Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What lightweight battery are the serious jet drag racers using to crank their engines?

·
Sophomore Member
80 Posts
Is there really such a thing as a 12v battery that has the juice to crank over high comp. engines and still be light weight?? I never thought those two qualities could co-exist in a battery. :)sphss

·
Sophomore Member
80 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
we have a 6 lb lithium battery from braille battery that starts a 11 to 1 LS7 cost 1500.00 if every pound counts and just bought 3 of there 21 pound AGM batteries for the cruiser to start it and run the stereo give it a year or two and i can tell you how it works out

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
I see alot of Braille batteries lately, size of jetskii batterys. Iam not a fan of those, nothing worse than something that wont fire. Seen one that the voltage gets way low towards the end of a run when using nitrous.

I like the Odyssey PC925

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I ran a garden tractor battery. I think it was 325cca. Got it from wally world, think it was $39.00. Worked great for a pump gas deal. It didn't run anything but the bildge without the engine on. Alt ran everything after startup.
Be safe, schick

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
Had a discussion with a customer today about batteries for his drag/river boat. My feeling is to get something fairly light but stay away from these jetskii size batteries, they dont have the reserve capacity IMO. You can find the weight saving somewhere else and have a boat that starts instead. Nothing worse than getting towed off the course cause your battery isnt good.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
odyssey 925 for drag boat never had an issue cranking 15 to 1 big chief, nitrous, no alternator.
odyssey 1200 for river boat can run stereo for a long time with no problem starting.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I run a braille #3121 with an alternator. It's 21lbs , & about 15-1. Chris is right , it dont have alot of reserve power , but aint let me down yet.......knock on wood

·
Banned
861 Posts
I use an Odyssey that weighs about 49 pounds. It's mounted up front to help hold the nose down. It likes to lift quite a bit (regardless of hardware setup).

RiverRacer uses a 19 pound XS Battery. 550 CCA, very compact but NOT a JetSki/Cycle battery.

Cranks over a 15+ to 1 big engine with no problem(much faster than a group 24 Marine DieHard @ 49 pounds), and a 90 minute reserve to boot. Priced under $200.00.

Check them out. I'll get you the part number if it'll help you out.

JMO

T :)hand

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I see alot of Braille batteries lately, size of jetskii batterys. Iam not a fan of those, nothing worse than something that wont fire. Seen one that the voltage gets way low towards the end of a run when using nitrous.

I like the Odyssey PC925
Does it take NITROUS to go fast ? :)hand

1 - 20 of 36 Posts