Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I'm No Expert
3,142 Posts
Unless they are one peice i doubt they can be used together. The loader bolts where the rock grate goes and if you tried to double them up you would have a huge peice chunk sticking out the bottom. I think if you took a loader and put some bars on it to do a grate type deal it would be restrictive. But maybe not, I"M NOT EXPERT!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless they are one peice i doubt they can be used together. The loader bolts where the rock grate goes and if you tried to double them up you would have a huge peice chunk sticking out the bottom. I think if you took a loader and put some bars on it to do a grate type deal it would be restrictive. But maybe not, I"M NOT EXPERT!
I guess to start with I've got to put a better rock grate/guard in place than what I have. The one I have now is almost wide enough to put a baseball through it. I sucked up enough bigger rocks yesterday, the size which plugged the impeller and therefore stopped the flow of water to the engine and stop propulsion. No guard in effect, as is.

Thanks for your reply though!!!

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I guess to start with I've got to put a better rock grate/guard in place than what I have. The one I have now is almost wide enough to put a baseball through it. I sucked up enough bigger rocks yesterday, the size which plugged the impeller and therefore stopped the flow of water to the engine and stop propulsion. No guard in effect, as is.

Thanks for your reply though!!!
Shut off the motor in the shallow stuff and maybe a rock grate is wht you need. a hole big enough to get a baseball through is wrong though. Even a full open center loader won't allow that.

Cy

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, there are only 3 rails in the rock grate. You know how larger the pump intake is. Those rocks are in the 1 1/2" x 2". I hope I can get them out through the hand hole cover.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is not a standard Rock grate. Someone made that. A normal rock grate has 6 or so vanes in it. I am sure someone has one around.

Cy
Cy,

I've got one but it's short. I've got a neighbor who said bring it over and hell make me one out of stainless steel. Another good thing is I have an intake that he can build everything to fit before I install it.... Now I hope the holes in the intake are the same pattern. :)

If I could get under the boat on the trailer I could take some better photos.

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Cy,

I've got one but it's short. I've got a neighbor who said bring it over and hell make me one out of stainless steel. Another good thing is I have an intake that he can build everything to fit before I install it.... Now I hope the holes in the intake are the same pattern. :)

If I could get under the boat on the trailer I could take some better photos.
Don't overthink the moustrap, or something like that... you have a 12JC intake and a stock 12JC rock grate, it should be the perfect match. If you start adding screens and such to the intake you might run into cavitation problems or something, I don't know...

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't overthink the moustrap, or something like that... you have a 12JC intake and a stock 12JC rock grate, it should be the perfect match. If you start adding screens and such to the intake you might run into cavitation problems or something, I don't know...
The expanded steel screen I was going to use was going to be pretty open just adding a little more protection from potential rock plugging. I'm going to jack up the trailer and crawl under there and pull the one out that is there and build from there. I still have to get the rocks out of the impeller.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts