Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

· Box Pimp
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We watched the fireworks from our boat Saturday night in Thompson's Bay. Instead of being in the launch ramp mess after the show we went to CC and BBQ'd and hung out. Later we decided to motor over to Heat. We had 2 boats and about 12 people. We parked the boats at the bottom of the condos to walk up and were stopped immediately by the LHC boat police. They told us there was no mooring after 11pm in the Channel. I told them we just wanted to go up to Heat for a drink. The said more police would be coming by writing tickets. They were very nice, just didn't make sense we couldn't leave our boats to go spend money somewhere you can get to by boat! We sit there discussing what to do for 20 to 30 minutes. Then the foot patrol comes by and tell us we can't moor here either. I told them I already spoke to the boat cops about it and they said you would be coming by. They were very nice as well and then said we could go up there. Too bad it was already last call now.

So here is the question. Why make it so difficult for boaters that want to spend money? Would it be that hard to move the mooring time back until all establishments that you can get to by boat are closed. This could have turned out very different if we just parked and went up there to get a drink. Gone for 45 minutes and come back to a couple of tickets.

At least the cops were very nice, not like the last time I ran into them because I was in the Channel after 11pm.

Will someone build a boater friendly place with lots of dock space please. :D

· Box Pimp
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you drove by us twice and didn't stop, wave, smile, offer a drink, nuttin. so I say you shoulda got a ticket for just askin questions...:D:D:D:D
Unless you are 20 feet away from me on a holiday weekend in the channel I probably won't see you. :p

3 weeks ago I went through the channel on Brian's boat and I actually got to look at people and enjoy it. :D

· Brutally Honest
474 Posts
We want answers!!!

Here is a past qoute from Keith Sayre, a respected LHC resident in the boating industry:

"So just want to be clear on one thing, for 30+ years we were allowed to sleep on our boats in the channel and we were allowed to leave our boats overnight without a fee. I cannot remember a single instance of theft or injury or fighting or anything. I'm not saying they may not have happened but they didn't happen often enough to hear about it. Now, it's unsafe because someone says so? They almost passed a plan that would have cost the city $100,000 to try out, why not try out a free opening up of thechannel and see if there really is a danger to anyone or if there would be a bunch of thefts, fights or problems. This type of trial and error program wouldn't really cost anything and it could be discontinued at any time if it failed. Wanna bet that it never happens?"

So Charlie, why is it an illegal now! Doesn't our city leaders have enough common sense to cater and encourage boaters to vacation in LHC?

Why does the city leaders allow the LHC Police Dept to write chicken shit $250 tickets to boaters who moor after 11:00 pm or overnight? Lately, the police department has been on a rampage and citing boaters moored overnight in the channel. Why? Hundreds of boaters come to the city every weekend and spend tens of thousands of dollars supporting the LHC economy. Hotels, restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores, bars, convenience stores, etc, benefit from free spending boaters. The list of businesses and their employees who benefit and rely on tourism is deep. The City of LHC also benefits from all the commerce and tax revenue. Why not draw boaters while the economy is down, tax revenue is down, and unemployment is up? Too many business establishments are closing, or are going under!

So why does the LHC Police Department, who is encouraged by the city leaders, feel that writing these BS parking tickets is more important than enforcing laws pertaining to DUI, traffic, and other important criminal activities! How about arresting some tweakers, who are burglarizing our property. How about enforcing safety related laws? Do you think that theses boaters who are harassed and given chicken shit $250 parking tickets will want to come back and spend their hard earned money here? Especially, when they see boats parked overnight and every night at the Isles Condo Resort. The Isles home owners are privileged to moor overnight on their private beach, while the rest of the LHC citizens and tourists are banned from mooring overnight in the channel. How about giving the rest of us the same privilege? Allow overnight mooring in the channel!!!

Have you heard of Pirate's Cove, or do you have your heads in the sand? They are taking your commerce, revenue, and tax dollars! They are boater friendly, and they cater to boaters!

Here are some ideas!
Allow overnight mooring in the channel!!! Upgrade and maintain our current docks! Build more docks! Cater to the boaters, and build a first class boating atmosphere! Boaters and tourism are the bread and butter of LHC! :)bulb

The City leaders are entrusted to operate efficiently with fiscal responsiblity, and you are failing miserably. The city is a business, and it should be operated as such.

· Registered
2,344 Posts
All of this has been discussed on the boards for years. At the risk of pissing someone off, these might make sense and be doable for the city.

1. The arguement that cops would be better off seeking out murder suspects and thugs will NEVER work. Just leave that alone, Havasu or any city for that matter..

2. Overnight mooring has many dificulties for the public and LE. If there were no restrictions then a boat could be moored 24/7 for the summer. And say 300 boats moored before every holiday and left no available spaces for new arrivals, basically moored condos to part on for 4-5 days. Never work.

LE has real issues with overnights in large numbers and it will be breading grounds for crime, as a victim, or to conceal criminal activity. Not every boater is law abiding, so hearin is the issue.

The PD would find it necessary to partol the channel 24/7, at a huge cost, to protect the innocent public.

3. What would work is extended mooring hours near the HEAT or on the island side. THAT MAKES SENSE, and is a start for more good ideas.

The HEAT was not around until recently and maybe the city needs to examine that to catch up. Charile is a good person to run this up the flagpole.

Anyone else??

· Floatin dirty
4,837 Posts
Why not compromise then and at least make it no mooring between 0200-0600hrs. This way people could stop and have a good time until the bar closes and the area would be clear for those who get up early to get a channel spot also.

· 100% Pimp 50% of the Time
1,483 Posts
All of this has been discussed on the boards for years. At the risk of pissing someone off, these might make sense and be doable for the city.

1. The arguement that cops would be better off seeking out murder suspects and thugs will NEVER work. Just leave that alone, Havasu or any city for that matter..

2. Overnight mooring has many dificulties for the public and LE. If there were no restrictions then a boat could be moored 24/7 for the summer. And say 300 boats moored before every holiday and left no available spaces for new arrivals, basically moored condos to part on for 4-5 days. Never work.

LE has real issues with overnights in large numbers and it will be breading grounds for crime, as a victim, or to conceal criminal activity. Not every boater is law abiding, so hearin is the issue.

The PD would find it necessary to partol the channel 24/7, at a huge cost, to protect the innocent public.

3. What would work is extended mooring hours near the HEAT or on the island side. THAT MAKES SENSE, and is a start for more good ideas.

The HEAT was not around until recently and maybe the city needs to examine that to catch up. Charile is a good person to run this up the flagpole.
Anyone else??
I think Kokomos has been there for awhile???:D

· VOTE!
2,101 Posts
While you where there to spend money, I would venture to say that the majority of the people in the channel at that time of night are not.

I agree, it would be fun but most people would likely have their own bar on board spending little to no money in the bars along the channel.

· 100% Pimp 50% of the Time
1,483 Posts
While you where there to spend money, I would venture to say that the majority of the people in the channel at that time of night are not.

I agree, it would be fun but most people would likely have their own bar on board spending little to no money in the bars along the channel.
But they spent money in town for their personal consumption.

· Registered
1 Posts
you drove by us twice and didn't stop, wave, smile, offer a drink, nuttin. so I say you shoulda got a ticket for just askin questions...:D:D:D:D
I know how you feel.. we also saw Matt, tried to make contact and he ignores us...I don't get it..we had 3 girls on the boat with pasties ,had plenty of Patron, Eddie was well behaved...might be cause we don't have a DCB or a E-Ticket..

· Adrenaline Junkie
92 Posts
Overnight Mooring

Having spent time the last 2 springs in Havasu, I have to concur. During the day Havasu is one of the most boating friendly communities I have ever been too...especially performance boats. I tell my friends here back east that it's crazy...even the deck boats with soccer moms and 2 kids on it are running 496 HO's and sound great....it's crazy.

The set up at the Turtle (pull you boat right on to the beach with no docking hassles), and in the channel (again pulling right on to the beach no docking hassles and being able to walk up to other people's boats, and establishments, is phenomonal.)

It is really great there.

However, night time is scarey there. It is not well lit at all...and to discourage people from being able to moor their boats is a bummer. One may argue that it cuts down on accidents...but I can tell you out here (while our seasons are short), we don't have those kind of after 11pm mooring/docking restrictions...and it is a ton of fun to be able to continue your boating day, or even start your boating day through the evening hours (ie. there are occassions where we may have to go to a graduation party during the day, but can hop on the boat for dinner with friends and still enjoy the evening, etc...). There are even times when people choose to sleep on their boats - for good reason (you can use your imagination here) - but we really don't have people abusing this (meaning just parking their boat at one bar/restaraunt/beach and leaving it there for the weekend - most people want to use their boats and see/go to other places, waterski, etc... So it kind of self-manages that scenario.

I will say that with evening mooring, comes some additional responsibilities. For example, the town will have to do a better job of marking and lighting the areas. Also, to minimize accident risk there will need to be some regulations (I've seen the way Havasu brings out the best "socialization/partying" skills in those who attend). For example, most bar/restaraunts here won't allow drinking on people's boats that are moored/docked at their establishment - and the Sherrif's do patrol to try and discourage BWI.

But I can tell you that some of the most fun I've had boating includes some late night activities ;)

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.