Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Havin a great day, just figured out my cam is toast. The intake on # 6 has a special "new grind". I know the lifter isn't supposed to be directly over the lobe , but my # 6 is offset so badly to one side it already it damn near touches the lobe next to it, I think I already know the answer here, but does anyone have a pic of what normal is , and is there a magic fix for me like a retro roller dealio or will a bad lifter align. 86 one of those too.

·
steelcomp was here
26,527 Posts
You need to post a pic of this one.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will no later than monday, left my cord at work. The lifter itself is 1/4" shorter than the rest(and cupped like a motha). The lobe still has some ramp to it . lol As far as alignment maybe it's not so different than the rest.

·
steelcomp was here
26,527 Posts
I will no later than monday, left my cord at work. The lifter itself is 1/4" shorter than the rest(and cupped like a motha). The lobe still has some ramp to it . lol As far as alignment maybe it's not so different than the rest.
That's too bad. Problem with that is, all that missing material has been circulating through your engine for a while now. Best scenario advice...tear it down for a thorough cleaning and new bearings and probably new oill pump. Worst case scenario...new cam and lifters, new oil filter and an oil change, but your engine is only going to go down hill from here. The damage is done.

Guess now we know why you've continually needed to adjust your lash.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't got there yet. but my plan was to pull the back main, (thrust bearing) and see what it looked like. Doesn't all the oil go through that bearing 1st???????????

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Try moving the cam from front to back. To loose and maybe it is walking on you?

·
Registered
282 Posts
oil runs down the main gallery and 5 4321 almost instanly together so likey your engine is toast,also all that metal sheading off the lifter dripps right on that piston skirt and rubs in the cylinder up and down,also check the thrust surface behind the cam gear hopefully thats not ate since you said your lobes where so for off center,that can be surfaced and use a thorington bearing sproket,sounds like a bad weekend for ya:mad:

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol. At least I can put a v-8 together.:D
How would a machinest determin if you have a bore issue?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had a similar problem... cam lobe went missing as did at least a 1/4" of the lifter. Piston skirts were ok, bearings were toast, cylinder walls were ok, crank needed to be cleaned up, oil pump was junked to be safe. Decided on a new crank, new pistons, new rods, new cam, new lifters, pushrods, etc. Roller cam upgrade in process right now to prevent this from happening again in the future. Expensive lesson learned on my end.

Good luck with the rebuild.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep it sucks. Ironic that I didn't go roller because I had to save money. What's that saying someone on here has buy once cry once.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Dang, every time I turn around latley somebody is rubbin my nose in something.:)grn At the risk of spaming publicity for my other thread, would I need a stud girdle for a hyd roller, with alum heads?? 700 lift ish?

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Dang, every time I turn around latley somebody is rubbin my nose in something.:)grn At the risk of spaming publicity for my other thread, would I need a stud girdle for a hyd roller, with alum heads?? 700 lift ish?
If it makes you feel better mines broke too. Whats a hydraulic?:D I wouldnt bother, wouldnt spin high enough and not a whole ton of spring presure. Prob more like 650 lift no?

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My machinest is with you 71 as far as the solid only dealio. My prob. is I don't think they make one small enougph for my combo. 650 would be about right.?? I think???? I was told my flat with 560ish lift was too much??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts