Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it a bad idea to lift the boat from the intake using a floor jack? I have to do a small repair and it seems easier to lift it from the intake, rather then using a engine hoist and lifting from the engine mounts. I would be using a long enough 2x4 across the intake to avoid direct pressure in the water intake area.

I've seen a few lift the boat a few inches from the bunks and place a few extra 2x4's, so the boat would rest on the 2x4's during bottom repairs.

My engine is obviously out to reduce weight. :D

·
tintingsandiego
1,063 Posts
A few years back I needed to replace the bunks and do some minor bottom hull repair. I used a floor jack on the trailer. While in the air, I used 2 jack stands with carpeted 4x4's on top of them. I put one on each side of the hull then I lowered the trailer. I also put a jack about 2/3 up the bottom with a carpeted v and raised the front. Boat sat a few inches off the trailer and was able to due all repairs. I now have a hoist and would go that route.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Is it a bad idea to lift the boat from the intake using a floor jack? I have to do a small repair and it seems easier to lift it from the intake, rather then using a engine hoist and lifting from the engine mounts. I would be using a long enough 2x4 across the intake to avoid direct pressure in the water intake area.

I've seen a few lift the boat a few inches from the bunks and place a few extra 2x4's, so the boat would rest on the 2x4's during bottom repairs.

My engine is obviously out to reduce weight. :D
Floor jack and 2x4 will work fine. Keep all pressures as close to transom edge as possible. Be sure and use additional suports for safety. I do it almost daily in my shop

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
Shouldnt be a problem, do it off the shoe mounting pad, if the engine was in probably not the best idea and using a hoist would be the way to go

Chris

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I just raised it about 2 inches and placed a 2x4 on each side. Thanks again fellas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts