Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today while prepping my block for paint I went to set the heads on and the little guides were missing. I guess when they machined the block they didn't put them back on. Where do I go to get these.. thanks :D

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
First stop is back to the machine shop.

When they look at you dumbfounded and stutter about not having any idea where they went, I'm not so sure where the next step is. OEM Mfr. could get them I am certain. Might take a week or so.

·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is not the response I was looking for:D

·
It's what we do
723 Posts
Any shop that assembles engines will have them. We have tons. You'll just have to be lucky enough to find somebody open at this time.
Good luck

·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the one I wanted to hear. Thankyou:D:)hand

·
Engine junkie
142 Posts
They are available new too, Like BD said, no problem to get at any engine machine shop.

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
Depending on how good (or old) your local NAPA store is, they may have them.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Just go get a piece of all thread and make some temporary stud guides, slide heads in place, install bolts. That being said, are block dowels even necessary especially if you got a helper? I've installed heads several times without em. Nothin too serious ever happened:D

·
TEN THIRTY ONE
1,293 Posts
Just go get a piece of all thread and make some temporary stud guides, slide heads in place, install bolts. That being said, are block dowels even necessary especially if you got a helper? I've installed heads several times without em. Nothin too serious ever happened:D
Uhh??? :)eh:)

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
uhh what?? I'm not saying leave the all thread in the block. Just use as a guide then remove and replace with bolt. Same principle as a studded block or am I missing something?

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Since the dowels are a much closer fit to all 3 parts than the fastener is, they locate all 3 parts exactly, and the fastener only provides clamping force.

There are helpers at the factory too, why do they still machine for and install them?

IMO yes, they are necessary, or they wouldn't be there in the first place.

·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Tim but I think I can find some around here. I will hit Bob Mckrays Monday:)coffee

·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Busby. Hey do you want to buy some mattresses?:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts