Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am having a debate with a few friends that are having a hard time believing how quick, fast a jet boat can run on pump gas or race gas....Can you guys help me out!? I would get some data off my set up buts its not ready to fire just yet. I checked the how fast is your boat thread but wasnt finding what I needed. If you could help me out that would be great.

What I am looking for is what your boat runs on........

pump gas?
race gas?
pump gas with boost?
race gas with boost?
nitrous?
Nitrous with boost?

What hull, impeller and what rpm would be great to!!

Thanks everyone!!

Travis

· Boss of the McIntyre Mob
1,938 Posts
pump gas? Yes
race gas? no
pump gas with boost? no
race gas with boost? no
nitrous? no
Nitrous with boost? no

What hull, impeller and what rpm would be great to!!

21' TPR deck boat. AA imp and around 5600-5800 depending on weather.

79.6 mph with 2 peeps and lots of fuel.

· Living in a cage of fear
16,524 Posts
Pump Gas
No boost (2 660 holleys on TR)
No nitrous
"A" impeller, wore out JC Berk

19' Miller (79')
.030 454

Last year 70 MPH exactly on GPS at 5200 RPM

Should be much better this year if I ever get the new pump sorted out.

· Sit N' Spin
1,345 Posts
pump gas? Yes
race gas? No
pump gas with boost? No
race gas with boost? No
nitrous? No
Nitrous with boost? No

18' Marlin Tigershark (Tahiti copy), A impeller, Aggressor droop, Place diverter, no shoe or rideplate

5300 RPM and 77mph.

· Resident Ford Nut
10,033 Posts
Ok, I am having a debate with a few friends that are having a hard time believing how quick, fast a jet boat can run on pump gas or race gas....Can you guys help me out!?

Travis
I'm going to infer from that that you are looking for some "quick" and "fast" boats to back up your statement to your friends ?

Define "quick" and "fast" please.

S CP :D

· Resident Ford Nut
10,033 Posts
Ok, I am having a debate with a few friends that are having a hard time believing how quick, fast a jet boat can run on pump gas or race gas....Can you guys help me out!? I would get some data off my set up buts its not ready to fire just yet. I checked the how fast is your boat thread but wasnt finding what I needed. If you could help me out that would be great.

Travis
Wrong thread....

Start reading; 35 pages 1,036 posts have fun ;)

http://www.performanceboats.com//showthread.php?t=2851&highlight=engines

Sleeper CP :D

16,524 Posts
I'm going to infer from that that you are looking for some "quick" and "fast" boats to back up your statement to your friends ?

Define "quick" and "fast" please.

Quit teasing Jon!!:)hand:)hand

· Banned
4,833 Posts
I never noticed any difference between 116 race gas and 100LL. The biggest factor in performance was air temp and humidity. With a total CR at 15.4 with 12 pounds of boost, pump gas is only allowed if I need the fuel to return to the ramp and don't exceed 3500 revs and no boost.

100LL blended with 15% 93 or Marvel
Heavy ass 19'6" Hallett bubble.
90 mph gps turning a stainless A 6200

· Resident Ford Nut
10,033 Posts
Quit teasing Jon!!:)hand:)hand
;)

I was thinking along the lines of; if Travis is talking to car guys they may not know that a boat at the drags gets a run up of 120' before it hits the lights. That means that a 10.00 or 8.00 boat hits the beams at anywhere from 45-65mph. You do the math....but in short that's a hell of a head start on the clocks.

Example: my friend Ron Segni ran 9.00's in the 1/4 mile at 110 mph (840 HP 460" Chevy). Through his data acq he know that from the rope to the lights ( 120') his boat was hitting the lights/clock at 62 mph. When he was racing he knew of only a few boats that hit the lights harder. The boat ran 110 mph in the 1/4 but was running 62 at the start. It ran 1,000' at 7.00 at 110 mph.

A stout 8.00 boat like CS19 or Gofastturnleft runs 130 in the 1/4 with an 1/8th at 4.48 +/- at 125 mph +/- but they too hit the lights at 60+ or there a bouts.

I don't know the exact numbers but someone who know can correct me on it but a 9.00 Jet at 110 mph matches with a 125 mph Hydro and an 8.00 jet boat at 130 matches with a 145+ mph hydo or somewhere around that.

· Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am looking for more just top mph speed really. I have a freind with a baja open bow jet that is a V bottom with a blown BBC in it non intercooled. He has ran everything from a B to now an AA 9.5 impeller and his mph had stayed the exact same but the rpm has gone from 6500 to 5200. He is set on nobody can run more than 6 psi on pump gas, right now he runs 75 on gps and has done that at 6500 and 5200. Has ran the same mph also on 6 psi and 12 psi....??

I really think he is just being help back by his hull but he is certian he is not. He talked to a guy that told him he runs 78 on 7 psi and pump gas, then at 10-12 psi with race gas and a 200 worth of bottle on top of the blower picks up 40+ mph.

Just trying to see what others are doing with their sets ups is all and help show him some real world set ups.

Thanks guys!!

Travis

· SLOW MEMBER
447 Posts
pump gas, Yes
race gas, No
pump gas with boost, we are running 8 psi of boost on a 388 sbc intercooled with a 6-71 blower. Boat spins a b impeller 6200 rpms 89-90 on my gps speedo no matter what the temp outside.
race gas with boost, we have run pump gas, runs a little better, no noticable difference in mph.
nitrous, not yet
Nitrous with boost, coming soon.

What hull, impeller and what rpm would be great to!! The hull is a mako 18 foot with a flat center "pad". Pump is set back a bunch, droop, divereter, lots of tuning with different loaders. Really needs a new impeller.

· Registered
3,568 Posts
I am looking for more just top mph speed really. I have a freind with a baja open bow jet that is a V bottom with a blown BBC in it non intercooled. He has ran everything from a B to now an AA 9.5 impeller and his mph had stayed the exact same but the rpm has gone from 6500 to 5200. He is set on nobody can run more than 6 psi on pump gas, right now he runs 75 on gps and has done that at 6500 and 5200. Has ran the same mph also on 6 psi and 12 psi....??

I really think he is just being help back by his hull but he is certian he is not. He talked to a guy that told him he runs 78 on 7 psi and pump gas, then at 10-12 psi with race gas and a 200 worth of bottle on top of the blower picks up 40+ mph.

Just trying to see what others are doing with their sets ups is all and help show him some real world set ups.

Thanks guys!!

Travis

sounds like your buddy needs to start looking into why he's picking up rpm and not speed. sounds like the bottom/loader/hardware needs to be looked at.

· Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sounds like your buddy needs to start looking into why he's picking up rpm and not speed. sounds like the bottom/loader/hardware needs to be looked at.
Thanks Mike!!! That is exacxtly what I keep telling hime but I am getting nowhere......:)sphss

Travis

· Registered
1,349 Posts
He needs to start looking for a different hull. Those Baja V-Bottoms are very hard to ever make run. They just weren't made to go that fast. If he ever gets it over 74/75 MPH, he's going to run into some serious handling problems and probably get pitched and even hurt. Texas Jet would be a good person to talk to about this. He has had first hand experience.

· Administrator
7,160 Posts
The best we have so far from Info Jr''s boat is 93 on GPS and 91 on a time slip. (untill next weekend)

Old Rogers hull. Intake a mess old berk JB-A "B" impeller 6,600 RPM no boost no nitrous nothing spectacular with the .030 over engine but alcohol and not gas.

I would say he has hit a roadblock with the boat if changing the pump is not helping. We are experiencing the same thing. The intake is horrible in this boat. Were finishing out this year and will make a decision to compare the $$ between buying a later greater hull or put an intake in this one.

· Sit N' Spin
1,345 Posts
I also know of a guy who runs a pump gas Ford 460 and is pushing between 85-90 on GPS.

As has been mentioned COUNTLESS times...engine power is only ONE variable in the MPH equation. Hydrodynamic design of the hull itself plays a HUGE role in this.

16,524 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.