Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I figured how would be a good time to pull the loader, check and replace bolts etc.
It had the short bolts in it, which I will replace with longer bolts, so I can put the insurance nuts on the inside.
I couldnt get them broke loose, broke an allen off by hand in the first one, in the left one I twisted the allen with a my impact, I was going very slow and could see it twisting. After a few choice words I got the heat out. I will be drilling out one bolt. But got the rest out...finally.
broke.jpg

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
These can be a bitch, specially laying on your back with limited room to work We "overdrill" & tap to 5/16 NC and use Grade 8's thru the top of the casting and nylocks , also should be checked/inspected regularly , on another note , for those with broken bolts which result in "oversize holes we also recently employed some very cool inserts for a little differerent set up Tom

·
"BEER BUDGET RACING"
3,621 Posts
So I figured how would be a good time to pull the loader, check and replace bolts etc.
It had the short bolts in it, which I will replace with longer bolts, so I can put the insurance nuts on the inside.
I couldnt get them broke loose, broke an allen off by hand in the first one, in the left one I twisted the allen with a my impact, I was going very slow and could see it twisting. After a few choice words I got the heat out. I will be drilling out one bolt. But got the rest out...finally.
View attachment 149072
I did the same thing with mine, the stainless bolts were just gaulled in the threads. I shit canned those and am going down to the Rule co. and getting some grade 8's. I ended up whacking them with a hammmer and cussing and using PB blaster and cussing some more but they came out.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Actually we had better luck with flat heads instead if allen's. I used to put a floor jack under the screwdriver and jack pressure up on the screwdriver then just turned it with a open end wrench. If you run a Firebird or in salt water anywhere if is a good idea to pull off all your hardware when you are finished. Pulling off hardware after running at places like that if you let it sit is a tree you do not want to climb!

·
"BOATLESS"
3,468 Posts
Actually we had better luck with flat heads instead if allen's. I used to put a floor jack under the screwdriver and jack pressure up on the screwdriver then just turned it with a open end wrench. If you run a Firebird or in salt water anywhere if is a good idea to pull off all your hardware when you are finished. Pulling off hardware after running at places like that if you let it sit is a tree you do not want to climb!
Thats a great idea..

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did not think that slotted head bolts are race legal? I am not racing this boat, so I will definitely use what I have.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
I had to drill all 4 of mine out and retap to next size up.
I had to do that on the rear of the intake when removing the ride plate. One of the bolts seized and snapped the head.

Not to thread jack but I have a question:

My intake was drilled way to big for the bolts. So there is a lot of play and the intake comes loose all the time and I have to tighten it. Is there and easy fix to this? Bigger bolts don't seem to be an option. The holes are about 7/16". I had no idea until me and Dave Ebbert were replacing the bolts and saw how huge the holes are. It looks like someone drilled out previous bolts and used way too big of a bit. :((((((

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I had to do that on the rear of the intake when removing the ride plate. One of the bolts seized and snapped the head.

Not to thread jack but I have a question:

My intake was drilled way to big for the bolts. So there is a lot of play and the intake comes loose all the time and I have to tighten it. Is there and easy fix to this? Bigger bolts don't seem to be an option. The holes are about 7/16". I had no idea until me and Dave Ebbert were replacing the bolts and saw how huge the holes are. It looks like someone drilled out previous bolts and used way too big of a bit. :((((((
Whats the size of the hole thats "too large" ?

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
I run 3/8" loader bolts in my Comp Jet !
Not a bad idea anyway! I have used a butane torch on the inside boss and heated till hot let cool then reheat hit with impact or t wrench! Next time put longer bolts in that allow you to get 2 nuts on the inside with a little slack between boss and it can be used as a helper when jamed to turn it out also! ANTISEIZE it's azz off next time and check regularly!

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
AntiSeize is ur friend:cool: Loaders and it's bolts should be checked regularly and if done so they won't seize up!!!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Ya been there:), I had to weld Allen onto bolt and then wrench off!!! Sucked . Dissimilar metals will fuse over time

1 - 20 of 26 Posts