Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 1981 sanger drag hydro in 2006 from a friend with no papers.(He said the gentlman lost the papers, it sat under a tree in Napa Valley since 1991) I went to registered it today. I had no problem with the trailer but, I was told the boat had a lien on it. The DMV gave me a # in Sacramento to call to get more info. Has anybody went through anything similar?

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
Here in Arizona, you can file for an abandoned title. If the lienholder or previous owner makes no claim, they'll license the boat to you. Check if that option exists where you are.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
The Doctor

Ca you guys answer me this - can someone put a lien on your boat in Calif if it's registered in AZ - If so, who would you guys suggest I call (IN CA) to find out - thanks in advance for your help....

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
The boat has not been registered since 1991
That would make it easier to obtain an abandoned title here.
Ca you guys answer me this - can someone put a lien on your boat in Calif if it's registered in AZ - If so, who would you guys suggest I call (IN CA) to find out - thanks in advance for your help....
It's my understanding that a lien is a lien no matter where it's filed as long as it show's on the title.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Something is very odd as the entire DMV file, electronic that is, is purged between 5-6 years. the lien unit will provide you with the info and you need to contact them to find out if they still have a claim. often the title is signed off and the lienholder does not have an interest. the problem is the title has all of this info. if you obtain a letter from the lienholder releasing interest, then you can title the boat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts