Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what type of bolt are you guys running in your loader? stainless bolts and nuts? grade 8 or ?

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,102 Posts
5/16" black oxide with a dab of anti seize. Stainless steel bolts will end up darn near getting welded to the aluminum over time.
After reading up on this on Hotboat I switched to the black oxide, but I had never had a problem with stainless for 16 years. Just checked them before every trip to the river ( the had never seize on them) and checked them after the first day. I do the same thing with black oxide and the black oxide tend to back out more than the stainless ever did. I'm going to through bolt them when the boat goes back together.

In anycase either one will work and you need to watch them regardless.

Sleeper CP :D

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Stainless is fine for the lake boat, but if your getting serious about it, you should consider black-oxide thru bolting.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
5/16 x 1 1/4 should be long enough and will leave some thread exposed past the nut. on mine I can't put nuts on the front 2, I run a shorter bolt so it doesn't hit the oil pan. The bolt still sticks out past the boss but not enough for a nut.

i may just switch to black oxide thats what I was thinking which is why i asked. I usually pull the hardware off in the winter and have never thought about what type of bolt should be in it till this year for some reason.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
5/16" Stainless countersunk head, allen (internal hex) wrenched. Threaded my back-up plate to matching thread, then jam-nutted atop the backing plate with Nylocks, and anti-sieze on them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts