a year and I'm out on the water almost every weekend during the summer. In my opinion Mercury has the best motor you can buy as far as an outboard. Theres only a few things that cause an outboard to let go. Running lean, overheating, timing being off, or over reving. When I was a kid my dad had one of those "Tower of Power" 1150 motors and yes I remember plenty of times being at the river watchin him work on that thing. He rebuilt that thing 3 times one summer. Now hes pretty savvy(sp) when comes to outboards. I also have my oil injection removed and I would recomend that to everyone. As long as you keep up on maintnence they will last you a long time.

·
44 Posts
My 1988 200 Black Max

I run the exact same engine you have and to be honest aside from changing the impeller I have not had a single problem in over 20 years. Sounds like there may be a problem with the rebuild. Merc makes a solid engine. Sorry to hear about all your trouble.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts