Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
The King
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not know the injured fireman or if he is a member here. I hope he heals fast...

http://www.havasunews.com/articles/2009/08/10/news/doc4a80f65ea2f1d219096849.txt

Lake Havasu City Fire Department officials confirmed a local firefighter suffered a serious eye injury Sunday morning at a gun club after he was involved in a firearm accident.

The off-duty firefighter is 31-year-old Mark Maloney, of Lake Havasu City, according to Mark Beals, vice president of Lake Havasu Firefighters Association. Beals contacted the Today’s News-Herald Monday afternoon on behalf of the Maloney family.

Fire Chief Dennis Mueller said early Monday, “He is up at Sunrise (Medical Center) in Las Vegas recovering. … He is doing a lot better than what was expected,” Mueller said. Maloney has undergone surgery for the injury, he said.

Lake Havasu City Sportsman’s Club president Roy Hubert said Monday the incident happened about 9 a.m. Sunday at the gun club’s No. 1 Rifle Bay.

“He (Maloney) was apparently shooting a friend of his’ gun and apparently it was a bad reload, an overload, and it ended up exploding the gun,” Hubert said.

Lake Havasu City Police spokesperson Lt. Rich Sloma said Maloney was wearing earplugs at the time of the accident, however safety glasses were not found in the area.

The gun club president said he did not see the injury. A fellow firefighter, who was with Maloney at the time, tended to him until he was air evacuated by medical helicopter to Las Vegas from the scene of the incident, Hubert was told.

“It was a catastrophic failure; it was an ammunition failure. … It was not the gunman’s fault,” Hubert said. The firefighters were apparently working with reload ammunition at the time of the accident and there was “inappropriate ammunition in the weapon,” the gun club president said.

The firearm involved in the incident was a Browning rifle of an unspecified caliber, according to both Hubert and local police officials.

Lake Havasu City Police Sgt. Troy Stirling said Monday the Browning is in his department’s possession only because it was involved in an injury-related incident and there are no criminal investigations under way surrounding Sunday’s accident.

Stirling said initial police investigations of the accident determined the wrong type of gunpowder was apparently used during the ammunition reload process. Initial reports show a possibility that handgun-grade gunpowder was used to reload the rifle ammunition, which caused it to not properly explode when fired, he said.

Lake Havasu Firefighter Association has established a donation account for Maloney and his family at Bank of America. Donations are also being accepted at any fire station.

·
Wade & Denise
2,055 Posts
Hope he pulls thru ok! I had some friends that reloaded there own ammo & would like to make the loads as they stated "Hot Loads" you can definitely tell the difference when they fire them off....

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Very sad! I hope that he gets back to 100% soon. PLEASE always wear eye protection when shooting, it's SO important!

I had a catastrophic failure when shooting my Glock 35, definitely NOT something I would ever like to happen again. Luckily I didn't loose any fingers and things could have been WAY worse.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yowch. I hope the dude is OK.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Damn, hope they were able to save his eye.

Def have to be careful when doing your own reloads. I've been looking into it but I don't think I'll ever stray from spec when I do.

·
About 500' AGL
2,471 Posts
You should not only wear EYE protection at all times but you need to be wearing a good quality eye protection with a balistics rating such as
ANSI Z87.1 standards for impact protection. ESS, Oakley, etc..... Serious injury to this person could have easily been avoided.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Very sad! I hope that he gets back to 100% soon. PLEASE always wear eye protection when shooting, it's SO important!

I had a catastrophic failure when shooting my Glock 35, definitely NOT something I would ever like to happen again. Luckily I didn't loose any fingers and things could have been WAY worse.

How the "F" did that happen? Where you using reloads? Or was it equipment failure?

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
Damn, hope they were able to save his eye.

Def have to be careful when doing your own reloads. I've been looking into it but I don't think I'll ever stray from spec when I do.

We all say that, but it doesn't last for long. I've been reloading my own rifle loads for years. Reloading has two major benefits:
Cost is far lower vs commercial, especially the more you reload, and when you load your own, you can get a more accurate, more consistent round over and over you can also get more fps and energy with safe hotter loads. Max loads are pushing every envelope, and don't recommend it.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Bad news, hopefully all works out well, good thing he had firefighter buddies there, (if anything good could come out if this!!).

These stories should be printed out and glued to the walls of your reloading room, read it every time you think about getting an extra 50 FPS out of a reload!!!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Best wishes to the fireman...I don't want to be a kiljoy, but it may not have been preventable. I had a friend that was shooting with his son, safely at a range, both wearing ear and eye protection. The dad shot his revolver and a shaving from the bullet spit out sideways and hit his son in the eye and took out the cornea. 1,000,000 to 1 but it's still a possibility. Stock weapon and ammo.

Be safe, be aware, but stuff happens.

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
I hope the firemen has a full recovery. On a side note, i had a friend kneel down at the academy, and a casing lodged under his knee cap in the soft tissue during a running combat course....something else to watch...what's the odds!

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Dang hot loads and aftermarket parts!!
How the "F" did that happen? Where you using reloads? Or was it equipment failure?
Yup and yup! After we did some investigation, the most likely cause of the failure was a double charge in the case! I had been shooting the same batch of realoads for the the whole match and I was on the last stage...then kaboom!!!

I was reloading on a Dillon 550 but right after that happened, I upgraded my press to the Dillon XL 650 which has a load of fail-safe devices to stop double charges happening.

But unfortunately these catastrophic failures keep happening with the Glock 40! Mainly because they're derivations of the Glock 9mm but have to be "trimmed" down for the .40 parts to fit! Consequently, you have less metal surrounding much greater pressures (9mm v .40) so any slight increase in loads equates to a catastrophic failure!

I will NEVER buy another Glock .40 until they build one from the ground up that is designed for the .40 cal round and not re-gigged from a 9mm!

·
Temporarily Pacified!
5,554 Posts

Damn ukxpat, I have fired hundereds of thousands of rounds in my military, law enforcement, hunting and sport shooting life and have never had that happen. I have melted barrels on .50 cal's and mini-guns but never a chamber explosion.....glad you are well as well as the firefighter. Too hot of a load?

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Damn ukxpat, I have fired hundereds of thousands of rounds in my military, law enforcement, hunting and sport shooting life and have never had that happen. I have melted barrels on .50 cal's and mini-guns but never a chamber explosion.....glad you are well as well as the firefighter. Too hot of a load?
Hey donzi5150, pretty crazy eh! Yeah, looks like it was a double charge, so you can imagine what those case pressures were like! Unfortunately I'm not the only one at my club that this has happened to! The guy who was my RO when my accident happened has blown up 2 Glocks!

I'd love to get to fire some of those weapons you guys use in the Special Forces :)devil Thanks so much for your service BTW!!!

Take a look at this thread...pretty interesting!
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-86558.html

Thanks for the good wishes!

·
Temporarily Pacified!
5,554 Posts
Hey donzi5150, pretty crazy eh! Yeah, looks like it was a double charge, so you can imagine what those case pressures were like! Unfortunately I'm not the only one at my club that this has happened to! The guy who was my RO when my accident happened has blown up 2 Glocks!

I'd love to get to fire some of those weapons you guys use in the Special Forces :)devil Thanks so much for your service BTW!!!

Take a look at this thread...pretty interesting!
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-86558.html

Thanks for the good wishes!
Anytime friend......The Glock .40 is a popular weapon for many LE departments.....I would hate to have this happen in a shootout and not have access to a back up. We were lucky, had the mini and .50 on the bird then the GAU with gernade launcher, M-870 shotgun and 9mm on hand........Back up, to a back up, to a back up.......Be careful out there!

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Anytime friend......The Glock .40 is a popular weapon for many LE departments.....I would hate to have this happen in a shootout and not have access to a back up. We were lucky, had the mini and .50 on the bird then the GAU with gernade launcher, M-870 shotgun and 9mm on hand........Back up, to a back up, to a back up.......Be careful out there!
Now that's what I call being prepared :)devil :)devil :)devil

Unfortunately there have quite a few "incidents" of the Glocks blowing up with supplied LE ammo!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts