Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the pros and cons of these 2 drives with high horsepower in a jet drag boat?

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
what are the pros and cons of these 2 drives with high horsepower in a jet drag boat?
The lenco shaft needs the engine and pump in perfect alignment.
The u joints do not, which is nice if you want to mount the engine
Level in the boat instead of the same angle as the pump.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The lenco shaft needs the engine and pump in perfect alignment.
The u joints do not, which is nice if you want to mount the engine
Level in the boat instead of the same angle as the pump.
Just curious, but if the Lenco is used there will be no extra friction in the drive train to the pump and if the u-joints are used there may be a tad more friction which could take away the net horsepower to the pump?

·
LAID IN MEXICO
750 Posts
hot

The Lenco style gets ​HOT !
i ran a lenco in my cp tunnel. i never ran it for very long, but the few times i ran it for maybe 10 min or so, it never even got warm. it never showed any signs of wear either. there are a few river runners out there running them. i would ask B1 racing what his take on it is. cyclone covered some of the points i can think of. alignment could be a big issue if you ever wanted to make intake and motor placement changes.

when i set my pump back, i just raised the engine up about 3/8", but it would have been a different story if i was moving the engine, or changing the intake type, or angle. i think you have more flexability with a u-joint set up.

i really liked the solid driveline. but really, i see more benefites using the u joint driveline. now a day, everyone has a jet away, so you dont need to remove the driveline to warm up, and you can get some crazy strong u joints. mine was origionally old school with no jet away, and thats why it had a lenco. i just kept it, and moved the pump back to clear the jet away and a pop off.

·
It's a sickness
1,354 Posts
I run a lenco, love it. eazy for wormup if you dont have a jetaway and only have a valve. gets a little worm but never hot.

·
Bostick Racing Engines
1,063 Posts
Cost and versatility goes towards the u-joint setup. You can change motor angle or height without any driveline issues.

Simplicity, ease of unhooking pump without a jetaway, and that cool racer parts look goes towards Lenco shaft.

I run one in my Crusader and it tends to get warm-ish on a couple mile haul up river... but I wouldn't say hot. It works great, easy to disconect the pump, etc... but is sure clunky and makes a racket when cranking the motor over or shutting down... but then mine is 25-30 years old... so... it's got a bit of wear to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts