Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a lift friendly dealership in the West Phoenix area. This was my experience this week.

So I go to the dealership needing some warranty work. I roll in with my truck and the Service Writer comes out and here is what happened.

Cordial greetings by both parties.
Me - I need some warranty work done.
SW - We can't do anything for you.
Me - (standing there with a WTF look on face) What do you mean?
SW - You have a lift and big tires.
Me - So you tell me there is nothing you can do for me even before I tell you what I need done. You have no idea what I am asking for, so how can you give me a statement like that?
SW - Uhh well what is it that you need.
Me - ISS needs replaced, rattle in pass seat and the carpet on drivers side is worn through with only 13,000 miles.
SW - I'll be right back.

A couple of minutes go by and the Service Manager comes over and says no problem they can take care of everything. Then he starts to tell me that they just wouldn't be able to do anything if I had any suspension issues or driveline issues. So that is where I will pick up the conversation again.

Me - I can fully understand the suspension, I ralize I would own any of those issues and I am cool with that, but I disagree on the powertrain. If the truck is regeared then there wouldn't be any extra strain on the driveline.
SM - The problem is that no one ever regears becaus the diesel makes so much powerthey just live with it.
Me - I could see that I guess that not everyone takes as much care of their truck as I do.

That was where we kind of left it. I'm going back their today to pick up my truck and try and feel out the SM again to see if there was an issue with the powertrain if they would cover it. I don't quite worry so much about the engine blowing as I plan on leaving it stock or just a very mild tune(60hp). I'm worried more about a gasket or seal leaking, water pump or fuel pump failure. They should more than take care of that.

I also took some donuts in today when I dropped the truck off. I remember in the day when a customer did that for me, I would do some things for free.

Well I got my truck back after they lost it..lol So they said the head rest was making the noise and they fixed it. Wrong, seat still makes noise.
The Suspension Tech said that he couldn't hear the ISS making noise so there is nothing to fix. So I took the Shop Foreman out and he said yep I hear it it need replaced and when asked about the bearing, "nope, we only do the shaft". Alrighty then when I take it back to have the carpet replaced they'll do the shaft and we'll see how long it lasts.
Criminy what the hell happened with doing a job and doing it right. When I was a tech I never sent a car out like that. To me if a customer brought their car in, they feel there is something wrong. I either needed to explain it or fix it, not say I didn't find anything.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
the service manager is correct, it sux for you, but he is already stretching the rules if he does any kinda warranty work to it. sometimes gm will send out a inspector to look at the vehicle , and if they ever did and that dealer had done alot of warranty work to it that they shouldn't have done, the dealer get's a charge back from gm for, long story short they pay for the parts and labor. now how many dealers could stay in business doin that?;)

when you're on this end of that story, you'd understand the service manager's train of thought. sounds like he's doin what he can, that's more than most will do.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
I think it depends on the dealership. I take my truck to a Ford dealer, that sells and installs lift kits and other aftermarket stuff and as long as it's not a crazy high lift or something like that they are cool with it 4-6 inches is what sw told me with reasonable tire size 35-36. Now if you go in and your truck is sitting on a 10-12 inch lift and you complain about driveline vibrations or steering funny, well I dont think they are wrong for not covering it.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since I am open minded how do you feel he is correct? Bear in mind the Manufacturers cannot arbitrarily void your warranty UNLESS the modification has a direct effect on the failed part such as a boost adder and a bent rod.

What I wanted fixed were two very common failures with TSB's associated with them and a worn carpet with only 13,000 miles. How would that raise a flag to GM for a lift?

I fully accept any issues with the suspension as I have directly modified that and I'm totally cool with that. Thats part of playing, but to tell me that if my waterpump goes bad they won't be able to fix it because of my lift, that's just not right. There needs to be common sense involved in the equation.

Anyone in the business knows that a properly installed lift will not harm the engine or tranny. I believe that larger wheels and tires do not either if the diffs are regeared to compensate.

Let me throw a smiley in here so no one takes this as being angry :) and I do accept the fact that some dealerships will take a hard line against mods, but those dealerships will lose out on business wether it's service or sales.

I was told about a dealership across town that doesn't have any issues working on lifted trucks. I was just hoping to find one on my end of town.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Since I am open minded how do you feel he is correct? Bear in mind the Manufacturers cannot arbitrarily void your warranty UNLESS the modification has a direct effect on the failed part such as a boost adder and a bent rod.

What I wanted fixed were two very common failures with TSB's associated with them and a worn carpet with only 13,000 miles. How would that raise a flag to GM for a lift?

I fully accept any issues with the suspension as I have directly modified that and I'm totally cool with that. Thats part of playing, but to tell me that if my waterpump goes bad they won't be able to fix it because of my lift, that's just not right. There needs to be common sense involved in the equation.

Anyone in the business knows that a properly installed lift will not harm the engine or tranny. I believe that larger wheels and tires do not either if the diffs are regeared to compensate.

Let me throw a smiley in here so no one takes this as being angry :) and I do accept the fact that some dealerships will take a hard line against mods, but those dealerships will lose out on business wether it's service or sales.

I was told about a dealership across town that doesn't have any issues working on lifted trucks. I was just hoping to find one on my end of town.

I think you mis understood me. I agree with you, I am just saying that every warranty has to be addresed correctly in releation to what mods are on the truck. In your case I think the stealership is full of shit. I would try to find a different one to take it to. With your warranty claim has nothing to do with your mods you have done. Again I agree with you and that dealership needs to make it right.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
There is an actual law on the books to combat abuses by dealers on these warranty issues. Basicly, the warranty is valid on all of the rig unless they can prove it has been damaged directly by your mods. You replaced the springs, for example, the factory isn't responsible for them. But that doesn't mean that they aren't liable for any other parts that you didn't replace.

The best example of a gray area would be the wheel bearings if you put on a different offset wheel - even then they would have to prove that the extra offset caused the wheel bearings to fail.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
What about a dealership that will install a lift or any mods? When we bought our truck we could have bought it with the lift installed, but I didn't trust them:).

·
Formerly CMac
140 Posts
Not sure where you went, but Midway on bell has treated me good in the past with two trucks I had, one lifted and the other 2500HD converted to 10 bolt dually, both with other mod's.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
There is an actual law on the books to combat abuses by dealers on these warranty issues. Basicly, the warranty is valid on all of the rig unless they can prove it has been damaged directly by your mods. You replaced the springs, for example, the factory isn't responsible for them. But that doesn't mean that they aren't liable for any other parts that you didn't replace.

The best example of a gray area would be the wheel bearings if you put on a different offset wheel - even then they would have to prove that the extra offset caused the wheel bearings to fail.
You're right the law is the Magnuson-Moss warranty act. They must prove that the lift was the reason for the failure before denying a warranty claim. They can't simply void the airconditioner warranty because you have a lift. As far as the powertrain warranty goes he is correct, Toyota states in their warranty that changing the angle of the drive line will void the warranty and they're within their rights to do so. In our case we lift trucks and we will push as much through warranty as possible but we also know that if Toyota denies the claim we are stuck eating it, so we sublet out the lift work to a reputable vendor in that case we have someone to fall back on to eat some or all of the denied warranty claim, sometimes it's better for them to pay a $1000 warranty claim than lose a $40,000 a month account. Also in the case that a lifted truck comes in that we did not do we did not push any farther than what Toyota allows with warranty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts