Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I do all my own stunts.
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wondering if anyone can give me any answers/numbers on HP loss running lighting headers on a jet, vs. OT bassets with water. i no i missed listing some type of info let me no if u have any info

·
northern member
602 Posts
wondering if anyone can give me any answers/numbers on HP loss running lighting headers on a jet, vs. OT bassets with water. i no i missed listing some type of info let me no if u have any info
you might be surprised . i've seen dyno sheets shared by guys testing lightinings to dry headers and they were almost the same for powerband and peaked within a hundred or so of each other .

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
grady, i wouldn't think there would be a lot of difference in header performance, except you have to run a lot more water through the lightnings to keep everything cool. with ot's, it's just mist... nowhere near as much water with the ot's...

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I had a set of lightnings on my gullwing when I bought it and just didn't like them but did gps the boat with them. I ran 84 mph with the lightnings and 83.9 with the bassett water injected headers. Seems that there is not much loss at all. I know that is not an actual hp comparison but to me that is what matters most. The disparate on a dyno could be significant but performance is still there. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Jan has lots of data from dyno testing. He has an in house dyno. O hp loss going from wet OT 's to lightnings. Now completely dry stacks is another story I think.

·
I do all my own stunts.
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow ok very interesting to hear, i was told possibly 30 hp losses and that got me worried. what to do i already had the holes filled in thru the transom, looks like im back to cutting or mabye wait and see where the swimsteps land :mad:

btw thanks for the replys:)devil

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
wow ok very interesting to hear, i was told possibly 30 hp losses and that got me worried. what to do i already had the holes filled in thru the transom, looks like im back to cutting or mabye wait and see where the swimsteps land :mad:

btw thanks for the replys:)devil
Keep in mind you will be limited on how much duration you can run with lightnings. That will cost you hp. If you have to go to a smaller cam from where you are now. I had to go to a smaller cam on my deal to accomodate going from completely dry stacks to lightnings. Although in the end I lost a mere 150 rpm. Went from 6150 to 6000 rpm same impeller. Now I'm going to throw a couple points of compression at it to get back to where I was.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts