Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
should i run all return water threw them??i cant decide how do you guys that run them on jets have them plumbed????

i know they are double jacketed and all but still very short headers and i am scared of reversion,or just to much damn water running threw them.

im wanting to plumb them up like regular headers,run a dump to the lake and regulate what water runs threw the headers.

thanks for any help or advice.travis

these are on my unlces new 496bbc i built and in a taylor lp.cam is a extreme marine grind xm296hyd.roller under 250 @.050.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
should i run all return water threw them??i cant decide how do you guys that run them on jets have them plumbed????

i know they are double jacketed and all but still very short headers and i am scared of reversion,or just to much damn water running threw them.

im wanting to plumb them up like regular headers,run a dump to the lake and regulate what water runs threw the headers.

thanks for any help or advice.travis

these are on my unlces new 496bbc i built and in a taylor lp.cam is a extreme marine grind xm296hyd.roller under 250 @.050.
Not entirely sure what you mean by "DOUBLE jacketed" since there IS a pre-heat mod to std. jacketed Lightnings you can order, but it is an extra item, special order.

Std jacketed Lightnings I have plumbed this way:

Gate valve screwed to my steel pump inlet line.

Hose run from valve to "T" @ front of engine.

2 hose lines from "T" to water inlets @ water pump location.

2 water outlets from thermostat housing. These go, 1 per side, to the distributuion manifolds below the headers.

All lines so far are 5/8"

3/8" lines, 4 each side, to the bottoms of the headers ports. All outflow water goes thru my headers.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts

Got rubber hoses connecting the headers to the exhaust tips? Restrict water flow and you'll burn the hoses out. After that everything in the boat will be cooling off due to the water rushing in. Choice is yours. :D

·
AARP Member
732 Posts
I agree with Oldsquirt.

Run full water all the time. The water dosn't get back into the exhaust flow until it hits the outlet. Lightning says their double jacket headers have no reversion. I have had two sets on two boats. No problems. One boat was a Jet.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats what i needed to know,perfect guys thanks.:D

smokin,these are just like yours im sure by the way you describe them.thanks .hope to see ya again this year:)hand

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had to run another cold water supply line from the other side of my Legend jet just to the Lightning Headers to cool them down. They just ran too hot if they were plumbed like the logs I took off. Now I can touch them anytime. Ran a ball valve near the inlet just in case something happened but for the most part, it's wide open.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
thats what i needed to know,perfect guys thanks.:D

smokin,these are just like yours im sure by the way you describe them.thanks .hope to see ya again this year:)hand
Sorry, we're gonna miss you all this year. Money is too tight, Lowrider is a trailer queen in the garage, all 2009. Hoping for a busy 2010 (hell, hoping just not to get laid off! LOL :D

My best to ya hotbo.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, we're gonna miss you all this year. Money is too tight, Lowrider is a trailer queen in the garage, all 2009. Hoping for a busy 2010 (hell, hoping just not to get laid off! LOL :D

My best to ya hotbo.

i totally understand.were not going to do much either.the 496 in lp is doing great.the headers worked out great also. Mark should be happy.see ya next year.:)handtravis

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
just curious - do you guys drain the little supply manifolds (also draining the jackets) when not in use???

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i told my uncle to drain them.i dont know if others do it or not.

lots of water left standing imo.travis:D

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
reason i ask is, i recently had a set given to me. guy had routinely beaten the crap out if his jet, never took care of it, pretty much hosed up everything. one side had pinhole leaks in a couple of lower loops (some about 1/8"), so he just bought a new set rather than try and fix these. we welded up the holes and they're at the coaters. i still have to get all the plumbing, new exhaust tips and hose, but even with that, couldn't beat the price.
there was some thinking that the inlets on those tubes became partially plugged and overheated. but i bet it had more to do with leaving water standing in there for extended periods...

·
AARP Member
732 Posts
Draining water.

My supply manifolds are aluminum and the Lightning headers are stainless steel. I don't think standing water is a problem, however, I do drain the block and lines when it sits too long.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
just curious - do you guys drain the little supply manifolds (also draining the jackets) when not in use???
Normally, going to the lake every few weeks (or every weekend, no, I do not. Just at the end of the year, adn throw a bit of pink glycol in there.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
My supply manifolds are aluminum and the Lightning headers are stainless steel. I don't think standing water is a problem, however, I do drain the block and lines when it sits too long.
hey al, these jet lightnings are stainless inner tubes, and carbon steel outter tubes. i'm thinking the previous owner -never- drained the manifolds, and that they sat for many months at a time without running. i'm thinkin i'll drain 'em after every trip. i like smokin's idea too... once i get 'em on, i'd like 'em to last awhile.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Whenever I pull the boat out of the water I open the petcocks on the headers to drain and leave them open until I put the boat back in the water.

·
Registered
358 Posts
reversion

yes there is revision on the headers my cam was to big to much revision on over lap sucked water at iddle 698 int 700 ex
I was told the same thing similar deal 270 dur. @ 50 lighting said only safe way was to have the inter lining run pretty much to the tip and the water would exit like 6" from the end (custom app.)

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Duration is key here and to have the exhaust valve close at a certain point. Typically around 250 @ .050 is the max, even with extended jacketed runners. If the tips are below water level, it will suck up water from outside the boat at idle. Talk to Jan at Lightning for specifics, he will be happy to spend the time to talk to you about choosing a cam that works with these headers. I have bought two new sets from him and he has been most pleasant to deal with both times.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts