Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would beat HJ to the punch and ask everyone what temperature they run and their opinions on them. I am quite frankly, surprised he hasn't started one yet.

Anyway, In a recent plumbing thread there were some very different opinions.

So, what temperature do you run? Why?

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
:)bulb I don't think HJ has hit the water yet.

Too many beers ago to remember what the Miller and the 1st engine in the Mach 1 did on engine temp.

Here's a clue on the 1st engine in the Mach 1 though... :)st

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
I would say these numbers would vary based on the application and HP of the motor. I run the water 110-125 and the oil 180-200. Its a balancing act but I believe getting the oil hot so it does its job is priority #1. I was told cooler temps make more HP

·
Registered
325 Posts
Different setups=different temps.
I have no bypass, no jet inlet regulator, no t-stat. From jet to block, 2 out the t-stat housing- 1 to headers, 1 straight to dump.
If I remember right, idles usually at 190* runs about 100*-110*.
I have to control temp/flow with the ball valve on the inlet of the jet.
It's not the best way but it works for now.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Mines been running at around 155° but I'm sure that will change when the water heats up.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I have a ball valve at the jet. Thats wide open. Straight to the water pump holes. Out the T stat with no restrictor or t stat. One goes to the bassett valve one dumps out the back.
My temp never goes over 135 in the summer.
It stays around 100-110 right now.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I consistently run 170-80 (water temp) and will climb to 190 while idling after a run.

Too hot?

130 seems really cold.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My ballvalve is less that 1/2 open. Water goes in the front of block and out through the Tstat housing. One side of the Tstat dumps, the other goes to my header valve then back to a bassett T and on to the headers.
I could get it much cooler if needed. I wonder though, should it be running cooler?

·
lol, right.....
1,168 Posts
I have a ball valve at the jet. Thats wide open. Straight to the water pump holes. Out the T stat with no restrictor or t stat. One goes to the bassett valve one dumps out the back.
My temp never goes over 135 in the summer.
It stays around 100-110 right now.
That is a carbon copy of my set-up. All the way down to the ball valve that someone will surely come in & say is: ghetto/crap/junk/no good/don't work right, or "dude, you need to get a gate valve cause ball valves suck", lol. :rolleyes: :D Been running it that way for 4 years....:)hand

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
I consistently run 170-80 (water temp) and will climb to 190 while idling after a run.

Too hot?

130 seems really cold.

same temps here :)devil . a motor needs alittle heat in it;) too cold is just as bad as too hot.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is a carbon copy of my set-up. All the way down to the ball valve that someone will surely come in & say is: ghetto/crap/junk/no good/don't work right, or "dude, you need to get a gate valve cause ball valves suck", lol. :rolleyes: :D Been running it that way for 4 years....:)hand

IMO if a valve is going to be run a ball is preferable over a gate.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts