Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
"BOATLESS"
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday day took my brother in-law out on a Nitrous pass, coming out of the pass my motor started to crap out.:mad:

Got towed in, put the boat on the trailer, started pulling $hit apart.
Took off the valve covers, sparkplugs, ect, checked compression everything looked good.

Boat would start up fine but you gave it any gas it would pop.

Figured we would leave it alone, start drinking and thinking what could be wrong all that night.

Next morning figured we would do the basic stuff and see if that would fix the problem.
Bought sparkplugs, MSD cap, rotor and coil, change it all out and still did the same pop:mad:

Now were thinking water in the gas, about to start sucking gas out of the tank and my brothers 10yr old son says "hey dad, Koralynn's plastic shovle is inside the scoop", both me and my brother look at each other and say "no way!!!"
Sure enough while doing the nitrous pass my daughters toy plastic shovle flew in the scoop choking out the motor!!
Took the shovle out, started the boat, runs perfect!!!:)

Live and learn, check scoop for crap first and before going fast make sure everything is out of your boat!!

LOL, boat ran perfect all weekend long after that, went through 15gallons of nitrous.:)devil

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
good thing you didnt get too deep into the motor, we all have learned that lesson.....I have more than ONCE!
K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) .... I always have to remind myself when the panic sets in.

·
on 3 go.....
846 Posts
Trev,
Boat's looking good and too funny on the shovel. Gotta love kids.

Now, where's your vest???

At minimum, invest in a Lifeline "poker run" jacket.($200?) They have the straps to keep it on and will float you on your back.

Stay safe and talk with you soon.

Gene

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Hate to admit it, Don't feel bad. Last week at the track, My second pass, I left on my scoop cover on.:)sphss That was only one of the mis-haps I did. On another pass, I didn't get my divereter all the way up. Should I go on.:D

·
"BOATLESS"
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trev,
Boat's looking good and too funny on the shovel. Gotta love kids.

Now, where's your vest???

At minimum, invest in a Lifeline "poker run" jacket.($200?) They have the straps to keep it on and will float you on your back.

Stay safe and talk with you soon.

Gene
Yea i wear one every time i hit the squeeze.
The photos posted we just for looks:)

·
Purple headed member
7,646 Posts
I had a similar problem last year. Got the boat ready to launch (hooked up the battery, removed the scoop cover, checked the oil) and fired it up. It was running like crap and we could smell the raw fuel. First thought was that the plugs were shot. As my friend started pulling spark plugs I reached in the scoop to remove the hold down and there I found a nice beach towel. MY 17 year old son had placed it in there before we made the 9 hour trip up north not knowing that I had a scoop cover made for it. :)sphss
I removed the towel and it ran flawlessly........

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
Same here!!

Pulled the scoop plug out barely could get it to fire, smelled gnarly of fuel....turns out I forgot about the towel I place over the carb for towing....Felt like a complete turd, more so than I already am!

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
Blender boat looks Great man but you keep hittin that juice like that you gonna be lookin for a new motor :D

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Friday day took my brother in-law out on a Nitrous pass, coming out of the pass my motor started to crap out.:mad:

Got towed in, put the boat on the trailer, started pulling $hit apart.
Took off the valve covers, sparkplugs, ect, checked compression everything looked good.

Boat would start up fine but you gave it any gas it would pop.

Figured we would leave it alone, start drinking and thinking what could be wrong all that night.

Next morning figured we would do the basic stuff and see if that would fix the problem.
Bought sparkplugs, MSD cap, rotor and coil, change it all out and still did the same pop:mad:

Now were thinking water in the gas, about to start sucking gas out of the tank and my brothers 10yr old son says "hey dad, Koralynn's plastic shovle is inside the scoop", both me and my brother look at each other and say "no way!!!"
Sure enough while doing the nitrous pass my daughters toy plastic shovle flew in the scoop choking out the motor!!
Took the shovle out, started the boat, runs perfect!!!:)

Live and learn, check scoop for crap first and before going fast make sure everything is out of your boat!!

LOL, boat ran perfect all weekend long after that, went through 15gallons of nitrous.:)devil
Glad to hear yours was a simple fix. Mine not so much!:mad:

·
"BOATLESS"
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glad to hear yours was a simple fix. Mine not so much!:mad:
What did it end up being, going to ruin the summer?

I just got finish telling Dan in the cove that my boat never breaks because it dosent have enough power to hert itself, he told me to go knock on some wood, 10 minutes later this happen:)sphss had me worried for a while...

·
no need 2 fake it.
1,702 Posts
Hate to admit it, Don't feel bad. Last week at the track, My second pass, I left on my scoop cover on.:)sphss That was only one of the mis-haps I did. On another pass, I didn't get my divereter all the way up. Should I go on.:D
I've definitely done the scoop cover before too. Left the sandbar to run back up to the store and get some immodium (always feel like i have to drop a huge duecer as soon as i get to the sand bar) hammered on the throttle expecting to see about 5900 rpm and could only pull about 3700. slowed down and went to turn back around and go back to the sandbar and try to figure stuff out, went to make the turn and realized that the scoop cover was still in, i think Blunder was the only person to know that story until now haha.

·
The Man
1,788 Posts
Scoop cover got me before too. I used to use a black taboggan to cover up the opening, and was in a hurry at the ramp and forgot all about it. Only found out that it was the culprit after stopping at a gas station on the way home and couldn't find it in the back seat where I always threw it :mad: :)coffee

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
Should merge this thread into the backwards vs. forwards scoop thread!

Lot of good arguments for either way here. Backwards to keep plastic shovels and cigarette wrappers and other crap from clogging them, and forwards so that you can turn around and see that you've forgotten to take the cover off! :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts